Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Windscreen Washers Not Working! Any Suggestions?

Hi there,

My windscreen washers on my 1991 LS400 have stopped working. Theres plenty of fluid in the reservoir, and there are no sounds when you try to activate the washers. I've checked all the fuses and they are fine.

Can anyone suggest what to check next? Where the relay and motor are located? Testing procedures for these etc?

Many thanks!

Hi

I seem to remember reading somewhere about the washer pump being under the front wing and getting exposed to the elements causing the plug to get a bit mankey and stop working, if I remember, people had success in removing it and giving it a good clean, then coat it in vasaline or something similar to stop it happening again.

I've tried the search function but as usual it's pretty useless, maybe someone else remembers the thread.

Pete

I've had a look at mine and with the noise coming from the passenger side and the washer bottle being located around the Battery area I would start there.

The pump is normally attached to the washer bottle directly so you may be able to find it either by removing the Battery ( remember to have your radio code) or by removing the under engine plastic tray and peering up from under the car.

The pump is normally a push fit into the bottle with a rubber seal.

I had a look through the manual but couldn't find any info as to it's location.

the motor is typically located on the bottom of the washer bottle, on my 430 you get to it by removing the passenger side headlamp Assembly.

then you would check for 12vdc at the plug( When the switch is activated) and them put 12vdc into the motor to see if it works.

Hi

I seem to remember reading somewhere about the washer pump being under the front wing and getting exposed to the elements causing the plug to get a bit mankey and stop working, if I remember, people had success in removing it and giving it a good clean, then coat it in vasaline or something similar to stop it happening again.

I've tried the search function but as usual it's pretty useless, maybe someone else remembers the thread.

Pete

Hi

Pete

Hi

The way to get into the washer bottle and pump according to the Lexus workshop Manual is ;

Remove the fender (Wing)liner.the front fastenings should be enough, this exposes the washer bottle

There are three nuts holding it in position undo these and the bottle plus attached pump should come out. seperate the motor from the tank.

to test the motor connect a positive lead from the Battery to terminal 1 and a negative lead from the Battery to terminal 2 if this does not operate the motor replace the motor. replace the reassembled unit in reverse of dismantle.

Hi there,

My windscreen washers on my 1991 LS400 have stopped working. Theres plenty of fluid in the reservoir, and there are no sounds when you try to activate the washers. I've checked all the fuses and they are fine.

Can anyone suggest what to check next? Where the relay and motor are located? Testing procedures for these etc?

Many thanks!

There is no relay dedicated to the washer motor ,it is integrated in the wiring of the wiper relay so if any electrical component as failed or is suspect it is likely to be the motor connections or the motor itself.see my thread on accesing the motor .

Hi

Pete

Hi

The way to get into the washer bottle and pump according to the Lexus workshop Manual is ;

Remove the fender (Wing)liner.the front fastenings should be enough, this exposes the washer bottle

There are three nuts holding it in position undo these and the bottle plus attached pump should come out. seperate the motor from the tank.

to test the motor connect a positive lead from the Battery to terminal 1 and a negative lead from the Battery to terminal 2 if this does not operate the motor replace the motor. replace the reassembled unit in reverse of dismantle.

If its the same as the GS300 the washer bottle motor is in front of the front wheel behind the splash guard. Just undo the spash guard then pull the motor out. New motors cost about £10. If you cant hear it motor over check the fuse first if thats intact get a new motor

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links