Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Petrol In My Diesel Is220d

ejbarbour

Hi,

Last week my car all of a sudden was really struggling to start, it was trying but took ages to do so, once started it seemed to judder at low revs, therefore I pulled over and called my lexus garage and told them the problem. They didn't seem too concerned and told me to carry on unless anything gets worse and booked me in for a weeks time for it to be looked at.

I carried on and drove the 17 miles back to work and later 4 miles home. On my way home the engine maintainence light came on along with some other warning lights and the car was again juddering. I left it that night with the intention of calling Lexus again in the morning. In the morning the car seemed to go into some kind of mode whereas it would only drive at 5mph uphill.....on the flat it was fine and I managed to get to work before calling Lexus and insisting that they do something about it now as I refused to drive it anymore.

So long story short they took it in thursday, called me today to say that I must has misfueld the car (unbenownst to me, I cannot remember doing this but I must have) as it has petrol in the engine, and that it is going to cost me £6500 to get this fixed.

Has anyone else had this problem? Anyway of getting around a £6500 bill, also should any liability put on them as they told me to carry on driving after I gave them specific information on exactly what was happening to the car?

I'm at a loss, I cannot afford £650 never mind £6500........help

has anyone else filled the car up or was the pumps mismarked maybe, you could contact lexus GB tell them of the situsation after all u phoned lexus told them you felt concern for the welbeing of the car due to the vibrations etc and you feel that this problem could have been cleared up earlier before more damge was done but they insisted on booking u in for a few weeks time you might be lucky but dont get hopes up

maybe check around other garages see what they charge for it not exactly sure what damage it would have caused to make the bill so high unless its mainly lexus personel cost etc

sorry to hear about it eitherway best of luck

The wife did this a few months ago in the Omega diesel, luckily she realised her mistake before starting the car, unknown to most people you can drive with petrol in the diesel tank and most mechanics say its around the 17% - 20% mark, so what I did was to syphon all the fuel out and filled up the tank with diesel, started and ran no problem, something that the garages wanted to charge me about 400 quid for. A daft question I know but have you tried emptying the fuel tank, banging a couple of gallons of diesel back into it, you'll need to bleed the system before you try and start it. I doubt you could cause any more damage than you have done, and you never know it just may work, after all my mates running his diesel at the minute on ex cip shop cooking oil.

£6.5k buys a replacement car, nevermind a replacement engine! (Brother picked up a 04 Honda Accord 2.2-i CDTI Executive last week for £6.5k).

Is the car under warranty? Don't think you can hold Lexus responsible for putting the wrong fuel in your car. Are you the main driver? Does anyone else drive the car? If so, have they put the wrong type of fuel in the car? Talk to Lexus GB see what they say, re: Your local dealer saying to you carry on driving when there is an obvious fault with your car.

If Lexus GB or dealer can't/won't help, suggest you try to find a replacement engine from a crashed/damaged IS220d (won't be easy or cheap to find tbh).

Hope you manage to get your car repaired quickly and cheaply.

Is there any chance your insurance would cover it?

I'm not sure they would be liable if you've misfueled it and didn't tell them that specifically..............however, I thought that a petrol fuel nozzle won't fit in a diesel (or is it the other way round? :unsure: )

Either way, sorry to hear about it and hope you get it sorted ok.

in my opinion it seems if you have put petrol into the 220d its not a large amount.

i'd get the car recovered to your nearest garage to get the tank emptied and stuck diesel in it.... and then go on from there...

good luck!

I guess the a reffering to the injectors

maybe pump

They are saying the Injection pump, 4 injectors and filter, also common rail?? They didn't say wether or not these things have specifically broken but have just said that because its had the petrol in it then these need replacing - apparently its £3500 just for the injection pump.

I guess the a reffering to the injectors

maybe pump

They are saying the Injection pump, 4 injectors and filter, also common rail?? They didn't say wether or not these things have specifically broken but have just said that because its had the petrol in it then these need replacing - apparently its £3500 just for the injection pump.

in my opinion it seems if you have put petrol into the 220d its not a large amount.

i've get the car recovered to your nearest garage to get the tank emptied and stuck diesel in it.... and then go on from there...

I'd get a local independent garage to drain it, flush the fuel system, fill bit diesel and run it a bit. Shouldn't cost more than £100, won't do any more harm. May just work?

i've get the car recovered to your nearest garage to get the tank emptied and stuck diesel in it.... and then go on from there...

I'd get a local independent garage to drain it, flush the fuel system, fill bit diesel and run it a bit. Shouldn't cost more than £100, won't do any more harm. May just work?

exactly... most threads i've read when this happens the car dies on them due to the mix being too strong in petrol... yours seems to go on so fingers crossed for you :unsure:

good luck!

I agree with above. A friend of ours did the same(filled it to the brim) and drove for about 10 miles before it stopped. My father in law syphoned the petrol out,put some diesel in and it was fine( and that was 3 years ago.) still running ok

What makes a Lexus (Toyota) Diesel so different from any other ?

Surely the tank can be drained, the system flushed and fill frsh and see if it's OK. It must be worth trting this first whether with Lexus or without them. Autoexpress did a feature on this a few weeks back and I'm sure your quote equals the highrst thet received. Think lowest was about £150.

I would be inclined to think as there were no warning lights when you reported it and Lexus told you to drive it, then the lights came on that they should ve ( partially ) respobsible.

Now if you have a receipt that says you put in diesel a few hours / minutes before then it's probabaly the petrol station to blame ... but then there would be many more people in the same situation.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links