Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

When my IS250 was dropped into Lexus Reading for an extended stay to have its 2nd engine rebuild (rattle on startup), I was offered the chance to drive a 400H for a month, partly as a goodwill gesture for having the engine knock problem recur. A far more expensive motor and more powerful too so I thought I'd be really reluctant to hand it back. One month of driving the RX400H and I can safely say that I'm so pleased to be back in my IS250.

Not that the 400H is a bad car. Far from it. Bags more space inside. Some nice gadgets like automatic rear boot opener, dipping wing mirrors on reverse. Powerful too and a nice high ride height. So why do I prefer the IS250?

Well, handling for one. Laying down that power on a motor with a high centre of gravity and tyres as big as tractor tyres meant that the 400H 'wriggled' and swayed slightly on accelerating hard and never felt quite as taught on cornering. Then theres the engine noise. A big engine which seems to have a variable gearbox , it never sounds as if it is changing gear. Just one of those things I couldnt get used to after a month of driving it. Like a beefy, grunty milkfloat engine - thats the only way I can describe it.

And with all the usual Lexus gadgets, where were the cooled seats when I needed them on an uncharacteristically hot British day? And how anyone could put up with the car auto-locking after a few seconds, expecially when the 400H is key-operated, I dont know - yes I could have taken it back to Lexus to have this option over-ridden, but hardly seemed worth it. I certainly didnt appreciate how much I enjoy the keyless entry of the IS250 until I had to go back to using a key. Small thing, maybe, but its these small things that add up to a relaxing driving experience.

And thats why I and glad to return back to the IS250 - relaxation. Such a quiet car to drive, with power there when you need it and handling thats just right for my style of laid-back driving. This is all very subjective and personal taste plays a massive part. The RX400H is not a bad car at all. But having driven one for a month, I'm now reminded why I bought my IS250 in the first place.

Maybe next time, they'll lend me an IS-F? Well, how can I compare it with my IS250 if they dont let me have one for a month? :-)

I'd describe the RX400h as a cross between a transit van and a milk float on steroids.

IMHO it has more power than is good for it.

It was fun for a day, but I was glad to get my IS250 back.

And with all the usual Lexus gadgets, where were the cooled seats when I needed them on an uncharacteristically hot British day? And how anyone could put up with the car auto-locking after a few seconds, expecially when the 400H is key-operated, I dont know - yes I could have taken it back to Lexus to have this option over-ridden, but hardly seemed worth it. I certainly didnt appreciate how much I enjoy the keyless entry of the IS250 until I had to go back to using a key. Small thing, maybe, but its these small things that add up to a relaxing driving experience.

Keyless entry and cooled seats. Before having them, they seemed like just another toy, a bit of a gimmick. However, after having them for only a few days you wonder how you lived without them before. I loved them on the IS250 and now on the GS. The keyless entry is the best feature on the car.

As soon as the cold weather was gone the ventilated seat was permenantly turned on and won't go off again till winter.

The only problem is that the choice of car for the next purchase will be restricted to cars that have these features. I couldn't go back to being without them now.

Years ago, I heard some tv celeb talking about a heated toilet seat, once you have had one you can't go back. Now I think I understand what he meant.

I've had the RX400h as a courtsey car for a 10 days now....at first I loved it, but now I have the same feelings about it as you....I even took it off road! :devil: got a good bit of air time too! (It's pants off road vs Range Rover Sport)

The problem is that apart from ragging it off road, it just isn't fun to drive. Plus every time a Range Rover goes past you just know they are looking down their nose at you!!!

Having said that, I do drive around in it like I own the community...and get some funny looks as I'm a young looking 25 year old guy. Just wish I could make the back end kick out once!

I've had the RX400h as a courtsey car for a 10 days now....at first I loved it, but now I have the same feelings about it as you....I even took it off road! :devil: got a good bit of air time too! (It's pants off road vs Range Rover Sport)

The problem is that apart from ragging it off road, it just isn't fun to drive. Plus every time a Range Rover goes past you just know they are looking down their nose at you!!!

Having said that, I do drive around in it like I own the community...and get some funny looks as I'm a young looking 25 year old guy. Just wish I could make the back end kick out once!

I must admit I didnt take it off road, but if it wallowed around like it does on-road then I think it's safest kept on tarmac.

