Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus Detail + Clay Bar

Mannyblue69

Hi folks,

Seen as we had a nice day today,and I had a day off I thought I would get out all my gear and make a start on the car!

As you are aware I am quite new to this, After listening to everybodys advice on the forum r.e clay bars various waxes and different shampoos to different types of clothes to be used... I decided to go with the following:

(1) Washed the car with Meguires car shampoo

(2) Dried the car

(3) Used Meguires detailing spray and clay bar, Panel by panel

(4) Cleaned of excess with a Terry towel provided in kit by Meguires

I have to say this is the first time using this type of product. So was a bit skeptical? The Clay-bar is absolutely :shifty: Marvelous. I felt the paint on the car before using it, It was quite rough felt a lot like sandpaper and now OMG it feels like a new pane of glass all the way round!

(5) I then applied some Auto Glymn Super resin polish buffed that off

(6) Then the last step was to apply some AG Deep Gloss Shine polish...

Got to say dead chuffed with the results, I couldnt do the inside of the car as it was getting dark by this time,anways I had to take some pics for you folks....

After all it was with all your advice that I managed to get it looking like that plus all the various websites you directed me to for info, Your help was invaluable.

you upload the photo's as instructed then next to the photos is various boxes. your looking for the one with [ i m g ] (without the spaces) around the address.

Copy that and paste it into your thread.

I imagine that blu-tack will work in getting some stuff of your car, just like washing up liquid will work to get some dirt off your car, and spit and elbow grease will help make it more shiny. But I can't see how it can realistically compete with a clay bar that is formulated for the job, especially against more long-standing and deep-seated contamination.

I imagine that blu-tack will work in getting some stuff of your car, just like washing up liquid will work to get some dirt off your car, and spit and elbow grease will help make it more shiny. But I can't see how it can realistically compete with a clay bar that is formulated for the job, especially against more long-standing and deep-seated contamination.

Thought this would surprise someone! It usually does when it is mentioned, and then there is a sceptical comment. :D

Well, all I can say is that it does, from my own experience.

If you'd like to come to a GWS meet, I am only too sure that we would be glad to demonstrate. It removes the lot!

BT takes off a lot of pollution that would not otherwise be removed, and leaves the bodywork as smooth as silk, for polish treatment. A brown deposit is left on the BT. Obviously a very weak polish solution is used as a lubricant. If you follow the above link, you will see images of results gained. There are many more available - certainly in Saab enthusiast circles - and yes we have used clay bars, too, in the past.

Hope this helps!

That is interesting, I suppose technically they're very similar compounds, low tack elastic plastics - have never clayed before but might give that a go before actually investing in clay just to see what it's all about.

What sort of polish do you use as lubricant, just any polish? (Zymol, Autoglym, etc.?)

That is interesting, I suppose technically they're very similar compounds, low tack elastic plastics - have never clayed before but might give that a go before actually investing in clay just to see what it's all about.

What sort of polish do you use as lubricant, just any polish? (Zymol, autoglym, etc.?)

Yes, I have used a weak and very dilute solution of Autoglym or stage one of Meg's three stage treatment, or you can use plain water. Powerjet, or wash your vehicle off initially, to get dirt off first. Warm the BT in your hands, using a ball shaped piece, apply lubiricant to the ball or bodywork, and use circular movements to clean, and change when it gets too dirty, or re-roll.

I have also tried this treatment without going onto a wax and polish, and the results are equally impressive, and the fine beading of water flowing off after a shower or rain, satisfying. The BT treatment gets all polution and oxidation and old wax off, and the fine bits or grain.

Give it a whirl, and you'll be very surprised at the results.

HTH

What size piece of BT do you use e.g golf ball size, tennis ball size?

Golf ball or slightly smaller, say around the diameter of a ping pong (or is that whiff-whaff?) ball. Apologies to Boris Johnson :) .You can also use your normal car shampoo as a lubricant. Light to moderate pressure when circling.

I have never had to use White Tak, although this is of a courser 'grain' than BT, and would be useful for those really, really, really, ground in areas.

Just as a teaser, below is an image of a Saab 99, which we spent two days at the Bristol Restoration Show last year, reviving the paintwork. She, too, had the BT treatment.

990.jpg

Above - Half completed!

991.jpg

Nearly finished - small interior jobs being done!

HTH

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links