Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Help! Locking Wheel Nut Removal!

When I purchased my car recently I found out that the locking nut key was unfortunatly missing and so was the key number. After some research I came across locking wheel nut removal sockets which have internal threading but reversed so that the sockets can lock onto the nut and therefore remove it. Unfortunatly I've found out that the locking nut removal sockets can break easily as well and most of the ones available are the Laser branded which is the brand that a lot of companies including Halfords are pulling off their shelves. I went to Halfords today to find that the only set they had which was Laser branded was damaged as well so can someone help me with my predicament please?

Is there anyone in the manchester area with a decent removal set or with the knowhow of removing locking nuts without damageing wheels? I've found most of the parts for my car but until I sort this issue out I wont be able to take it to a bodyshop.

Cheers

Get really undersize socket.

Use club hammer to bash it on (expect to take a few minutes doing this, but it's great fun particularly if you call the nut/bolt by various impolite names).

Put bar in socket and turn in normal way.

If socket goes on easily then it's not small enough.

This works. I've tried most other things. The sockets you talk about are meant to be used with windy drills.

Oh, I used a sledge hammer as well, but you don't need to. Felt great, just like basil Fawlty lashing his car (Austin 1300?) with a branch, as car (Wife's BMW) had given me all sorts of grief.

well if you live in manchester.. just park it up in a dark part of town and stand back.. within 15 mins some little hoodies will turn up with bricks and a jack...

wait till they have the wheel nut off that you need then scare them off.. nowt better than theives to get off a locking wheel nut...

Another option failing that is to either let the tyre down then call out the AA or RAC (if your a member) as they have the propper tool..

Go to a breaker yard, as a lot of the time they keep all the spare locking wheel nut keys.. find one thats close then force the old ones off..

MAC tools and Snap on do propper ones, i have a set of the MAC ones and they are great.. mostly designed to be used with a impact driver rather than by hand..

Other than that.. you may get assistance at the usual tyre outlets

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links