Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Traction Control?

....or take out 10PSI from the tyres - makes a huge difference - especially when braking - Tyre width doesn't help one iota either - the snow just gets compacted into the grooves and the effectively become slicks...

Was under the impression that the narrower the width of the tyre the better for snow as you've got more weight over that one particular area, so therefore a car with say a 6 inch wide tread would perform much better than the same tyre with a 9 inch width tread? Hence why cars with wide rear tyres are useless in the snow?

Definitely agree with letting the pressure down though in the snow :)

That is what I meant - wider tyres make it worse. Ever seen a Rally car in snow? They have them studded narrow space savers on!!!! :lol: For an auto, I would say leave it in the lowest gear and be vry gentle with that right foot...it sometimes (not everytime) helps to keep the handbrake on slightly when you take off on RWD - especially in a manual with a too "sharp" or "worn" clutch....then remember to release it once moving!!

....or take out 10PSI from the tyres - makes a huge difference - especially when braking - Tyre width doesn't help one iota either - the snow just gets compacted into the grooves and the effectively become slicks...

Was under the impression that the narrower the width of the tyre the better for snow as you've got more weight over that one particular area, so therefore a car with say a 6 inch wide tread would perform much better than the same tyre with a 9 inch width tread? Hence why cars with wide rear tyres are useless in the snow?

Definitely agree with letting the pressure down though in the snow :)

That is what I meant - wider tyres make it worse. Ever seen a Rally car in snow? They have them studded narrow space savers on!!!! :lol: For an auto, I would say leave it in the lowest gear and be vry gentle with that right foot...it sometimes (not everytime) helps to keep the handbrake on slightly when you take off on RWD - especially in a manual with a too "sharp" or "worn" clutch....then remember to release it once moving!!

Too true...best car I have EVER driven in the snow (real snow) was a 2CV with 125 Vredenstein snow tyres fitted.....just felt like a normal day driving to work.....most fun was steadily climbing a quite steep hill virtually ticking over in first gear just crawling past several posh brand new cars with all the traction control ECU's......all just sitting there with highly polished ice under the wheels where they had been spinning! Never felt so good to be so cold in a car....well the HVAC in 2CV's was useless :lol:

No mention of the SNOW button. I find this helps on my RX350, not only in starting off but also in controlling the throttle!

Hi

I have a Mk3 GS300, a different animal to the RX but I'd thought I'd comment.

I had to be somewhere on Monday, there was heavy snow in the drive but I thought 'hey ho, rear wheel drive and a snow button, what's the problem'.

I reversed out of my drive, slight incline but all ok. I turned the steering wheel to turn left, I went forward, I turned the wheel right, I went forward again, I couldn't go anywhere but straight forward or straight back. I thought sod this and wheel spun my way up the drive, parked up and cancelled my meeting.

I had no traction to the front wheels and I presumed electronics would cure the problem, they didn't. I don't blame the car at all, I love it. I blame my tyres, winter tyres would help but what is the point. My driving skills could be inproved with respect to driving on snow but again what's the point. For the amount of snow we have in England I shall simply stay indoors and cope without a car for a few days.

When I realised I couldn't drive in a controlled manner I put the car to bed. All the people driving their cars, skidding, sliding and being a danger to themselves and others must have known as soon as they set off that they could be in trouble. Why not park up and have a cuppa, where do people have to be that so important.

No mention of the SNOW button. I find this helps on my RX350, not only in starting off but also in controlling the throttle!

where do people have to be that so important.

Er..........home? :lol:

No way I was staying at work for the night!

Approach junctions very slowly,and in automatics it helps to knock the car into neutral as you approach the stop as this stops the engine's propensity to keep driving the wheels.

Whilst I would agree with most of your comments, putting the car into neutral is certainly inadvisable. If you override the autobox and change down manually you are allowing the engine, via the driving wheels, to assist in slowing the vehicle down. It is never adviseable to put any car into neutral and allow the it to coast. If the pressure you exert on the brake pedal is very light as you approach the stop then you will stop safely.

Yes,I see what you mean.I would normally not be advocating knocking the lever into neutral under normal circumstances.i was referring to doing this only under exceptional circumstances where the level of snow/or ice means that you are struggling to stop at a junction-it is something that I know some drivers of powerful RWD cars do in these condition to try to retain some level of control when coming to a stop(I suspect rather ineffectively).So it may not be very applicable to AWD systems anyway-I happily stand corrected as I am no expert.

