Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Spark Plug Gap

Gaztech

Hi Everyone,

Just going to change the spark plugs on my IS200 as car is hard to start in the mornings. Looks easy enough but I can't find information on what the plug gap is anywhere! I have an IS300 manual and this states 1.2mm (0.043"). anyone know if this is also correct for the IS200?

Why do Lexus/Toyota make it so damn impossible to find information anywhere? !! This is a really simple job - you would have thought it would be easy to find this. Some users here seem to think that the gap is set "out of the box" but that's not my experience with other cars and plugs - you have to set it to the recommended gap.

Anyone know?

Would be nice to do it this weekend if I get the info! :D

Thanks in advance.

Quotes from the Denso iridium site:

Q. Why is the U-Groove special?

A. The patented U-Groove allows the flame kernel to fill the gap formed by the U. This ball of fire develops a larger and hotter flash front a complete combustion. The flat ground electrode design of ordinary spark plugs crush the spark, inhibiting its growth; this effect is known as a “quenching effect.” The simple, but efficient, U-Groove feature results in better fuel efficiency, improved throttle response, and greater firing energy.

So you can't really measure the gap anyway because of the U-Groove

Q. Do I need to set the gap?

A. Generally, no. The DENSO Iridium Power plug comes pre-set with a protective sleeve over the firing end, to protect the gap from accidental alteration. DENSO Iridium Power’s ultra-efficient firing power compensates for normally recommended gap settings that are smaller than the pre-set value. In the cases of vehicle modifications (nitrous, turbo-chargers, super-chargers, high power ignition systems, etc.), some adjustments may be desired. Or, if you prefer to remain consistent with factory specifications, you may adjust. However, please be careful not to place any stress on the fine center electrode during adjustment. You could accidentally break off the very hard, and therefore brittle, tip.

And they don't recommend adjusting the gap anyway.

Anyway up to you :D

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links