Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Calling All The I.t. Crowd

aaronabbott

Have they both got ethernet ports mate?

If so you could just connect them via an ethernet cable - the ports should be MDI-X nowadays so you shouldn't need a crossover cable but it makes life easier if you've got one!

Alternatively you could drag all the files across over a wireless connection but it may take a while!

Easiest option is use an external USB hard disk?

Have they both got ethernet ports mate?

If so you could just connect them via an ethernet cable - the ports should be MDI-X nowadays so you shouldn't need a crossover cable but it makes life easier if you've got one!

yeah got a few of them cables around to,in maplins a crossover cable is only about £5 though

would i have to use any programme?

Hi Aaron,

Why not save your new PC, back up all your data to an external hard drive ( 250/500 GB cheap as chips) and when you have your apps on your new PC they should be easily found. Clean your old PC down, leave the applications on there, use some free ware products to tune the PC and give it to a member of the family. You will be surprised how fast it will run once is cleaned down.

Done it many times and surprised their owners enormously !!

Hope an alternative helps

Mike S

I dont have a problem with any of mine, they are all running with external HDs, all the new PCs will have USB2's that are almost as fast having an internal HD. I would be surprised if could tell the difference.

We run all our Pc's like this which as far as I can tell keep the PC running as fast as it can and makes things like backing up /pictures/music/data a doddle.

Dont throw your old PC away, we can make it fly again.

Mike S

Sorry mate I realise that about the hard disks, it's the USB PC to PC cables that I've never tried before!

Laptops run loads quicker with a fullsize drive due to bigger cache sizes and better spindle speeds, much better for running VMs on and stuff like that :)

depending on what os you are running and how much Ram you have available and how clean your hdd is (as in defragged) a free space of around a gig in your windows installation drive will prob give you optomum processor performance. as far as file transfers are concerned, i'd copy them to an external source from the old lappy and put the in the new one. that way you also get a backup!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links