Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Upgarde Or Not?

Nilesh

Hi guys and Girls....

I have a IS 200 LE on a 53 plate.... 50K service due although the car's only done 37K.

Now I need a service which I found cheap for £128 from:

http://www.onlinelexus.co.uk/Servicing/Fix...or-4-years.aspx

Also I need CAM change as my car is 5 years old. Although I have read I do not need to change until 100K Miles

Also I have the Judder Syndrome from the clutch So this may need replacing...

I'm not sure how much Lexus charges for the CAM or the Clutch anyone have any Ideas?

Also I was thinking if I should just upgrade to a IS250 Sport? I was speaking Lexus who have offered me £9500 for my car with a full Lexus service History.

any ideas? do I spend monies on fixes or do I upgrade to the new IS?

Hi guys and Girls....

I have a IS 200 LE on a 53 plate.... 50K service due although the car's only done 37K.

Now I need a service which I found cheap for £128 from:

http://www.onlinelexus.co.uk/Servicing/Fix...or-4-years.aspx

Also I need CAM change as my car is 5 years old. Although I have read I do not need to change until 100K Miles

Also I have the Judder Syndrome from the clutch So this may need replacing...

I'm not sure how much Lexus charges for the CAM or the Clutch anyone have any Ideas?

Also I was thinking if I should just upgrade to a IS250 Sport? I was speaking Lexus who have offered me £9500 for my car with a full Lexus service History.

any ideas? do I spend monies on fixes or do I upgrade to the new IS?

Lexus quoted me about £1000 for doing the clutch and that was about a year ago :blink:

Hi Nilesh,

I think you first need to decide yourself whether you want the new 250 model or not, what your total budget, how much you intend to use the car etc etc. Naturally being the next generation IS, it is a better car. But you must factor in other elements such as the bigger engine size and running costs that go with it (road tax, insurance, service costs etc etc). That being said, with the current climate conditions, if your dealer gives you a one-off deal then it may be a no brainer!

Also the lexus website states service prices start from £128 IIRC and not that they'll firmly be £128.

If your looking for everything to be done at a reasonable price, I'd recommend Derek @ Tech One in Sidcup. He's done a full service, and I mean everything (all the fluids and belts) bar the fuel filter (as it's located in the petrol tank) on two of the three IS200s in the family. The third is booked in as we speak.

He's an ex Lexus/Toyota senior technician who simply setup his own business right opposite the dealer and has been trading so for many years. :D

He'll give you the relevant Lexus stamp and paper work for £39/per hour as opposed to Lexus dealerships rates of £100+

Hope that helps somewhat, good luck in your decision!

Hi Nilesh,

I think you first need to decide yourself whether you want the new 250 model or not, what your total budget, how much you intend to use the car etc etc. Naturally being the next generation IS, it is a better car. But you must factor in other elements such as the bigger engine size and running costs that go with it (road tax, insurance, service costs etc etc). That being said, with the current climate conditions, if your dealer gives you a one-off deal then it may be a no brainer!

Also the lexus website states service prices start from £128 IIRC and not that they'll firmly be £128.

If your looking for everything to be done at a reasonable price, I'd recommend Derek @ Tech One in Sidcup. He's done a full service, and I mean everything bar the fuel filters (as there in the petrol tanks themselves) on two of the three IS200s in the family. The third is booked in as we speak.

He's an ex Lexus/Toyota senior technician who has simply setup his own business right opposite the dealer and has been trading so for many years.

He'll give you a Lexus stamp and everything still and all for £39/per hour labour as opposed to Lexus dealerships £100+

Hope that help, good luck in your decision!

Hi Purvesh,

I had forgot about the TAX £400... mine is still £210 but that because it was registered before 2006.

I have the budget to get the new car Although I would need to take 10K on a loan...

I will look up your contact and see if I can get the Clutch and CAM done... and if it's not much more I'll get the service done too... It will win win since I get the Lexus stamp.

Don't fancy paying £1000 for a clutch from Lexus... and I'm sure if I took it Croydon it will top that price they seem to be very expensive.

If your clutch judder is slight it might just be normal, I wouldn't have thought you'd need to replace your clutch?

You will need a cambelt on the 60k/6yr service but I've heard of Lexus dealers doing it as cheap as £180.

The new IS250 is nice, I think the road tax is in fact cheaper than the IS200 because the emissions are below 225g/km, putting it into the lower tax band. But I don't know if I'd buy a new one in the current climate, could lose a lot of money. Personally, I'd keep what you've got until things settle down a bit.

