Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Think i got a leaky sunroof

i used to get the odd wet patch :blush:........just above my head, it was just occasional, and after opening and closing the sunroof it seemed to stop.

Of course it got more frequent as i was noticing damp in the car (wet windows), and increasing fuel bill leaving a/c on at all times

I left it parked at work for 2 weeks and this coincided with heavy rain for a week or so. I got in it and could smell damp. A quick feel above my head told me the sunroof was dry..........but my car was on a slope so i felt the back end of the roof...Oh my god it was soaking, and water ran like a waterfall down my arm every time i touched it, so too was the rear column and the floor....puddles. :tsktsk:

At 1st i thought it was the typical, sods law, 1 in 10, roof not closing properly thing....but it appears now to be every time rain sits on the seals around the sunroof

Apart from building a new garage, does anyone know a cost effective way of repair/replacing the thing, as it has joined a list of things to do on the car.....£££££££

i had a leaking sunroof once, glass tilt and slide ( non lexus ) water would leak between the glass and the seal joined to the glass .the water would get between glass and seal then miss the channel and leak into the car.

so removed the seal from the glass and washed and cleaned, then put back together, never leaked again.....worth checking

Like Janey says, Check the drain holes with the sunroof open they have a pipe fitted after the hole to let the water run away, A thing i've used in the past to try and clear them is a piece of washing line as its flexable but hard enough to push out any debri that might be in the pipes :) Another thing you could do is smear vaseline or grease around the sunroof seal if possible as it helps it to seal and lubes the rubber. :)

Like Janey says, Check the drain holes with the sunroof open they have a pipe fitted after the hole to let the water run away, A thing i've used in the past to try and clear them is a piece of washing line as its flexable but hard enough to push out any debri that might be in the pipes :) Another thing you could do is smear vaseline or grease around the sunroof seal if possible as it helps it to seal and lubes the rubber. :)

Hi

There are four drains on the Lexus sunroof pan this is the pan that is set under the moonroof as referred to in the drivers manual;The seal between the glass is not meant to be waterproof .Water, rain .etc collect in the pan and then runs out through drains which are copper pipes .these run down the front windscreen arches and the rear windscreen panels.the copper pipes are then jointed off to a flexibleplastic pipe which on the front drains runs through the impact absorber and exits inside the front wing assembly and is inaccessible.The rear drains exit in the wells each side of the boot floor and are accessisible .The drains clog with verdigree and dust and if this occurs the water floods overflows into the roof panel

hence your dampspot.SOLUTION Non of these pipes are accessible from the top unless you start dismantling the sunroof A DEFINITE NO NO. Try sending up a thin wire similar ti a welding rod up the boot drains after taking off the plastic hose .If this does not work park the car in a different orientation in its parking spot .the theory here is that not all the drains will be blocked and at some level the water will get away. I know this method works because My mate tried it.,after I advised him of the facts. Hope it works for YOU.

Hi

There are four drains on the Lexus sunroof pan this is the pan that is set under the moonroof as referred to in the drivers manual;The seal between the glass is not meant to be waterproof .Water, rain .etc collect in the pan and then runs out through drains which are copper pipes .these run down the front windscreen arches and the rear windscreen panels.the copper pipes are then jointed off to a flexibleplastic pipe which on the front drains runs through the impact absorber and exits inside the front wing assembly and is inaccessible.The rear drains exit in the wells each side of the boot floor and are accessisible .The drains clog with verdigree and dust and if this occurs the water floods overflows into the roof panel

hence your dampspot.SOLUTION Non of these pipes are accessible from the top unless you start dismantling the sunroof A DEFINITE NO NO. Try sending up a thin wire similar ti a welding rod up the boot drains after taking off the plastic hose .If this does not work park the car in a different orientation in its parking spot .the theory here is that not all the drains will be blocked and at some level the water will get away. I know this method works because My mate tried it.,after I advised him of the facts. Hope it works for YOU.

Amber thats supurb, Thanks!!! It might just work im in luck at the mo....i fixed my p/s for the price of a couple of jubilee clips and a couple of cuts on my hands! nearly paid 165 for the pipes

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links