Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Mini Cooper - Tyre Problems

Rob's Lexx

Hi all,

really need some advise/suggestions if possible.

the missus has an 01 mini cooper.

for the last few months it been making a progressively louder rumble/creak when on the move - especially around corners. the noise isn't as audible at higher speeds, but at low speeds it really does sound awful and is made worse by cornering.

now we've checked everything. replaced brakes as they needed doing anyway, checked shocks, bearings etc etc, but all seems fine.

the noise was initially coming from the rear we think and so as a last resort we checked all tyre pressures and rotated the rears to the front. the noise is now definitely from the front and is a whole lot worse - presumably as these wheels are now the turning wheels??

the mini uses run-flats and the tread seems fine.

is there a known problem with run flats that may be causing this?

is there any other suggestion people can think of?

i've heard a lot of talk about tyre cupping, but not really sure if this would manifest itself in such a way.

the problem is, i dont wanna get the tyres changed and it not be the problem and in the same breath i dont want it to solve the problem for 6 months and it then start again.

any ideas and suggestions really appreciated as she's starting to do my nut now, lol!!!

Our 02 plate was the same Rob, but put it down to the crappy run flats so changed them to normal tyres and found it a lot better but we sold the car before we had chance to see if it was the runflats making the noise after a bit of wear? But it did handle a lot better with the Pirelli P3000 tyres fitted as i think the run flats were way to hard for the car?

You should just give it to me mate and i'll look after it for you or swap it for my lex :D

she's getting rid anyway mate, but not for a couple months

didnt think u can put normal tires on as wont it affect the spring loading and therefore balance and handling of the car?? also, of course, causes an issue with spare tyres.....

i'll run my hands round em in the morning and see if i notice anything unusual

she's getting rid anyway mate, but not for a couple months

didnt think u can put normal tires on as wont it affect the spring loading and therefore balance and handling of the car?? also, of course, causes an issue with spare tyres.....

i'll run my hands round em in the morning and see if i notice anything unusual

Ours was fine on them mate gripped like poo to a stick too :lol: are yours the 175/65/15 tyres? cant remember now as its been a while since i saw your mini :)

I'm thinking of having another one mate as i love how much fun they are ;)

can't remember the tyre size mate, but they're the 16's not 15's.

i'd only be concerned about handling/suspension issues with standard tyres instead of the firmer runflats. also got that extra issue with no spare and if she gets a flat my head will be on the block :lol::lol:

Get a can of tyre weld - Much easier than replacing a wheel by the roadside.....also (and feel free to correct me everyone) I dont believe its a legal requirement to have a spare in this country? Its just if you have, it needs to be legal (ie ok tread etc)

The Mini compressor system in the boot works quite well mate :D you'll just have to lend me it for a day so i can have a look at it :winky: :lol::lol:

lol.

mate ur more than welcome to come round and have a nosey. would appreciate the input really as dont wanna be bent over by the garages to be honest!! maybe after the meet or something?? or even before??

Ok, this is the most mechanical thing I'll ever say - have you checked the constant velocity joint?

cv joint was checked i believe, but that wouldn't be an issue as the problem went from rear to front when changing the tires over.....

cheers for the ideas guys, any other suggestions appreciated

My sister has a black Mini Cooper with the aero bodykit and 17" wheels and I HATE the thing around town - feels like its got no suspension and I agree the standard fit Pirelli's do seem too hard. I would expand more on my thoughts on the Mini, but my sister is looking to sell it soon so will slag it off properly once she gets rid of it! :lol:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links