Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Adeels, altezza question

adeel

Nice one bloofire; interestingly enough I have Autotrader / Top Marques under a very close watch...

However, it does seem evident that more people go for the IS200 UK as opposed to the Altezza... How come??? :unsure:

Owners who have an IS200; would they like to own an RS200 if they were more popular to get hold of... :question:

Are the Altezza's a highly sought after cars... or not really so...

Please advise... :)

I reckon it's simply that people are still suspicious of 'grey imports' in this country. I think punters want 3 year warranties and UK standardisation on their cars over more horsepower.

As to whether Altezza's are very sought after, I don't think so. I for one didn't know they even existed until someone mentioned them on this forum. (thanks, whoever that was!)

So if you're worried about the resale value, I think the hardest thing would be to find a buyer. You have to bear in mind that not many of these cars come with any service history so you have to take a bit of a chance.

Added to this are the extra insurance cost, as Kavey said, and I've now found out, you can expect to pay 50% more to insure an Altezza over an IS200.

I'm willing to take the risk tho!! :ohmy:

Hope this helps.

Hmmm... so that gets me thinking... thanks for that info... which leads me on to the next question...

What is a respected mileage on a 1999 model IS200... I have seen anything between 30,000 to 70,000...

I would have thought around 40,000 would be acceptable... what are your thoughts everyone... :blink:

Is high mileage to be steered away from... or are they tough engines that can take a bit... :unsure:

What is a respected mileage on a 1999 model IS200... I have seen anything between 30,000 to 70,000...

nothing to worry about.

The IS comes with a service book with room for 180,000 mile service.

70k in 3 years is nothing to worry about, as long as you can see the servicing intervals have been respected

Hmmm... so that gets me thinking... thanks for that info... which leads me on to the next question...

I would have thought around 40,000 would be acceptable... what are your thoughts everyone...  :blink:

Is high mileage to be steered away from... or are they tough engines that can take a bit...  :unsure:

I did 67K miles in less than 3 years without any problems, I've seen people report issues here at 40K miles, ball joints etc, which I never had.

It probably depends how many miles you are going to do, if its not many getting a 70K mile car would be good value.

The Sat Nav sounds great... and not a penny to pay...

I understand that with a regular service history, a slightly higher mileage is safe...

So, what are the the most common known faults to occur with the IS200 / Rs200 range... inc. wear and tear

Thanks...

common faults..........

ehm, pitted wheels..change em for bigger ones

depending on model year, the headunit is known to jam, warrenty has been extended to 4 years

paint chips.........just have to keep it in good shape

so as you can see, nothing major, if you get a car still within its 3 year warrenty...excellent, if not make sure it has a dealer warrenty

So... if I find a decent mileage and good condition IS200 manual / RS200 MT6 in a private sale; what kind of things should I be looking for apart from the normal things that one looks at when buying... to be on the safe side...

To be honest I have only ever had 3 cars in my driving life...

A 1.3 VW Golf, then the 300BHP MR2 Mk2 and now the WRX... the last two were sourced for me and checked over from a garage before they came to me...

Any hints or tips... :blush:

Is it a good idea to know what these cars drive like and drive a selection of them privatley to notice the differences or is that not a good idea...

What does the forum think... :blink:

Okay... so forget the less important previous question... :blush:

More importantly if the Altezza comes with Sat Nav... does it use a dvd or cd based source and does the software need modifying... i.e. will the menu etc still be in Japanese. :unsure:

If this is the case; how does one overcome this issue

Please advise

It was CD when I was getting my Altezza, and I don't think you can just use a UK CD/DVD and make it work.

I'd try to get one without, unless you want to have a go at converting or something. www.is300.net have some info...

• 2 weeks later...

I had a few questions related to fuel consumption and capacityfor the IS200 and RS200.

1) What is the fuel consumtion for both models?

2) What is the fuel capacity (full tank) for the IS200 and RS200

3) What is the expected mileage one can travel on a full tank?

4) Do they both require Optimax or just unleaded?

Thanks in advance :P

That all depends - Kavey & I'll give you completely different replies...

1) I get between 32 and 35mpg, an IS is more like 28

2)RS gets 60 litres, IS 70

3)I've done as little as 350 or as much as 440 miles - will probably get about 420 out of this one

4) You're best running it on Optimax - makes the downshifts much more pleasant, but seeing as my nearest shell is 20 miles away I run mine on 95 more than I'd like without any problems - the car has 2 knock sensors anyway.

It totally depends on driving style and type of travel of course.

I tend to get around 30mpg, mainly town driving, but not too much traffic as I set off early. I average about 300miles from a tank.

The RS is just slightly more economical than the IS, but definately appreciates Optimax as the stock ECU is tuned for 100 Octane fuel from Japan. Running normal unleaded is fine as they can adjust to either.

I went to Bath on Friday from London on the M4 at a solid 80mph average and got around 440 from the tank (60L) so they can be quite economical, but then again I wasn't pushing it hard. As you get above 90 the economy drops quite a bit.

Asam

• 8 months later...

Sorry I have been away for a while... Oh my gosh... It's almost been a whole year... Nothing much has changed, but I am getting closer to the Lexus dream... Saving up or financially committed and challenged...

I am still driving my WRX, but I will have to give it up soon for an IS200 or RS200 Tezza...

I hope everyone has been well and is amongst good spirits (not that kind)...

Quick question, pardon my ignorance though...

If I get an Altezza, how different are the parts required for servicing... i.e. plugs, filters etc... what else is changed in a service apart from oil etc... and they not the same as the IS200?

My garage is not a branded one where I give my WRX to and they do a fine job...

What disadvantages would I face with an import as opposed to UK IS200?

Thanks in advance

• 2 weeks later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links