Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus Rx450h Economy

I have been away from buying lexus cars for a couple of years now; however I am interested in the new RX450h "Provided it does what it says on the tin" in other words lives up to economy figures.

In the past the economy on all lexus I have bought new have been Poor.

Anyone? :blush:

If you do a lot of motorway miles, I don't think a hybrid ever makes sense next to a diesel economy wise because you're just running a petrol V6.

Might be worth taking a 400h out on an extended test drive (or possibly that 48hr test drive if they're still doing it) and see how you get on. As Colin says the 450h will most likely be better than the 400h so that would give you a good indication.

Many thanks for the replies.

I have nursed the RX400h and got 27MPG, I had it for the day.

I have the X6 35D now and that returns 30/32 MPG mixed open roads ( I don't live in town as such).

I tend to travel on mixed A/B roads and duel carrageways, so I hope this 450h is better.

PS) I am lite footed on the gas.

I'm sorry to say it mate, but based on that type of driving the diesel is always going to be better in terms of fuel economy.

How is the X6? In my opinion it truly is one of the ugliest things I've ever seen on the road but on that same note I love how nuts it looks when you see it on the road - it really is like nothing else at all!

I'm sorry to say it mate, but based on that type of driving the diesel is always going to be better in terms of fuel economy.

How is the X6? In my opinion it truly is one of the ugliest things I've ever seen on the road but on that same note I love how nuts it looks when you see it on the road - it really is like nothing else at all!

I must say after PXing the M6 for it, the car is absolutly great, the road holding is beyond belief, I came back from the middle east a week or two ago, landing in snow at gatwick, I drove back through it some 4/6" deep, to Norfolk even on the motorways ( nothing else on them) and it was just great no slipping or sliding. It corners better than the M6 and my B7 RS4, so that says it all for me.

Diesel and petrol are different fuels with a different calorific value per litre. There is no point comparing the m.p.g. as diesel will always be better - there is simply more chemical energy in a gallon of diesel than a gallon of petrol. Similarly there is more energy in a unit volume of coal than in a unit volume of diesel. If, by fuel economy, you mean m.p.g. then you will always favour fuels with higher calorific value per unit volume. It never ceases to amaze me that this simple but crucial piece of chemistry is not understood by motoring commentators....

That is a valid point mate, but not necessarily true all the time. If you do a lot of short town journeys, a petrol engine will give you better fuel economy, so all depends on your usage. Obviously now you need to factor in the large difference in cost between petrol and diesel.

Eh? The X6 corners better than an M6? :o

Do like the M6 (and the M5) think about getting one at some point, do they really cost a fortune in maintenance?

Well a can of worms here.

Maintenance as such depends on FSH mileage and how someone has driven your chosen M6/M5.

Runnings costs are the killer. 15 MPG average open road work, I have seen 7 MPG easily :crybaby:

tank capacity is 200/250 Miles and you are for ever filling it up.

90% of the time you never get to use the performance so it's a badge your driving. :whistling:

DSG boxs are way better to use IMO and only come on latest models, the old boxs Peed me off.

Service history is a MUST on both and RV plumets regardless of age, so loose loose IMO, give them a miss. :winky:

True, but what a badge you'll be driving! :D

I know the fuel economy, depreciation, etc are bad but the only thing I didn't want to take on is that people have told me that M cars have far more expensive routine maintenance - they have to be serviced more regularly and the base costs of these are very high.

Essentially I wouldn't want to pay thousands of pounds a year in regular maintenance, as well as parts on top (which with a BMW must be inevitable)

May just have to get an AMG instead - love those engines and definitely the better everyday drivers.........

True, but what a badge you'll be driving! :D

I know the fuel economy, depreciation, etc are bad but the only thing I didn't want to take on is that people have told me that M cars have far more expensive routine maintenance - they have to be serviced more regularly and the base costs of these are very high.

Essentially I wouldn't want to pay thousands of pounds a year in regular maintenance, as well as parts on top (which with a BMW must be inevitable)

May just have to get an AMG instead - love those engines and definitely the better everyday drivers.........

M cars are not expensive IF they have been serviced right, consumables cost but the rest should be ok, Discs and Pads will cost but if the car is bought through BMW all this will be good after they have given it the once over befor you buy it.

M cars are not expensive IF they have been serviced right, consumables cost but the rest should be ok, Discs and Pads will cost but if the car is bought through BMW all this will be good after they have given it the once over befor you buy it.

Hmmm, that doesn't sound too bad then :)

Back to the original topic, I read on top gear that the new RX is rumoured to be around 160g/km, which is very low assuming the engine is the same one as in the GS450h. Means there must be a significant upgrade to the electric side of things, so perhaps it now be able to give you what you're looking for.

Hmmm, that doesn't sound too bad then :)

Back to the original topic, I read on top gear that the new RX is rumoured to be around 160g/km, which is very low assuming the engine is the same one as in the GS450h. Means there must be a significant upgrade to the electric side of things, so perhaps it now be able to give you what you're looking for.

I was told that the new RX450h can drive up to 40MPH on electric power only, for a short distance, one of the dealership sales guys is going to spain to drive it in april.

The engine isn't the same as in the GS450h. The new engine has an Atkinson cycle design.

The power inventor is also a new design which may explain why it has a higher speed ability on electric power only. I believe it still only uses Ni-MH batteries, Lithium Ion batteries are believed too dangerous by Toyota (certainly if they use Sony ones which seem to set fire to many a notebook computer!)

The engine isn't the same as in the GS450h. The new engine has an Atkinson cycle design.

The power inventor is also a new design which may explain why it has a higher speed ability on electric power only. I believe it still only uses Ni-MH batteries, Lithium Ion batteries are believed too dangerous by Toyota (certainly if they use Sony ones which seem to set fire to many a notebook computer!)

OK Colin, thanks for the info, just what is the "Atkinson cycle design?"

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links