Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is200 Does Tensioner Need To Be Changed When Cambelt Is Changed

monster mat is getting personal

Lets all grow up and leave it.

were only here to help.

Matt is one of the most experianced members here.

as for Matt's comment or yours waterunder the bridge - i think.

thats right ibby cheers mate

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the fella who started this post is not really with it !!!

he got his answer pretty much straight away,

on my service, followed the advice of the forum, changed water pump, bypass valve and O rings also, as well as all the belts and the oils, tensioner, pulley, belt, car running much better

on my service, followed the advice of the forum, changed water pump, bypass valve and O rings also, as well as all the belts and the oils, tensioner, pulley, belt, car running much better

i done the same thing almost 2 weeks ago all the belts , so listen akthar dont sell out mate , dont know why people keep commenting , akthar dont sell out like i said ,,,,,, i, ve had my lexus seven years and i am property develpor if anyone is not with it its you pal , panchod

i done the same thing almost 2 weeks ago all the belts , so listen akthar dont sell out mate , dont know why people keep commenting , akthar dont sell out like i said ,,,,,, i, ve had my lexus seven years and i am property develpor if anyone is not with it its you pal , panchod

:lol: :lol: :lol: Being a property DEVELOPER isn't a profession... It's an affliction.

You can't really be a property developer... You have the wrong car, you should have a black crewcab pick up... Not actually useful for anything but they make you feel impotant. :tomato:

:lol: :lol: :lol: Being a property DEVELOPER isn't a profession... It's an affliction.

You can't really be a property developer... You have the wrong car, you should have a black crewcab pick up... Not actually useful for anything but they make you feel impotant. :tomato:

what you dont understand is that i have had my car since 2001 really enjoyed it , and i have a merc convertible that the wife drives ,so transporter you broke so and so down and out why dont you give your mouth a rest, because i would love to meet you face to face , and i would love to see how cocky you really are , come to my manor anytime mate i live in loughton essex, when your ready we can meet at the local epping forest, only if you have the balls , i dont like mouthing name your time lets get the acftion going , forget about lexus owners club , lets get this going ....... you aint got a clue if you dont want then i will locate and find out if you turn up to any shows and meet you there

what you dont understand is that i have had my car since 2001 really enjoyed it , and i have a merc convertible that the wife drives ,so transporter you broke so and so down and out why dont you give your mouth a rest, because i would love to meet you face to face , and i would love to see how cocky you really are , come to my manor anytime mate i live in loughton essex, when your ready we can meet at the local epping forest, only if you have the balls , i dont like mouthing name your time lets get the acftion going , forget about lexus owners club , lets get this going ....... you aint got a clue if you dont want then i will locate and find out if you turn up to any shows and meet you there

You're funny.... I like you... I could play with you all day.... Chase me! Chase me! :wub:

You're funny.... I like you... I could play with you all day.... Chase me! Chase me! :wub:

play with your self, like you always do.......,.*******r

that my friend has just got you a 14 day suspension

LOC will not tolerate this behavior

:angry:

was their any point in you starting this?????????????????? 100% of people are telling you what they recomend the timing belt kit(belt tensioner and idler) i and many other people on here like giving advice and helpin were i/we can but i'm not going to argue.so why dont you wanna change whats been recomended its like your trying to get out of it??.

oooooooooo

but does it needcumpulsory changing ????

nope it doesnt mate so you can change the belt with out changing the tensioner.........but and heres the but if you replace the belt and two days,a few months,a year down the line the tensioner goes pop, bang goes your belt as the bust tensioner will throw the belt oh and gues what..........that could mean a engine rebuild with 24 new valves and a very empty pocket.

so cheap out if you must but cheaping out may be costly!!!!!

I have a 2003 IS200 with 40k on the clock, when should I change my timing belt???

I have a 2003 IS200 with 40k on the clock, when should I change my timing belt???

Needs changing NOW as your car is 6 years old. Timing belt needs changing every 60k/6 years Whichever comes first

As mentioned earlier, why bother getting your timing belt changed at all?

Leave it- run your car up to 80/90/100k or more without changing the timing belt.

The 60k/6 year is a recommendation by Lexus. Changing the belt is a lot cheaper than replacing/repairing an engine.

A few people have reported the timing belt letting go before 100k.

As mentioned earlier, why bother getting your timing belt changed at all?

Leave it- run your car up to 80/90/100k or more without changing the timing belt.

