Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi. There is a lot of chat here about fuel consumption. So, just to see how my car would do on a long run on LPG to europe I gassed up in Dover and zeroed the trip meter.

I ran my gas tank dry until the alarm sounded and the car switched over to petrol. Then I noted my milage. I drove mostly at 80+mph through the night with the AC on some of the time.

When I filled up my 80lt tank. I got into the tank from empty 56lt of gas and I had driven exactly 230 miles .

Now who's the brainiak that'll work out the MPG on that run?

Jeff

Hi. ther is a lot of chat here about fuel consumption. So, just to see how my car would do on a long run on LPG to europe I gassed up in Dover ans zeroed the trip meter.

I ran my gas tank dry until the alarm sounded and the car switched over to petrol. Then I noted my milage. I drove mostly at 80+mph through the night with the AC on some of the time.

When I filled up my 80lt tank. I got into the tank from empty 56 lt of gas and I had driven 230 miles exactly.

Now who's the brainiak that'll work out the MPG on that run?

Jeff

depends on how much you paid for the gas against the petrol price at UK prices round here 48p gas 98p petrol its apx 40 mpg £ for £

I guess it's how you drive when i used ym lexus for work last week it did 19.89mpg....and as it says above for cost of LPG to petrol he got effectively 37mpg so thats 5 miles extra a gallon or about 16% further which is not to be sniffed at if you do lots of miles.

Hi

what I am doing now my car is on lpg, is driving it, not feather footing it as I did on petrol, If I was to drive for ultimate economy I could achieve apx 40mpg around town & close to 60 mpg on a run £ for £. Where it pays big dividends for me is on my trips to Germany as I fill in Belgium at 28p a litre,less than a third of the petrol cost.

To put things in prespective Im not afraid to use the power & it costs me less to run than a 1.6 corolla auto in the Uk , On my trips to Germany its more economical than a Yaris . Also the car is worth more if I was to sell it, . Better for the enviroment , Better engine life, no worries about emisions at mot time, My oil is as clean as it went in 5000 miles ago, For me LPG is a no brainer

56 LITRES = 12.31 GALLONS

230 / 12.31 = 18.68 miles per gallon

assuming LPG is roughly half the price of petrol you get roughly 37 MPG

....and at 54p at BP stations (always dearest) here in Kent that makes a full tank 30 quid. I'd say the numbers stack up quite well and think a 37mpg is really good for such a large car. No complaints at all really.

Jeff

Mmmm ?

Well my series 4 Ls400 is petrol and im getting a constant 32 on a run and 24 urban.

Would seem that LPG isnt worth the bother on my model going by the figures M.IQBAL has supplied ?

Hi. No one that knows what he's talking about ever said LPG improves MPG !! Thats just not true.

You would need to judge for yourself the personal value of a LPG conversion. This would depend on how much you drive and how long you'll keep the car.

So, how long is a piece of string..................................................?

I will also add that LPG's are sought after and will sell before a "normal" car of comparative make and model. They also hold their value better too. Most conversions are put on cars within the first few years of a cars life.

All I've read about LPG (loads n loads) say that it takes about 3 years to get your money back on a conversion. I might agree that putting a LPG on an older car might not be the best idea because of the age of the car and its market value.

You you can fit it yourself if you are brave enough and save on the labour costs if you want to. A sequential system front to back for an 8 cylinder is about £750+/- as far as I know.

Volvo, Ford and Vauxhall that I know can all be delivered as new with factory fitted LPG.

Jeff

All I've read about LPG (loads n loads) say that it takes about 3 years to get your money back on a conversion. I might agree that putting a LPG on an older car might not be the best idea because of the age of the car and its market value.

Or if your like me and do 45k a year roughly it'll be paid off in 9 months :)

Although the actual reality is it'll be paid off the first time i fill it as i'll be selling my small diesel car for more then the conversion cost.

Mmmm ?

Well my series 4 Ls400 is petrol and im getting a constant 32 on a run and 24 urban.

Would seem that LPG isnt worth the bother on my model going by the figures M.IQBAL has supplied ?

Hi. No one that knows what he's talking about ever said LPG improves MPG !! Thats just not true.

You would need to judge for yourself the personal value of a LPG conversion. This would depend on how much you drive and how long you'll keep the car.

So, how long is a piece of string..................................................?

I will also add that LPG's are sought after and will sell before a "normal" car of comparative make and model. They also hold their value better too. Most conversions are put on cars within the first few years of a cars life.

You you can fit it yourself if you are brave enough and save on the labour costs if you want to. A sequential system front to back for an 8 cylinder is about £750+/- as far as I know.

Volvo, Ford and Vauxhall that I know can all be delivered as new with factory fitted LPG.

Jeff

Payback depends on your milage but also depends on what consumption your car does. A car that averages 20mpg will payback twice as quick as a car that averages 40mpg assuming the same milage.

I paid for my conversion on my LS430 and cost £1800 and do about 12,000 miles a year. So far in the past 2.5 months I have averaged 33 mpg equivalent, factoring in the petrol I use as well. I do very short journeys during the week barely enough to get onto LPG. My previous car a 2.2ltr Diesel Primera used to average 27mpg for the same kind of driving. On a run I estimate I will get about 50mpg equivalent, wheras my Primera used to do about 42mpg when driven like 'miss daisy'.

I haven't done a full 'run' yet on gas so its hard to judge exactly what MPG I can get. I'm going to France in August so I will have a record of 870 miles each way on LPG to give me a better idea of the true MPG but even then I will be fully loaded, 4 up and with a roof box and probably air con so even that won't be a true reflection.

