Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi

Im looking to get a Lexus as a replacement for my current car, a Toyota Supra.

Im most interested in a GS430, but Im a bit confused about the different types. Are there any guides or a full run down of the different specs/trim levels etc by year. basically what all the differences are. Also, ive seen references to GS400 and GS430, what are these 2 models? Thanks!

Welcome to the club mate

gs400, is the American version of the gs300.

and as far as i know the gs430 was introduced on the mk2 gs which is 1998 onwards, however im not sure whether the 4.3 was introduced then. and im pretty sure in thinking the gs430 came only as a gs430 and gs430sport. although if navigation was added then it would state in the title of the advert, also, there was an option for mark levinson audio and this would read levin or levinson, those two were options,

Welcome to the club mate

gs400, is the American version of the gs300.

and as far as i know the gs430 was introduced on the mk2 gs which is 1998 onwards, however im not sure whether the 4.3 was introduced then. and im pretty sure in thinking the gs430 came only as a gs430 and gs430sport. although if navigation was added then it would state in the title of the advert, also, there was an option for mark levinson audio and this would read levin or levinson, those two were options,

Thanks for info. Do you know what the differences are between the standard gs430 and the sport? Also, i know it's hard to say depending on condition, miles etc. but what should I expect to pay for a 1998/99 gs430 in good condition, private or dealer?

430 wasn't avail until oct 99...so you'll struggle to get a 98 one

Really depends on the things you pointed out but a good well looked after one I guess around 4-5 k...walk away if no history and with the older ones beware of the brake master cylinder issue at around 100k miles...2.5k for a new one!

Believe the sport is lower by something like 10mm and has a sport grill.

Really depends on the things you pointed out but a good well looked after one I guess around 4-5 k...walk away if no history and with the older ones beware of the brake master cylinder issue at around 100k miles...2.5k for a new one!

ok, thanks for the help. When looking at a gs430 to buy, how would I check for this brake master cylinder issue exactly?

Ive looked on eBay and there arent many around.... are they are rare car to buy or is a just a question of keep looking...

If you're interested in a Mk2 GS430 sport it was available from July 2003 onwards in the UK only though some dealers made 'sports' models before then but the suspension and brakes are different I believe from the official model:

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/articles/...SPORT_144.shtml

I think it's actually 20mm lowered from the standard model - the standard GS430 model came out in 2000 but watch out on 2000 /2001 models as some of them have no seat memory. The GS400 as someone mentioned is the US version of the GS430.

Hope that helps.

There's only a handful for sale on autotrader, it's a pretty rare car as I don't think it sold that well in the first place.

The GS400 as someone mentioned is the US version of the GS430.

The GS400 is nothing to do with the GS430, the mk1 GS came either as the GS300 (3.0ltr) or GS400 (4.0ltr out of the LS400, and not available in this country)

The mk2 GS (which is the one you're talking about) came as the GS300, and later the GS430 (4.3ltr out of the LS430)

ok, thanks for the help. When looking at a gs430 to buy, how would I check for this brake master cylinder issue exactly?

Ive looked on eBay and there arent many around.... are they are rare car to buy or is a just a question of keep looking...

430 very rare...ref the brake master...wouldn't buy a pre 2000 that's approaching or over 100 k unless it's been replaced already IMHO

Anees comment a good one ref the v300 vertex but don't think you get leather? And I guess rarer than the 430

Anees comment a good one ref the v300 vertex but don't think you get leather? And I guess rarer than the 430

Depends on the options , but most Aristos do have leather. Mine does, as does Daves :)

But yours is not a V8 :P

Hmmm, yeh Im really looking for a V8.... but ive now been put off the GS430 by all this brake cylinder issue!!!

Its all the pre 2000 gs models Inc 300.

Please don't be put off...just check....models after this date are not affected as have a different (bigger) cylinder so 2001 model you are safe.....also you could find one that's some miles away from 100k.

I like my V8 too ;)

1 thing I can guarantee- absolutely everyone that ever gets in your car if you buy one will come out with the same words...."wow! This is a nice car and it goes like Xxxx off a shovel". ;)

Its all the pre 2000 gs models Inc 300.

Please don't be put off...just check....models after this date are not affected as have a different (bigger) cylinder so 2001 model you are safe.....also you could find one that's some miles away from 100k.

I like my V8 too ;)

1 thing I can guarantee- absolutely everyone that ever gets in your car if you buy one will come out with the same words...."wow! This is a nice car and it goes like Xxxx off a shovel". ;)

How much would a 2001 be, as the reason I was looking at 99 models is due to my limited budget :crying: and the 99 seemed to be going between 4-5k

Depends on the options , but most Aristos do have leather. Mine does, as does Daves :)

But yours is not a V8 :P

I agee, you can't beat the burble of a V8 (even an Audi V8 :P)

1st ones had the older master cylinder ....

Would have thought a 2001 wouldn't be much more money- infact due to our excellent (LOL) government and potential retrospective taxes you may find it's a little cheaper but you stand the possible risk of being hit for the over inflated rfl if it ever happens.

Finding one though may be the main problem

Hi

Im looking to get a Lexus as a replacement for my current car, a Toyota Supra.