I know what you mean about feeling like a VIP - the high ride height gives you a false feeling of self-importance, until you see another RX pass by and you don't look at them like they're 'lord of the manor' - brings you back down to earth.

Weird thing is, the opposite happens when you move from RX to IS250 - for the first day or so it felt like I was driving a lotus or a go-kart - so low off the ground compared to the RX. Almost felt like someone had lowered the springs. All forgotten though once I'd done 20 miles.

As for heated toilet seat - YUCK! Nothing worse than using the cubicle at work just after someone else has read the Daily Mail cover to cover - give me an ice-cold toilet seat any day - just seems more hygienic somehow - illogical, maybe, and subjective - just like the IS250 vs RX400H debate :hehe:

I've had a couple of RX400h's and one RX350 and I must say they really arn't my cup of tea. Once you've had a V8 though, nothing else will do though. It is so nice to get back in my LS after a courtesy car though. The times I have had the IS220d and the IS250, I have been really impressed with those though. I would quite like an IS220d as a second car.

Doesn't it say somewhere in the owners manuall that the RX350 and RX400h are not intended for off-road use?

Not that the 400H is a bad car. Far from it...Well, handling for one. Laying down that power on a motor with a high centre of gravity and tyres as big as tractor tyres meant that the 400H 'wriggled' and swayed slightly on accelerating hard and never felt quite as taught on cornering. Then theres the engine noise. A big engine which seems to have a variable gearbox , it never sounds as if it is changing gear. Just one of those things I couldnt get used to after a month of driving it. Like a beefy, grunty milkfloat engine - thats the only way I can describe it.

Finally, others who feel the same way! I have been banging the drum of 'flaws' of the 400h for quite some time on the RX Forum but don;t seem to be getting any real understanding or support. When factor in that 95% of the time the 400h is front wheel drive only, it has shocking cornering and bend taking abilities. At least the petrol only RX is all wheel drive all of the time and feels 'planted' and more secure on the road.

Finally, others who feel the same way! I have been banging the drum of 'flaws' of the 400h for quite some time on the RX Forum but don;t seem to be getting any real understanding or support. When factor in that 95% of the time the 400h is front wheel drive only, it has shocking cornering and bend taking abilities. At least the petrol only RX is all wheel drive all of the time and feels 'planted' and more secure on the road.

Having driven both 400 and 350 I don't feel the 400 is worse going around corners, certainly not unless you are really pushing it and it really has nothing to do with front wheel drive, the extra weight being the main issue.

Anybody owning an IS is going to feel the RX, be it 350 or 400, is less responsive and not as good around the bends. Equally when I had my GS430 and received an IS250 loan I felt it was very noisy, cramped and underpowered. I actually find the 400h to be quieter compared to a IS250.

• 1 month later...
When my IS250 was dropped into Lexus Reading for an extended stay to have its 2nd engine rebuild (rattle on startup), I was offered the chance to drive a 400H for a month, partly as a goodwill gesture for having the engine knock problem recur. A far more expensive motor and more powerful too so I thought I'd be really reluctant to hand it back. One month of driving the RX400H and I can safely say that I'm so pleased to be back in my IS250.

Not that the 400H is a bad car. Far from it. Bags more space inside. Some nice gadgets like automatic rear boot opener, dipping wing mirrors on reverse. Powerful too and a nice high ride height. So why do I prefer the IS250?

Well, handling for one. Laying down that power on a motor with a high centre of gravity and tyres as big as tractor tyres meant that the 400H 'wriggled' and swayed slightly on accelerating hard and never felt quite as taught on cornering. Then theres the engine noise. A big engine which seems to have a variable gearbox , it never sounds as if it is changing gear. Just one of those things I couldnt get used to after a month of driving it. Like a beefy, grunty milkfloat engine - thats the only way I can describe it.

And thats why I and glad to return back to the IS250 - relaxation. Such a quiet car to drive, with power there when you need it and handling thats just right for my style of laid-back driving. This is all very subjective and personal taste plays a massive part. The RX400H is not a bad car at all. But having driven one for a month, I'm now reminded why I bought my IS250 in the first place.

Maybe next time, they'll lend me an IS-F? Well, how can I compare it with my IS250 if they dont let me have one for a month? :-)

We have a 09 plate Rx400h in the family and TBH it feels like a boat, You put your foot down and your hear something that sounds like a growl but it doesn't go anywhere. Its got most of the toys but not as much fun as my IS 250 SEL to drive.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links