Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

What Is Wrong With My Gs300 1996?

shorts360

Hi Guys and gals

I have a problem with my Gs 300 sport, I have noticed a "jolt" feeling through the steering wheel and the wheel moves slightly when the brakes are applied.

It only happens while the car is moving forward and the brakes applied, if you reverse the car and apply the brakes this does not occur.

It has just passed through the MOT which I thought would highlight this issue, but as he passed it I assumed the car is safe to drive?

It feels like it is coming from the n/s front wheel, but I can not be sure of this.

Anyone had this happen to their car? and what was the cure? :tomato:

Ta

Mike.

Funny you should say that. Mine does exactly the same and I have not yet managed to find the cause. I thought it would be picked up by the MOT too but it wasn't. I'll let you know if I find the problem.

Hi Guys and gals

I have a problem with my Gs 300 sport, I have noticed a "jolt" feeling through the steering wheel and the wheel moves slightly when the brakes are applied.

It only happens while the car is moving forward and the brakes applied, if you reverse the car and apply the brakes this does not occur.

It has just passed through the MOT which I thought would highlight this issue, but as he passed it I assumed the car is safe to drive?

It feels like it is coming from the n/s front wheel, but I can not be sure of this.

Ta

Mike.

Sounds like a sticking caliper to me i had a similar problem on a normal jz147, i stripped and rebuilt the calipers and that cured it. As long as you take it steady it should be safe (if it is the caliper) but be wary in case it snatches. I have a spare caliper around somewhere but i am not sure which side

Hi Guys and gals

Ta

Mike.

Sounds like a sticking caliper to me i had a similar problem on a normal jz147, i stripped and rebuilt the calipers and that cured it. As long as you take it steady it should be safe (if it is the caliper) but be wary in case it snatches. I have a spare caliper around somewhere but i am not sure which side

Thanks for your suggestion but I have had the sticking caliper problem on both sides and sorted that out, they now are free, I am a bit worried to drive it as If I brake hard it veers slightly to the left, along with an uncommanded movement of the steering wheel!

Cheers

Mike.

Funny you should say that. Mine does exactly the same and I have not yet managed to find the cause. I thought it would be picked up by the MOT too but it wasn't. I'll let you know if I find the problem.

Thanks for your reply, someone today said the ball joints were a problem on this model especially the sport with the 18" alloys, but if they had play in them surely this would have been picked up on the mot test?

Let me know please as soon as you find out what the soloution is.

Thanks

Mike.

Check the rubber bush on your track control arm and ball joints. As it only happens when you brake whilst going forward it is almost certainly a rubber split or perishing which will only show up in the manner you describe as the car is braking and the damaged bush allows the weight to carry on moving a small amount which causes exactly the symptoms you describe. MOT will not always pick this up especially with the new auto test systems. Hope this helps.

• 3 months later...

Thanks for your reply, someone today said the ball joints were a problem on this model especially the sport with the 18" alloys, but if they had play in them surely this would have been picked up on the mot test?

Let me know please as soon as you find out what the soloution is.

Thanks

Mike.

It has turned out to be the bottom suspension control arm(s) no2. They are the ones that go at a 45% angle towards the back of the car and are bolted to the main suspension arm. Not as simple to change as they first look. The front subframe has to be removed which involves undoing all of the front suspension and supporting the engine. Charlesworth are replacing mine while they are doing the head gasket.

• 3 weeks later...

how did u get on with this tigerfish?! the gs300 we have is the same

when the lexus technician pressed the brake, the wheel judders to a stop...not sure if its calipers or suspension, but its £367 for the parts (lower suspension arms) and about 6 hours to fit....

how did u get on with this tigerfish?! the gs300 we have is the same

when the lexus technician pressed the brake, the wheel judders to a stop...not sure if its calipers or suspension, but its £367 for the parts (lower suspension arms) and about 6 hours to fit....

Mine were replaced and the "jolting" has completely gone. Worked out at £280 for the two arms including Vat and goldie discount, plus £180 labour. Was meant to be less labour but adjuster nuts/bolts were ceized and took a lot of time to remove. I would recommend buying new adjusters bolts etc at the same time so the old ones can just be cut/ground off if neccesary.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links