Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Evening everybody.

Having just got back from the grand old USA for a two and a bit week holoday, I think it may have caused a slight problem with the Lexus. On ocassion, when you turn the starter, all you get is a loud ticking noise. Having checked the Battery tonight, the charge indicator is showing black. Looking at the guide on the Battery, I think this means it is in a discharged state. Are my options as follows:-

A) Have the Battery charged back up by my local Lexus Dealer,

B ) Take the car for a good long drive for a couple of hours,

C) Have the Battery replaced under warrenty, or

D) Have the starter checked.

And advice would be appreciated.

Jim.

is car still under warranty or you just talking the Battery

If car, let them sort it out without you trying to suss

If just Battery warranty then option c looks best to me. If there's an issue elsewhere they will be very quick to point it out

How old is your Battery ? I would first check the Battery if working (and not on its way out). If so get Battery replaced. If it still persists with a new Battery then it sounds like the symptoms of a starter motor on its way out. 1st eliminate the Battery, the starter isn't cheap to get replaced on an LS. I've been there with my LS400. If it is the starter and you can get it done under warrenty you will save yourself the best part of £1000.

Evening everybody.

Having just got back from the grand old USA for a two and a bit week holoday, I think it may have caused a slight problem with the Lexus. On ocassion, when you turn the starter, all you get is a loud ticking noise. Having checked the battery tonight, the charge indicator is showing black. Looking at the guide on the battery, I think this means it is in a discharged state. Are my options as follows:-

A) Have the battery charged back up by my local Lexus Dealer,

B ) Take the car for a good long drive for a couple of hours,

C) Have the battery replaced under warrenty, or

D) Have the starter checked.

And advice would be appreciated.

Jim.

If the starter is just clicking Jim, its not getting enough power through to turn it over and the clicking sound you hear is the starter solenoid engaging the drive :) Get the Battery charged up if you can and see what happens and i would think it should be ok mate :)

Thanks for your quick advice everyone it's much appreciated.

I only renewed the warrenty on the car for another two years with the Lexus warrenty about a month or so ago. Expensive but I think it's worth it. We left the car for about two and a half weeks so I would imagine with the alarm ticking over and the other million electrical things on it, the Battery must have taken a bit of a kicking. I shall be taking it for a very long run in the next week or two, approx 250 miles and if the Battery indicator doesn't go back to green, I shall be popping down to Lexus Woodford for them to sort it out.

The Battery is only a year old. It was replaced when I got the car just over a year ago. The longest the car has ever been left is just a week but we went on a longish holiday this time. I'm glad no one has said it's the starter. I know it's under warrenty but I would imagine it's a big job.

Thanks again.

Jim.

hi mate, i had exactly the same problem, and it is definitly ure Battery. it has happened a few times now, first time was the first day we got the car, messing around withthe electrics with just the ignition on, not good, then after that was when the ignition was left on all night!!! i borrowed one of them £5 Battery chargers from a neighbour and put it on charge over nite, not a problem since

Thanks Anuj.

Where I park the car as I live in a first floor flat, the underground secure parking situation I can't get a charger to it over night. It seems to be starting OK at the moment, probably where it is being used a bit more, the Battery is regaining it's charge. I have a long journey in the next couple of weeks, about 250 miles round trip so I think it should regain it's charge fully by then. It must be one of those cars that doesn't like being left for a long time.

When parking in the long stay carpark at terminal 5 in Heathrow airport, we took my Nissan Micra driving school car. I'm not going to be overly depressed if that gets damaged compared to the LS. That started OK but the Battery indicator on it was black as well. It's now gone back to green so I'm hoping all will return back to nromall with the LS's Battery.

Jim.

yep, just try not 2 do short distance journeys, as this does not help, if u can just take it out on the motorway when ure next free, get it up2 motorway speeds and just generally give it a run, it will help recharge it. ive also decided to keep a set of jumpleads in the spare wheel well just in case, not needed them yet however, touch wood.

i had same problem is defo the Battery, just needs a run/ charge. if leaving the car for a couple of weeks turn off the sensors which pick you up as you approach as these will drain the Battery quite quickly. ( button is below steering column and it may also turn off the keyless door entry so you might have to use the key like in black and white times )

I have experienced the same with my old 95 Mk III.

After charging the Battery for about 6 hours, a long run and putting some jump leads in the boot, it has been fine for the last year.

I suspect that it has the original Battery too, 13 years old and 170,000 miles of motoring.

Quality !!!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links