Im most interested in a GS430, but Im a bit confused about the different types. Are there any guides or a full run down of the different specs/trim levels etc by year. basically what all the differences are. Also, ive seen references to GS400 and GS430, what are these 2 models? Thanks!

Hi,can i just say,good choice m8,i've had a m3,great car,had a supra,great car,and now i have a mrk4 GS430,the best thing i've ever owned.Before i got the 430,i tested the GS450H,no match for the 430,and bought it.people that say or think the GS430 IS SLOW,,,,,,,,,think again,0 to 60 5,1sec and restricted to 155,and has all the toys and i say ALL THE TOYS.I was planning to change my GS430 this year,but have come up with a big problem,,,,,,,what to get next :shutit: .Ive been testing,and testing,,and have not found a car ,that matches or even come close to what i have.Advice from a HAPPY,VERY HAPPY GS 430 owner :lol: .Mrk 3 or 4 GREAT CAR,in my book B)

Hi,can i just say,good choice m8,i've had a m3,great car,had a supra,great car,and now i have a mrk4 GS430,the best thing i've ever owned.Before i got the 430,i tested the GS450H,no match for the 430,and bought it.people that say or think the GS430 IS SLOW,,,,,,,,,think again,0 to 60 5,1sec and restricted to 155,and has all the toys and i say ALL THE TOYS.I was planning to change my GS430 this year,but have come up with a big problem,,,,,,,what to get next :shutit: .Ive been testing,and testing,,and have not found a car ,that matches or even come close to what i have.Advice from a HAPPY,VERY HAPPY GS 430 owner :lol: .Mrk 3 or 4 GREAT CAR,in my book B)

Isn't 0-60 in 5.1s a bit quick for a 430? Official figures are 5.9 for the later (and last) 430 models, and 6.1 for the earlier MK II models. They hybrids are actually slightly faster, official figures are 5.7s 0-60. All models are limited to 155 as you say, though. Even the latest 4.6 models are only 5.6s 0-60.

Still, can count on the fingers of one hand the number of times I've wished it had more power... :)

Isn't 0-60 in 5.1s a bit quick for a 430? Official figures are 5.9 for the later (and last) 430 models, and 6.1 for the earlier MK II models. They hybrids are actually slightly faster, official figures are 5.7s 0-60. All models are limited to 155 as you say, though. Even the latest 4.6 models are only 5.6s 0-60.

Still, can count on the fingers of one hand the number of times I've wished it had more power... :)

Hi,Just checked,is 5.9,but is a much better drive than the hybrid,I'm a big fan of the 430,and the power,,well,what or where can u use it,cars of todays are the dogs nuts,I think the 430 is about wright,No-ways will i ever go for a hybrid. B)

I'm a big fan of the 430 too - that's why I bought one! Great car...

I actually did use the power today as well, road from Dorking to Horsham is a very pleasant drive, and turns into a series of 2 miles stretches of dual-carriageway with some roundabouts breaking it up. Traction control had a workout coming off a couple of the roundabouts, wriggle from the back, it backs off the power a touch, then woomf!! up the road :D :D :D

I'm a big fan of the 430 too - that's why I bought one! Great car...

I actually did use the power today as well, road from Dorking to Horsham is a very pleasant drive, and turns into a series of 2 miles stretches of dual-carriageway with some roundabouts breaking it up. Traction control had a workout coming off a couple of the roundabouts, wriggle from the back, it backs off the power a touch, then woomf!! up the road :D :D :D

:lol: Nice ,I'll be using mine tomorrow at 3am around the m25,when i take my daughters to the airport :lol: would like to see yours at one of the meets,coz i'm the only 430 at these meets,got to be more 430 owners. :lol: maybe at ace cafe on 20 Dec,anyway enjoy :lol: cheers

Fantastic motors Robin. The brake master cylinder won't affect you if you buy one made after Oct 2000, when they were facelifted. The rear light cluster and front grille were changed and the SE was introduced. The power is evident throughout the range and the autobox gives really smooth changes.

Went visiting in Lyme Regis this weekend and cruised down and back at 3000 rpm most of the time on the M/way, somewhat slower on the road from Taunton to Lyme and whilst out over the weekend around the lanes but with a fair few bursts when road/traffic conditions permitted, fuel consumption overall for the 420 miles was just over 25, so reasonable economy too.

GO FOR IT! If you have not driven one yet . . . try it - you will not be disappointed. I picked up a 2001 GS430 sport navigator last January and I am still in awe at the power and smoothness of this car. I had a LS400 before this and the difference is significant. I'm hooked on V8 power and nothing compares to Lexus.

As others have said, the GS430 first appeared in late 2000. The difference between the sport and the se is that the sport has a different front grille and "touring car" style front bumper, a rear spoiler with brake light, cooler looking 18" alloys, "sport" logo etched on rear windows and front spoiler and firmer, lower suspension. Internally it has darker wood trim. If you can find a navigator model it's worth paying a few quid extra. This gives you touch-screen navigation, climate control, audio and other info. It really improves the front console and adds to the wow factor when others get into the car. Hope you find a good one!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links