Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Vais Ipod Kit And Toms Navigation Override Device

Today I came across a discussion here regarding the VAIS iPod kit which provides far superior functionality to the standard Lexus iPod kit. In the process of speaking to VIAS today they put me in touch with a UK dealer and installer who has been very helpful in answering my questions so far. I am very keen to have this fitted to my Nov 2005 RX-400h.

While we discussed the iPod kit he also mentioned a TOMS override device which is explained as follows:

"We can supply a TOMS override device, which like the Vaistech kit, plugs n plays onto the system and gives you a small discreet button to override the lockout features whilst on the move (phone, navi, watching dvd etc..)"

I've read a few discussions on here regarding the on-the-move feature disable on the Lexus and as far as I could see the conclusion was it was not possible to override this. Has anyone come across this TOMS device before? I believe the device is the one from this page called "TV & NAVI Over-ride":

http://www.tomsracing.co.jp/e/product/interior.htm

My wife and I find it very frustrating she can't program the Navigation system while I drive so this would be great for us. I'm not interested in watching videos on the move obviously!!

Any thoughts?

You can easily override the lockout feature and instructions for how to do this have been posted on the forum before. It involves gaining access the wiring behind the radio unit and fitting a simple switch to interrupt one of the inputs. When the circuit is interrupted the nav system thinks the car is stationary and all the features are enabled. It does however also mean that during that time your position is not being monitored. I can't tell from the TOMS website how their system works. If it fools the nav system into everriding the lockout while still allowing the system to monitor your position then that would be an advantage.

I don't know how to attach a pdf file to this post so try searching the forum for the thread or I will gladly send you the instructions if you email me. If you are having someone fit the VAIS iPod gadget then adding the override would be very easy....

Best of luck !

• 1 month later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links