Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Hid Conversion Installation Issue

Steviewevie

Attempt #2. Pushed the connectors together as far as they would go. Didn't work. Reversed polarity of 12V wiring by plugging in connector on ballast the opposite way round - didn't work.

Looking at it from the side, I can see clearly what the problem is. The connectors are not going together far enough, no matter how hard I try to force it. They go in so far but get stuck. Looking at the side, there's no way the pins inside the female (HID) connector are engaging with the male (car) connector.

I'm going to have to try filing/sanding down the male connector to try and make it fit further in. I wonder if they are using slightly different connectors on this kit which are a bit different thickness ?

mate.. pm me your mobile number.. had the same problem and was an easy fix..

ok, I got one side installed and working ok, yay ! Thanks to Redz_uk for suggesting plugging the brown car connector straight into the ballast. This meant that I didn't need to worry about the other connector not fitting since I didn't use it.

Still contemplating where to mount the passenger side ballast though, since there's less room there. If I'm going to plug straight into the ballast then I can't mount it as per WylieCoyote's photo, it won't reach that far.

Could stick it between the air box and diagnostics connector, but then you wouldn't be able to get the lid off the diagnostics connector.

Hmm ...

Got it all installed and working, woo-hoo ! :D

I went back to my original solution of cutting down the connector so that I'd still have long wires to play with. I cut approx 5mm off the HID female connector with a hacksaw and filed down the edges so that it was smooth. This then connected no problem whatsoever to the brown bulb connector in the car. Could have done this on the driver's side too, but short-cutted the problem by plugging directly into the ballast, as previously described.

Then it was a matter of that fiddly passenger's side lamp installation, and I ended up using sticky pads to put the ballast in the same location as WylieCoyote's picture.

Oh, and as usual the wiring needed reversing too, but this was just a matter of plugging the connector the "wrong" way into the ballast, which was trivial.

The lights look cool in the daylight, can't wait till it get dark !

Thanks to all of those who have offered suggestions. Feeling very chuffed now ! :D

glad your saga has come to an end, HID's are great :D

Thanks. Yeah, I did go for a drive in the dark last night and they were excellent. I'd say they were even better than the factory-fit HIDs on my old car ! (although that was 9 years old so the bulbs would have been getting old)

Awesome upgrade, well worth the money.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links