Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Brake Pads And Discs

My car's a 2002, and in 2005 I changed the front pads and discs, and now in 2008 it appears I need new front pads and discs again........

Are they supposed to last the same amount of time like that? I've done just over 40k miles I think, and seeing as both sets have lasted exactly 3 years and similar mileage it doesn't seem too weird, but just wanted to check as from other cars we tend to change the pads maybe twice before they need new discs :unsure:

You should be able to use 2-3 sets of pads on one set of discs.

If you are doing lots of stop/start driving then you will find you get through discs/pads quicker.

I got 100k out of my rear discs (they went through 2 sets of pads in my ownership)

Thanks mate, most of my driving is stop/start around town so I'd imagine it's not too bad then..........

What do people recommend in terms of brakes, before I drop another £400 (or thereabouts) at Lexus for a new set of pads and discs, can I get the same quality for less money?

Why not buy discs/pads from eBay (mintex ones)/or get the discs/pads from Lexus and get a local garage to fit them? At least you'll save some £££ in labour.

Why not buy discs/pads from ebay (mintex ones)/or get the discs/pads from Lexus and get a local garage to fit them? At least you'll save some £££ in labour.

Hmm, just had a browse on eBay and they are really cheap! How good are these Mintex pads and discs though - I like a bargain as much as the next guy but brakes are one place I don't like to play about much.......are they as good as or better than the Lexus OEM stuff?

Why not buy discs/pads from ebay (mintex ones)/or get the discs/pads from Lexus and get a local garage to fit them? At least you'll save some £££ in labour.

Hmm, just had a browse on eBay and they are really cheap! How good are these Mintex pads and discs though - I like a bargain as much as the next guy but brakes are one place I don't like to play about much.......are they as good as or better than the Lexus OEM stuff?

There are a lot of Mintex users on here including me :)

They are good quality stuff.

Why not uprate them using 3G RS10's grooved and dimpled dics? I think a set of front costs £175+mintex front pads. Mintex pads are alot less dusty than OEM ones and i find it has better bite when you press the pedal nearer the end, but than the grooved disc also improves braking if you do alot of braking. Your discs should not wear out same time as pads, as mentioned above, should be around 3 pads per disc. As a note you can get the disc coated with non rust film which stops them from rusting straight after they get wet (e.g a wash). The only part that will get rusty is the circumference where the pads have contact with the disc, but a few stops and the rust would be rubbed off.

disc001.jpg

You could get your discs skimmed (if there is enough meat left on them) if you want to keep/get maximum value out of your Lexus OEM parts and put mintex on when your discs reach their limit. Check out www.skimmydiscs.co.uk for more information.

Cheers for those replies :)

@VVProtocolVV: Is there much of a difference with having grooved discs to the normal ones? They seem to cost quite a bit more, and obviously look quite cool, but will I get a performance difference as well?

@Smiffyboyben: I thought about this, but the guy at kwik fit said that they normally recommend replacement at 30mm, and the warped disc is at 30.46 so skimming isn't really an option unfortunately.

I have Mintex pads all round (fitted at the WIM LOC Knowledge Day). I would recommend them to anyone.

They stop very well, and you know I don't hang about :whistling:

The pads cost about £35 plus about £13 p+p (Item number: 280077154941), but there are places that sell

them on E-Bay with genuine Mintex Discs for good prices, or go aftermarket performance with the discs.

Cheers for those replies :)

@VVProtocolVV: Is there much of a difference with having grooved discs to the normal ones? They seem to cost quite a bit more, and obviously look quite cool, but will I get a performance difference as well?

I've had mine for i think over 5 months and around 4k miles (with grooved disc and mintex pads) and i think they feel firmer than oem ones, but im not heavy footed, so im probably not using them to their performance gains. The grooves suppose to channel the any gas/heat/dust/water etc away from the disc, which would benefit more so under speeding/contiunues/wet braking. I can report that i do feel the difference even during everyday braking and like you said, they do look the bees and knees as well if you're into the looks. Quite a few other members on here have the same combination and are happy with it. BTW i still have oem rear disc, but with mintex pads, which will be upgraded once the rears disc is worn below minium requirement. My front disc was changed around 65k on the car, so it's hard for me to understand how short your disc last compared to the pads. Maybe worth a trip to WIM, to find out why its doing that. Is it that you have a heavy loaded car most of the time? Just like yourself i had to change the front disc because it was under the minium size "30mm?" and mine was warped (steering wheel and gear stick was shaking when driving between 50mph to 60mph, also had a seized caliper which didn't help at the time).

How can I tell if my front disc are warped etc? I think there very past it sadly as I dont recall the last time they where changed if ever 107k miles 99plate it probably deserves a new set anyway(I know pads have been changed over the years an rear discs). I have a 100k service to face as well, will probably be getting rid of the lex in the next 6 months. But brakes & geo are a must now cant drive in this condition anymore, I dont understand why the MOT didnt pick it up.

Any links to trusted ebayers who are selling the mintex pads please drop me a pm thanks.

Last note are they easy to fit yourself? need any special tools? Or is it easier to just get the garage to fit them?

**Update** Found a seller a few of you guys have used for mintex disc, so no longer need that help, just an idea of how to check that it's the fronts that need changing.

Edited by chrisis200

I dont think it is actually the "Disk" its self that warps (others may correct me if im wrong). But i believe after heavy braking the pads and disks get hot, and if you then come to a stand still in traffic with your foot on the brakes you get material transfer from pad to disk, With this next time you brake you get a juddery feeling. Not 100% on this but something i was told a while ago.

Your disks should, also have a witness mark on them to indicate if they are low or not, its on the inner lip of the disk.

Disks and pads are easy enough to do. shouldnt take too long and if you can get a tool to push the piston back into the caliper it makes it easir if not just use some big stilson grips :D

Should be a walk through in the knowledge section?

Tom.

Ok I'm a little confused now, I started this thread after having a free brake check done at Kwik Fit and them telling me I needed new pads and discs at the front..........

However, I just had the car serviced at Lexus yesterday and they said the pads will last another 2-3k miles and didn't say anything about the discs.......

Is it possible the Kwik Fit guy wasn't being completely honest in order to make a sale? :unsure:

Just have a look on the inside lips of the disk and you can use your own judgement on if you need new disks? Just remember if you do get new disks you need new pads too :P

Just take your wheels off and rotate the disk untill you get the lip and have a look. some pics for reference! my disks came off after 30k miles and were replaced with prolex grooved and braided hoses.

Disklip.jpg

Disklip2.jpg

Hope that helps,

Tom.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links