Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

What On Earth Is This

coolrides

DSC00449.jpg

DSC00450.jpg

DSC00448.jpg

while i was having a hoke about my engine bay looking for somewhere good to duct air for a new induction kit i noticed the grill had a almost solid plastic plate behind it held on by clips. as you can see it looks very restrictive so i ripped it out and also removed the bonnet insulation. but the question is what was it for in the first place. only thing i can guess is like a winter driving cover to keep out the cr*p.

any ideas?

does the sports grill have it too

It doesn't actually, because with the sport grill you can see into the engine bay more. The twin horns are clearly visible, which ruins the effect of the sports grill a bit to me :huh:

Great, I've just realised that my sports grill will let more crap into the engine bay and I'll be having to clean it more!!!

i would say that it prob would not make a big big diff to the drag because the grill would still catch wind with plate in. but must surely do much better job cooling induction. have been looking for somewhere to put an air intake for a forced induction filter like a bmc covered filter but the bay is tight and so far can only see a space straight through the floor plate under engine or go in from the bonnet. cut out for a small scoop. still not sure yet. bonnet needs sprayed anyway along with bumper

It doesn't actually, because with the sport grill you can see into the engine bay more. The twin horns are clearly visible, which ruins the effect of the sports grill a bit to me :huh:

You can always paint the horns to make them blend in more. Or you can go the opposite way and paint them a different colour to make them stand out.

I guess you could always move the horns too, if you wanted.

You can always paint the horns to make them blend in more. Or you can go the opposite way and paint them a different colour to make them stand out.

Been thinking about that actually, have you had any success with this? I was thinking of painting them black to try and hide them.

Been thinking about that actually, have you had any success with this? I was thinking of painting them black to try and hide them.

Move them down behind the bumper Guys, there are some threaded holes in the crash bar that you can screw them into :D It does look a lot better when you cant see them :winky:

Move them down behind the bumper Guys, there are some threaded holes in the crash bar that you can screw them into :D It does look a lot better when you cant see them :winky:

Cheers mate! Well useful.

Does the bumper need taking off for this or can it be done with everything in place?

Did anyone try moving their horns as discussed above ? This issue is beginning to bug me myself now, think I'm going to have to move mine.

Is it just a simple unscrew, move, and screw back in job ? Will I need different bolts for the holes behind the crash bar ?

I did this on my old 200 - very very easy job. Unscrew the nut/bolt that holds the horns in place. Down the same central bar you'll find another hole behind the bumper - fix the horns in place there with a nut and bolt and a couple of washers (same bolt that was used before doesn't fit in the new hole AFAIR). No need to take bumper off.

Great, I've just realised that my sports grill will let more crap into the engine bay and I'll be having to clean it more!!!

Don't worry, most of the crap will be caught in the rad and not go into the engine bay!

Why not remove the horns completely and replace with multi tone fog horns?

any ideas on a good intake spot? only goin to put a bonnet vent if completely necaserry for forced induction kit

Forced induction kit? Do you mean cone type filter on a pipe to replace the air box? ProLex do the best one, sits behind the driver's side headlight, and you can get scoops to feed it if you like, and carbon enclosed boxes etc, though most people don't bother.

It's not real FORCED induction thou, unless you have a turbo/supercharger.

Don't worry, most of the crap will be caught in the rad and not go into the engine bay!

Why not remove the horns completely and replace with multi tone fog horns?

any ideas on a good intake spot? only goin to put a bonnet vent if completely necaserry for forced induction kit

Forced induction kit? Do you mean cone type filter on a pipe to replace the air box? ProLex do the best one, sits behind the driver's side headlight, and you can get scoops to feed it if you like, and carbon enclosed boxes etc, though most people don't bother.

It's not real FORCED induction thou, unless you have a turbo/supercharger.

i mean sealed induction kit that does not draw any air from engine bay. like a bmc sealed induction kit. will figure somet out, dont like to be beaten. lol. one idea so far is to come in from the floor of the engine bay or a small bullet style scoop on bonnet. would prefer to not cut the bonnet if i dont have too lol. may have a go at a fibre glass bonnet, my dad used to make spoilers ect so could get some advice off him and try build in a induction scoop.

I did this on my old 200 - very very easy job. Unscrew the nut/bolt that holds the horns in place. Down the same central bar you'll find another hole behind the bumper - fix the horns in place there with a nut and bolt and a couple of washers (same bolt that was used before doesn't fit in the new hole AFAIR). No need to take bumper off.

Sorry if this is a stupid question but where do I get the bolt from if the hole is a different size behind the bumper ? Sounds like an easy job as long as I can get hold of the appropriate fittings.

Sorry if this is a stupid question but where do I get the bolt from if the hole is a different size behind the bumper ? Sounds like an easy job as long as I can get hold of the appropriate fittings.

I'd love to give you a technical answer to this with the exact length and width of bolt you need but TBH all I did was nip down homebase and buy a bag of nuts and bolts that looked right with some washers. As long as the washers are wide enough and the bolt is tight enough it'll be fine. :) AFAIK the hole you want to use behind the bumper is not threaded so you'd have to use a bolt + washers anyway.

I'd love to give you a technical answer to this with the exact length and width of bolt you need but TBH all I did was nip down homebase and buy a bag of nuts and bolts that looked right with some washers. As long as the washers are wide enough and the bolt is tight enough it'll be fine. :) AFAIK the hole you want to use behind the bumper is not threaded so you'd have to use a bolt + washers anyway.

Ah, ok thanks. That sounds a bit easier then if the hole isn't threaded, i.e. you don't need an exact fit. Will have to check that out soon ! :D

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links