Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Thoughts On An Extended Is250se-l Auto Mm Test Drive

As a precursor to ordering a SE-L Auto MM and just to make sure that it's what I want, I managed to blag a four day loan of one via Lexus GB (organised by the very nice folk at yvf.co.uk). It's due to be picked up tomorrow and in the interim I've done a couple of hundred miles or so of varying road types.

What a car...

Likes: extremely comfortable, well put together, with some awesome technology in it; the way it lights up at night when you approach it; the lit footwells at night; the almost seamless gear changes; the rear camera on reverse; the dial and switch layout; fuel economy seems pretty good, although I have only driven it "enthusiastically" on a few occasions; the external look of the car; auto everything it seems; quietness of the cabin.

Quibbles: the endless nannying on the sat-nav, its complete failure to recognise local place names and the lack of a full seven digit postcode input; ditto with the Bluetooth to dial out on the move; the smart entry not unlocking the rear doors and auto lock not releasing the other doors when wanting to exit the vehicle (although I accept that I have not read the UM in detail and there's probably some setting up adjustments that can be made); ride is a bit firmer than I remember from my old IS200Sport Auto; not enough bass on the sound system!

Dislikes: nothing thus far.

That's me sold then! Will be ordering today, with delivery at the end of the month. Can't wait!

the smart entry not unlocking the rear doors and auto lock not releasing the other doors when wanting to exit the vehicle (although I accept that I have not read the UM in detail and there's probably some setting up adjustments that can be made);

The 'auto-locking releasing the other doors when exiting' setting can be changed. The dealer can do it, or you can try it yourself. IIRC you can have it so that engaging Park unlocks all the doors (that's how mine is set I think), or opening the drivers door unlocks all the other doors.

I agree with you about the lack of 7-digit postcodes on the sat-nav - that's a bit of a shame. You can dial out on your phone while on the move so long as the number is one of your speed-dials.

the smart entry not unlocking the rear doors and auto lock not releasing the other doors when wanting to exit the vehicle (although I accept that I have not read the UM in detail and there's probably some setting up adjustments that can be made);

The 'auto-locking releasing the other doors when exiting' setting can be changed. The dealer can do it, or you can try it yourself. IIRC you can have it so that engaging Park unlocks all the doors (that's how mine is set I think), or opening the drivers door unlocks all the other doors.

I agree with you about the lack of 7-digit postcodes on the sat-nav - that's a bit of a shame. You can dial out on your phone while on the move so long as the number is one of your speed-dials.

The speed dials only hold 17 or so. It's shame you can't access the Phone book on the phone.

You can, however, use the phone (assuming it's securely attach to the dash) to dial as and hen you want.

Nice one, I'm sure you'll be happy with your purchase :)

And btw, it is possible to hack the satnav to remove all the nannying but whether you decide to do that on your new car is up to you!

This was a good review- very fair and highlights some real problems with M/M. The autolocking is not a major issue - that can be done manually (!) and it requires reading the lexus manual to make it work automatically

On fone, the lack of UK postcode is very painful.

Problem is that the M/M system is so good that we note its flaws. For example, the other cars (unreliable Merc, temperamental and underspecced BMW) simply do not have these options, so we expect the funtionality to be as good as the reliability and appearance. Phoning on the move is easy once you upload your fonebook to car, except the problem of scrolling forever through fonebook to find numbers. IS250 great for receiving calls, and only easy to make them if you have just one screen of numbers.

Its a superb looking car that will depreciate heavily in 2 years, but then last forever.

Nothing looks as good as the IS - and it will always start, so you have made an excellent choice, good luck with it

As a precursor to ordering a SE-L Auto MM and just to make sure that it's what I want, I managed to blag a four day loan of one via Lexus GB (organised by the very nice folk at yvf.co.uk). It's due to be picked up tomorrow and in the interim I've done a couple of hundred miles or so of varying road types.

What a car...

Likes: extremely comfortable, well put together, with some awesome technology in it; the way it lights up at night when you approach it; the lit footwells at night; the almost seamless gear changes; the rear camera on reverse; the dial and switch layout; fuel economy seems pretty good, although I have only driven it "enthusiastically" on a few occasions; the external look of the car; auto everything it seems; quietness of the cabin.

Quibbles: the endless nannying on the sat-nav, its complete failure to recognise local place names and the lack of a full seven digit postcode input; ditto with the bluetooth to dial out on the move; the smart entry not unlocking the rear doors and auto lock not releasing the other doors when wanting to exit the vehicle (although I accept that I have not read the UM in detail and there's probably some setting up adjustments that can be made); ride is a bit firmer than I remember from my old IS200Sport Auto; not enough bass on the sound system!

Dislikes: nothing thus far.

That's me sold then! Will be ordering today, with delivery at the end of the month. Can't wait!

good luck with the new limo and your dealership,

if cost of ownership is not one of your thoughts on owning a IS250 auto then its a great car with a few flaws - as in previous posts Lexus has dropped a few boll-ocks in their design ie the brakes - between 20k you will have to replace both front discs and pads if you do alot of town driving ,you may have to top up youe engine oil every 2-3k - no built in phone docking system -watch out for tyre wear and problems with cd auto changer - intermittent engin rattle on start up .

plus points

great looking car - good engin and great autobox - fair mpg - great *****-pit to drive in -lots of toys -head turner - and yes your dealership should look after you but you may have to make your point if you get problems .

cheers

swager

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links