The 60k/6 year is a recommendation by Lexus. Changing the belt is a lot cheaper than replacing/repairing an engine.

A few people have reported the timing belt letting go before 100k.

Hi Kam05, I appreciate all the comments and advice given on this forum, as I find it most helpful and invaluable.

However the point I was trying to make was that whatever the Lexus dealer "recommends" is not always benificial to the vehicle or the owner, it is usually more beneficial to the Lexus service departments turnover.

For example my sparks plugs are only 39,000 miles old and are absolutley brand new condition and never had a single problem with them, they are guaranteed up to 60,000 miles but Lexus 'recommend' they are to be change at 6 years old at a cost to me of £60+VAT+labour.

My gearbox oil and brake fluid is completely crystal clear but the dealer 'recommends' a change at cost of £100+VAT+labour

In total lexus want £885+VAT for this serice (6 years/60,000 miles with gearbox oil, brake fluid and timing belt) and half the things dont need changing!!

They don't care if these parts dont need changing, why should they? they would be loosing turnover.

Quote (Lexus UK Chairman, March 2008)

"The motorcar market is such at present that we no longer make profit on car sales, the majority of our income is from the service and parts department"

In future models if the dealer "recommends" that you change the timing belt at 20,000 miles would you accept this and follow in line like sheep without question, chequebooks at the ready???

My question still stands, "Does anyone know of a timing belt failure under 60,000 miles?"

My mechanic is a head technician at Lexus for over 10 years and he has not heard or seen a belt failure under 60K despite the age of the vehicle.

Have you thought about using a non-Lexus garage? As your car is out of warranty, it doesn't make sense to keep using Lexus for servicing on a car which is now out of warranty (well to me it doesn't)

I use genuine Toyota/Lexus items when servicing my car- I'm lucky I guess as I do most of the basic servicing on my car myself (oil changes, changing air/oil filters, changing spark plugs etc). For more complex stuff (timing belt change) I get this type of work done by a good local garage who I trust.

I keep all my reciepts/invoices for any work done/parts bought in my service book. My car is nearly 9 years old and has done 124k, so taking a car this old and with this many miles on the clock to Lexus for servicing doesn't make financial sense to me.

Edit: Look at this link for further proof how the belt can wear out. The car in the link had 89k on the clock.

Have you thought about using a non-Lexus garage? As your car is out of warranty, it doesn't make sense to keep using Lexus for servicing on a car which is now out of warranty (well to me it doesn't)

I use genuine Toyota/Lexus items when servicing my car- I'm lucky I guess as I do most of the basic servicing on my car myself (oil changes, changing air/oil filters, changing spark plugs etc). For more complex stuff (timing belt change) I get this type of work done by a good local garage who I trust.

I keep all my reciepts/invoices for any work done/parts bought in my service book. My car is nearly 9 years old and has done 124k, so taking a car this old and with this many miles on the clock to Lexus for servicing doesn't make financial sense to me.

Edit: Look at this link for further proof how the belt can wear out. The car in the link had 89k on the clock.

Thanks for that most useful link, it really opens your eyes to a big concern.

Your right my car is out of warranty and I have arranged with my technician to service my car over the weekend for readies in hand :winky:

I have managed to slash the ridiculous price the dealer quoted me to the following,

Remove timing belt cover and check belt, tensioner, idler etc and replace only if required otherwise schedule change at 50K service

Remove/refit spark plugs and replace if required

Change oil and filter

Change pollen filter

Change air filter

Change front brake pads

Change back brake pads

Change front brake discs

My technician will carry out all this work for me on his day off for £65 labour at my home. I got the filters from the dealer at a cost of just over £50, a fully synthetic oil from Halfrauds and a Blueprint brake system. The parts all cost me a fraction of the price quoted by the dealer and in total is still a hell a lot better than what the dealership wanted for the same work by the same technician but on their premises and their 'recommendations.'

The biggest p***take from the dealer was the quote for changing 2 remote control key batteries at a cost of £65+VAT!!!!

I asked how this is possible and they said the batteries are changed for around £6 each which I thought was quite expected as I had noticed they were available on fleabay for £3 each. But then they said once they remove the old Battery the unit may drop the code and the units will have to be recoded by the Lexus computer at cost of half an labour (labour cost at present is £97 per hour).

I went to maplins and bought 2 batteries for 50p each and changed them myself with no problems, total cost £1.00!!!!!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links