Having said that,I really do get the impression that keeping control of my AWD RX400h in this week of snow we've just had has been mainly about driving with absolute care with regards to the conditions.Driving at an appropriate speed,with smooth and gentle inputs to throttle and brakes.Even with summer tyres I've coped really well.

As others have said,buying winter tyres can apparently make a great improvement in grip.I know some people that buy a set of winter tyres and put them on from Nov-Dec through the worst of the winter before changing back to summer tyres for the rest of the year.Cheaper than repairing some body work,as has been said,I suppose.Worth considering.

I have an RX400h and there is no over ride for the traction control:

Why is this?

Also, what are these cars like in the snow? Does the 4wd kick in and help? I know today would be a good idea to find out, but I only drive in these conditions when absolutely necessary.....

Have just returned from a trip from Milton Keynes to Aberdeen to visit our daughter at University.

Set out on Monday with snow falling heavily. First road up our estate was a doddle. (Company Vecta really strugled earlier same morning.) Journey to Aberdeen took only 9.5 hours including an hour stop for lunch.

On the Thursday, although it was chucking it down with snow in Aberdeen, we decided to go for a day's skiing at Glenshee. Took B roads out of Aberdeen to avoid traffic. No problem with snow covered roads. Did however see a sad looking RX300 that had had a collision with a BMW!!!

Got to Glenshee with no problems and was directed by the car park attendant to parking place in snow covered car park only to find front wheels had dropped into the drainage gully at the edge of the car park. Reversed out no problems. Think a front wheel drive car would have got stuck in that position.

Left Aberdeen on Friday morning in yet another blizzard but left snow behind us. Got bak to Milton Keynes and yet more snow 9.5 hours later.

All the journeys left us feeling relaxed and stress free. Had every confidence in the car.

However, I also think a lot depends on how you drive in slippery conditions. When the roads are like they have been any vehicle is a potential leathal weapon in the wrong hands!

Overall, very satisfied with the handling in the conditions.

JBP

PS Forgot to mention 30.6 MPG over 1350 miles!

Yes,I see what you mean.I would normally not be advocating knocking the lever into neutral under normal circumstances.i was referring to doing this only under exceptional circumstances where the level of snow/or ice means that you are struggling to stop at a junction-it is something that I know some drivers of powerful RWD cars do in these condition to try to retain some level of control when coming to a stop(I suspect rather ineffectively).So it may not be very applicable to AWD systems anyway-I happily stand corrected as I am no expert.

I'm no expert neither, and I cut my teeth on cars with manual transmission and no ABS. To me, an emergency braking meant always shifting to a lower gear, too, in order to add some slowing down force from the engine and help avoiding wheel lock.

A couple of years ago I attended to a safe driving workshop (highly recommended to anyone!). There, I was taught that with modern cars, the best way of stopping is to press the clutch pedal AND brake really, really, really HARD. The ABS will do the rest. This applies on dry surfaces, wet or snow/ice (of course, assuming you're driving a car with abs).

As for my RX, the instructor simply told me to use the brake, and forget about anything else, though most of the times when braking hard my right hand runs to the stick... :blush:

Anyway, the idea is that abs system will always brake better than the average driver, just remember to put all of your strength on the pedal, and don't raise the foot when you start feeling the pedal shaking (that's just the abs working).

Of course, if your driving skills are above the average, or you're just accustomed to driving on snow (*), you might have a different opinion.

(*) ever been to Scandinavia? Any granny with a wreck drives like Seb Loeb! :lol: :lol: :lol:

As I said before and others too.........TYRES......

By the way, regarding the transmission of the (non-hybrid) RX, I've read some posts where the car is stated to have a part time 4WD, normally front WD and with the central diff kicking in only when needed.

Others claim that the drive is always 50% front, 50% rear.

I must say that the car handles like a full time 4WD, but I would like to get a definitive answer to that. Thanks :winky:

P.S.: I know that a set of winter tyres is expensive, particularly if you have 17" or 18" wheels, but be sure that the lightest crash into a wall or another car will cost way more, and that's not considering possible personal injuries!

The RX 300/350 is permanent 4WD. It's the 400H that is FWD most of the time.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links