Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Wiring Speakers

Hello all,

A friend if mine needs to wire some 6x9's into his car but he has no back speakers already. I have done this before but it was a while ago and havent done anything with speakers, subs and amps for ages.

He has 2 outputs on the back of the headunit and one is taken by an amp, the amp is a 2 channel amp and one is taken by a sub.

Where can the cables be connected to? Whats the best way to do it?

Thanks all

so the hu has two phono outputs..

there are many diff combos on how to wire eg:

fronts and sub off amp (best for sq) (4 channel amp)

rear and sub off amp (poss more volume)

you could as asked above run the rears off the amp if itsa 4 channdel or the hu should have rear speaker outputs..

whats the hu, amps and speakers being used??

I dont believe so, i did think that the front speakers can run of the headunit and the rear of the amp

But there is a sub using one channel of the amp, so is it ok to use one channel for the 2 speakers

Hi Rik,

normally a Head Unit will have speaker outputs otherwise know as High-Level (powering speakers from an internal amp inside the Head Unit)

and many will also have RCA Phono outputs for connecting to the Low Level input of a suitable Amplifier. Some amplifiers make this more

complicated by having a High-Level input too.

If the Amplifier is a 2 channel type, you will need 2 channels to drive 2x 6x9's (unless it is a Tri-Mode Amp, Kenwood used to make a lot of these).

As the Subwoofer is taking one of the Amplifier outputs, this means the 6x9's will need to be connected to the Rear Left & Right Speaker outputs

from the Head Unit.

He's just bought a new headunit which now has 4 outputs and so hopefully we can run the fronts and rears both of the headunit and then just the sub of the amp.

Cheers for all the help guys

That's the way you want to do it.

You will probably find that the 2 channel amp has both it's channels bridged into one mono channel for increased power to the sub.

If the car has no rear speakers as standard then you will need to lay speaker cable from the headunit to the rear shelf and ure done.

• 4 weeks later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links