Hi Purvesh,

I had forgot about the TAX £400... mine is still £210 but that because it was registered before 2006.

I have the budget to get the new car Although I would need to take 10K on a loan...

I will look up your contact and see if I can get the Clutch and CAM done... and if it's not much more I'll get the service done too... It will win win since I get the Lexus stamp.

Don't fancy paying £1000 for a clutch from Lexus... and I'm sure if I took it Croydon it will top that price they seem to be very expensive.

Re the loan, watch the interest rates for obvious reasons!

He'll definately do the cam as he did mine. Good tip, while the other belts are off just get them changed aswell, there very cheap! That way you have piece of mind for some time to come...

Again, change the clutch depending on how bad the judder is. The manual IS in the family does have a slight judder from stand still, but with a few more revs applied it's not that noticeable. See what price Derek quotes and ask his advice on it.

Mention my name, and he'll look after you :)

I've got to say if you're thinking about buying a new car, now is the perfect time to do so. They are not selling anything, so they are really desperate meaning you'll be able to push for a really impressive deal - this is illustrated by the p/ex value they've offered you of £9500 which is higher than I'd expect.

I just had my cambelt replaced at £650, plus if you factor in the extra £200 of road tax on the IS200 (as long as you get an IS250 auto) and the better fuel economy, you'll be spending less than you think on the new car.

I'd see how good a deal you can try and haggle out of them on the new car before making a decision (unless of course you're still just really attached to your IS200 as I am :) )

I've got to say if you're thinking about buying a new car, now is the perfect time to do so. They are not selling anything, so they are really desperate meaning you'll be able to push for a really impressive deal - this is illustrated by the p/ex value they've offered you of £9500 which is higher than I'd expect.

I just had my cambelt replaced at £650, plus if you factor in the extra £200 of road tax on the IS200 (as long as you get an IS250 auto) and the better fuel economy, you'll be spending less than you think on the new car.

I'd see how good a deal you can try and haggle out of them on the new car before making a decision (unless of course you're still just really attached to your IS200 as I am :) )

Hi Guys...

The judder is slight... To be honest I didn't even notice until Lexus picked it up on Last years service. Seems that it is a common problem with the IS 200.

I might leave the cluch as it doesn't bother me much.

I had been looking at the econ rate for the IS250 and I don't see it's much different from the IS 200 which prompted me to think of the change.

The IS 200 and 250 have is 28.8 mpg quoted.... the emissions are 231 for the IS 250 compaired to 233 for IS 200 Manual.

I cannot see the running cost being any more for a IS 250 apart from the TAX or am I wrong.

I do like my IS200 a lot and I am attached to it... it's been very reliable and apart from general wear and tear... brakes etc I have not had much go wrong with it... but the IS250 I seen is tempting... it stands out from the rest of the standard IS 250 I have seen... see below.

http://lexusucl.en-gb.r66.co.uk/CarFullScr...mp;Id=501838112

The car is packed with gagets... DVD, Multimedia pack, Paddle shift, adaptive Crusie and ias lights and on top they mentioned online that they are taking offers on this car.

I'm going to have a talk with Lexus take a trip down there today. it seems to be a good time to do so... plus I can walk away if i feel like not buying the car... I suppose it won't leave with the what if's

it's going to be tough!

Yep that's a really nice one, got the bodykit on too and the newer smoked alloys :winky:

I'm really interested to see what kind of deal they'll do, I'm pretty sure it'll be something pretty good. If it's Edgware Road, do you deal with AJ? He's always been pretty good with us..........

However, those figures you've quoted are for the manual, the auto is much better. CO2 is 214g/km (putting it under the magic 225 meaning its still £200) and combined mpg is 31. Whenever I've had courtesy cars and used them around town mainly, I've still got around 27mpg which is far better than the IS200, plus you have the extra power and that silky gearbox.

If they offer you £9500 for yours, I'd work towards a cost to change of under £15k and get them to throw in free servicing for a few years as well :)

Yep that's a really nice one, got the bodykit on too and the newer smoked alloys :winky:

I'm really interested to see what kind of deal they'll do, I'm pretty sure it'll be something pretty good. If it's Edgware Road, do you deal with AJ? He's always been pretty good with us..........

However, those figures you've quoted are for the manual, the auto is much better. CO2 is 214g/km (putting it under the magic 225 meaning its still £200) and combined mpg is 31. Whenever I've had courtesy cars and used them around town mainly, I've still got around 27mpg which is far better than the IS200, plus you have the extra power and that silky gearbox.