For me its a no brainer, even without factoring in the increased saleability.

does anyone know where you can get a point of interests file with all the LPG sites on?

You can get a book on eBay with most lpg sites on, not up to date as more station are getting pumps fitted especially bp & shell.

does anyone know where you can get a point of interests file with all the LPG sites on?

You can get a book on eBay with most lpg sites on, not up to date as more station are getting pumps fitted especially bp & shell.

UK

• http://www.autogas.ltd.uk/whereToBuy.htm
  • you can buy the book as said - If you buy the book it has an access code on the back giving you access to the members bit of the above.
  • you can download SatNav POI's if you have a aftermarket' savnav system. just do a google on POI LPG there are a few sources

France

Mmmm ?

Jeff

Payback depends on your milage but also depends on what consumption your car does. A car that averages 20mpg will payback twice as quick as a car that averages 40mpg assuming the same milage.

I paid for my conversion on my LS430 and cost £1800 and do about 12,000 miles a year. So far in the past 2.5 months I have averaged 33 mpg equivalent, factoring in the petrol I use as well. I do very short journeys during the week barely enough to get onto LPG. My previous car a 2.2ltr Diesel Primera used to average 27mpg for the same kind of driving. On a run I estimate I will get about 50mpg equivalent, wheras my Primera used to do about 42mpg when driven like 'miss daisy'.

I haven't done a full 'run' yet on gas so its hard to judge exactly what MPG I can get. I'm going to France in August so I will have a record of 870 miles each way on LPG to give me a better idea of the true MPG but even then I will be fully loaded, 4 up and with a roof box and probably air con so even that won't be a true reflection.

Hey Sparky. Don't forget you'll need a gun converter for France. If you go into Belgium & Holland you'll need another gun converter again. (it the same gun converter for Belgium & Holland)

You'll find these on eBay.

Jeff

Hi John.

Please follow the link below.

If you own a Sat Nav you can download this info as a PIO and locate your filling stations. Not that I can be sure it's accurate or up to date. Most know their own area.

http://www.calor.co.uk/lpg-autogas/lpg-refuelling.html

I went to this site below. It's crap. Really it is. I did a manual search on my post code. It missed 4 filling stations within a 4 mile radius of me that I know of and 2 more that are within 8 miles of me. Thats downright disapointing!

Makes you wonder if it's been on purpose :tomato: Which come to think of it, if it's not calor/shell it wouldn't be there I guess.

http://www.autogas.ltd.uk/whereToBuyMap.htm

Sainsbury. Somerfields & Morrisions also do LPG in varying degrees too and I'm sure there are more that this.

Jeff

Hey Sparky. Don't forget you'll need a gun converter for France. If you go into Belgium & Holland you'll need another gun converter again. (it the same gun converter for Belgium & Holland)

Jeff

yeh thanks, I've already got one - I came across this 'problem ' when reading up on it. I've also planned all my LPG stops on the way down using the french website and also know the nearest one to where I am staying :D

After 2 and a bit months of owning the car, I've just done my first 'motorway only' journey on LPG.

228 miles using 38 litres at 43p per litre.

based on Petrol being 101.9, that equates to 64.63mpg :D

not bad for a 4.3l V8 barge.

The motorway was pretty busy all the way so I was probably averaging between 60-70 most of the way.

Computer showed 33mpg and the real MPG was 27 so basically I'm loosing just under 20% mpg - which surprised me bearing in minds my system is one of the new multiple seqential systems.

Jeff

yeh thanks, I've already got one - I came across this 'problem ' when reading up on it. I've also planned all my LPG stops on the way down using the french website and also know the nearest one to where I am staying :D

After 2 and a bit months of owning the car, I've just done my first 'motorway only' journey on LPG.

228 miles using 38 litres at 43p per litre.

based on Petrol being 101.9, that equates to 64.63mpg :D

not bad for a 4.3l V8 barge.

The motorway was pretty busy all the way so I was probably averaging between 60-70 most of the way.

Computer showed 33mpg and the real MPG was 27 so basically I'm loosing just under 20% mpg - which surprised me bearing in minds my system is one of the new multiple seqential systems.

Hi Sparky is it a plug & learn/drive system you have fitted, how long did the installers have the car, did you have to take it back to get the initial set up adjusted, I had to take mine back after 500 to a 1000 miles to get the system re callibrated, it was adjusted so the lpg followed the same map as on petrol, My installers insisted I bring it back as the system takes time to settle down. It doesnt follow the map 100% exactly at some points it uses slightly less gas & on outhers more, I am down 5 to 10% on the gas, I supose it varies from system to system, I would contact your installers & check if all is OK, maybe it just needs tweaking a bit on the computer, I sat in with my installers & it took a good hour of driving around (bit of motorway , town , hard acceleration , gentle driving) to get the initial set up correct.

Good luck Mark

dunno if its a self learning system - its omvl.

I did go back after about 500 miles cos it was switching over to petrol under hard acceleration (didn't try this to start with cos they say 'run in the system' for 500 miles or so), they tweeked the map again. but I had to go back again cos it was still doing it. They kept it for a day the second time and traced the problem to an airlock in the system. Its been fine since.

The initial install took 5 days ish

In my research before I had it done figures of mpg loss were stated at about 10-20%. I was partly expecting to be the lower end cos of the system. even so I am more than happy with the 'effective' mpg - I might ask them to look at it again if I am in the area or when it needs a service, but I can't be bothered driving to the garage as a special journey, its a 45 mile, nearly 2hr round trip

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links