Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Diference In Space - Driver To Passenger

Have any owners of the new IS noticed that the space around the driver is considerably smaller than that availbale to the passenger?

My wife chauffered me and two mates down to the local beer festival on Saturday night and it was the first time I had sat in the front passenger seat. There seems considerably more space around you and when I measured it, it really is much bigger. I then wondered why this might be...is it that for LH drive cars, the driver has more room?, when the sterring wheel and ancilliary components are fitted on this side?

Fortunately one of my colleagues at work actually has a LH drive IS250 (He's from Germany) so I will see how the passenger dimensions fare in comparision.

Or does anyone know why?

I am 5'9" so not my bother really, but if any taller drivers buy an IS, they may find it a bit cramped in the driver side, which then affects the room available for those in the back once the driver seat is moved back even more!

Anyone else noticed this?

I wouldn't worry too much about the space, I'm 6'4" and don't have any problems and reckon that really tall people at maybe 6'6" or 6'7" would be fine too. The only thing I have noticed is that the grab handle is right next to my head as the car seems to get much narrower towards the roof. I used to hit my head on it a bit before I got used to it and my previous IS (a 220d) had some nasty black gunk covering the grab handle where I reckon the previous owner used too much hair gel :-) I used to own a mk3 MX-5 and was amazed that I could fit in that too with the correct seat adjustments, they are great cars BTW and I miss it whenever the sun's out.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links