If they offer you £9500 for yours, I'd work towards a cost to change of under £15k and get them to throw in free servicing for a few years as well :)

Hi i'll keep you informed.... Going up there today dealing with AJ

That service looks cheap if it is fixed at that price.

At your age/mileage you should not need a clutch or a cam belt.

Just because your car is pre-2006. You are not safe from government rape, sorry, Vehicle Exercise Duty. Think you will find it will be £400ish in the next year or two for all IS200s registered after March 2001.

That service looks cheap if it is fixed at that price.

At your age/mileage you should not need a clutch or a cam belt.

Just because your car is pre-2006. You are not safe from government rape, sorry, Vehicle Exercise Duty. Think you will find it will be £400ish in the next year or two for all IS200s registered after March 2001.

Just payed a visit to Lexus Edware Road....

AJ is sooo cool.. He looked after me very well. I haven't met a sales person like him.

He a sales guy who's on our side for once.... trying to get me extra's and everything.

The IS 250 Sport is a dream.... B) Although I didn't take it for a test Drive.

After crunching all the figures he offered me 7500 (£5000 for my car and £2500 of the list price of IS250). He thought my car was a Auto that's why he quoted 9500.

and two services free of charge as a package.

On the other hand... Lexus are running a promo of £3000 off a new Lexus IS (this month) on top of that Lexus are willing to give (5K + 1200 of the new car). So 5K+1200+3K=£9200

So when it came down to basic figures during finance it worked out cheaper for me to get a Brand Spanking new one. And the re-payments were £30 a month cheaper and the car would be the same spec plus I get more back when selling it.

However for me to get the £3000 I need to have ordered the car and registered this month.... guess what they don't have one in stock I would have to factory order it which takes four months. Hence no extra off..... :shutit:

I told AJ I would think about it but now i'm more confused than ever.....

*EDIT* Just re-read that, was being stupid :wacko:

It's often you'll get a better deal when it's new as it makes their sales figures look better, personally if you're interested I'd take those figures to another (or two) dealerships and see what each one will offer (don't tell them they don't have it in stock though)

And yep AJs a top bloke, really decent which makes a change for a car salesman...........

*EDIT* Just re-read that, was being stupid :wacko:

It's often you'll get a better deal when it's new as it makes their sales figures look better, personally if you're interested I'd take those figures to another (or two) dealerships and see what each one will offer (don't tell them they don't have it in stock though)

And yep AJs a top bloke, really decent which makes a change for a car salesman...........

Well... I done it now....

Went down to Lex today.... Went on a small test drive

Asked them to throw in Road Tax for the year, Full tank of Juice and the all important mats. The best part is that my Tax runs out on the IS200 at the end of sept so I saved £210 on taxing mine. and I get the 10K service before delivery. The 20K service and 30K service all thrown in.

Pick up the car next week.... :winky: Not the best of the best deals but it's a good deal never the less....

The hardest part is parting with the IS 200 as I became a little attached to it...

Thanks for all your help guys.... been a real help. :)

''After crunching all the figures he offered me 7500 (£5000 for my car and £2500 of the list price of IS250). He thought my car was a Auto that's why he quoted 9500'

£9500 part ex for a 53 plate IS200 auto , he's pulling your plonker surely

''After crunching all the figures he offered me 7500 (£5000 for my car and £2500 of the list price of IS250). He thought my car was a Auto that's why he quoted 9500'

I though so too... looking on auto trader I know prices have dropped.... but I don't think I got a bad deal... not the best deal but hey!

Parthiban, I got the used one.... I couldn't wait four months... I would not have got the 5K for mine if I waited.

Erol at Edgware showed me the profit figure for the car and they made a loss on it by 1700 quid and AJ's commission showed up as him owning them 2 pence.

I will sure to post up new Pic's when I get the car....

B)

I though so too... looking on auto trader I know prices have dropped.... but I don't think I got a bad deal... not the best deal but hey!

Parthiban, I got the used one.... I couldn't wait four months... I would not have got the 5K for mine if I waited.

Erol at Edgware showed me the profit figure for the car and they made a loss on it by 1700 quid and AJ's commission showed up as him owning them 2 pence.

B)

Congrats on the new purchase. A sleepless night on Thursday then...:P

B)

Congrats on the new purchase. A sleepless night on Thursday then...:P

I'll have a more sleepless nights I pick up the car on the 1st.... week is going slow already....

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links