Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Ls400 M Reg.new Owner

Nottingham Lad

Hi everyone.

For years I have longed to have a Lexus. Now I am retired this is the time. If I don’t do it now I never will. So I started the search which after two months ended a few days ago in the purchase of a late 1995 (2nd Generation?) Lexus LS400.

Excellent condition, good history and 124,000 miles on the clock. Been out only a couple of times but thoroughly enjoyed it. Less quiet than I imagined but so smooth and effortless.

I only have one key for it and for safety would like a spare. Presumably the car would have remote locking with the appropriate key? A local key cutter says they are available only from the Main Dealer and cost about £80 to £100 just for a basic key. That’s a bit of a knock back!.

More importantly.

The audio system doesn’t work. I was aware of that before purchase so I have no complaints about it but I would like to get it going. The head unit switches on and the digits all appear and stations seem to tune in alright except there is total silence. Cassettes fast forward, play and rewind but no sound.

Can’t try the CD unit mounted in the front glove box as I don’t have the necessary 6 CD caddy. Will buy one if I get it all working.

I deduce it is possibly a fuse somewhere or possibly the amp but where is the amp? Can’t see it under the passenger seat nor in the boot. I visited the local ICE dealer this afternoon and after several telephone calls he could not locate a fascia plate suitable for use with the LS400 and an aftermarket system.

I looked on the website suggested on this forum for spare part prices and the radio is £2,308 with the CD Player £1,221. Wow, it must be a fantastic radio?

For me, it looks like being an aftermarket unit. A wiring diagram I found on this forum shows the amplifier is only used for the sub-woofer and that would seem to make things easier and point to the problem being the radio unit itself. The dealer started the car using a Battery boosting device so could it be possible that the radio has simply lost its code. If so that’s a bit difficult because I don’t have the code for it. No manual was with the vehicle and that’s a nuisance as I feel there is so much to discover and understand. Posibly the Main Dealer would sell me one.

Just got to get the audio working then a few other little bits to sort and I will have a lovely vehicle for a lot less than two and a half grand.

Nevertheless, so far, a very happy bunny.

Shaduf

• 2 weeks later...
Guest inicol63

Hello a welcome to the club.

I only have one key for it and for safety would like a spare. Presumably the car would have remote locking with the appropriate key? A local key cutter says they are available only from the Main Dealer and cost about £80 to £100 just for a basic key. That’s a bit of a knock back!.

You can buy a key from eBay (£12) and get a quality key cutter to cut the key for around £20 this will not include the remote you could purchase this off a old breakers car and re programe it.

The ice system are great they are Mark Leverson systems and were voted the best car stereo when they first arrived.

I think other members have posted question about the wiring of the amps check through some threads and i sure the info will pop up.

I believe that the amp needs to be connected to get sound from your ice or as you say it could be the fuse that blown.

The engine should be very quiet on tick over my 400 you never knew if the engine was running.

Good luck and enjoy your car.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links