Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi Everyone, Look Like I'm Converted!

Hello everyone!

I am downsizing from an A8, and I just couldn't seem to find anything I wanted for about 4-5k, then by pressing the wrong button on Autotrader, found the IS!! My only issue was about the lack of speed I had been told about (coming from 4.2Tdi V8) but then I found this forum and have seen there appears to be loads of things that can be done.

Sooo, I went to look at one yesterday, and although not as described it made up my mind, that is what I will be getting. I am just lost in what what specs there are, what facelifted when, all the mods for what budgets there are.... :duh:

Now my only issue is what to do with it once I get it!! I'll keep pawing over the pages of this forum until I finally purchase to get ideas etc, I'm not after ball breaking speed anymore, just something more than leisurely! And I see loads of asthetic type things to do as well which will keep me interested :winky:

So looking forward to picking all of your brains for ideas and tips and seeing all your motors...

BTW, the Lexus of choice is the Gunmetal Grey IS200 Sport on a '52 plate, seen two that have my close attention!!!!

Hello and Welcome,

The one you mentioned is a good choice and you can also get it with 'styling kit' or 'navigator' or both, something to consider as it could save you money on cosmetics should you want to go down that route later on.

I have the IS300 which is the 3litre version so has the extra poke you may be after although in UK it only comes with auto box with e-shiift on the steering wheel.

Whichever though there are good tuning possibilities if you wanna spend the cash :D

Hello and Welcome,

The one you mentioned is a good choice and you can also get it with 'styling kit' or 'navigator' or both, something to consider as it could save you money on cosmetics should you want to go down that route later on.

I have the IS300 which is the 3litre version so has the extra poke you may be after although in UK it only comes with auto box with e-shiift on the steering wheel.

Whichever though there are good tuning possibilities if you wanna spend the cash :D

Thanks for the welcome everyone, comments much appreciated. I did consider the 300, but I loved the snappy gearbox in the manual, having said that, I might have a drive just to check it out....is the body and interior identical to the 200?

I was trying to read up on the Altezza, the RS200 (is that right) seems like a good compromise for me in terms of speed, but most of the interiors weren't as nice as the IS. I guess they are the same car, just with a few subtle differences?

I've read some of the big conversions people have done, now that is dedication!

This takes me back a few years to when I used to do little things to my car every month, then I grew up a bit and just bought a car wtih stuff on it but got bored sooo quick. I reckon this'll keep me engaged in the car for much longer, looking forward to it already :lol:

If you don't mind the auto, then the IS300 is probably the better all rounder..........more power so less of a drop from what you're coming from, full leather interior, Xenon headlights and a few other goodies I think. People often say the IS300 feels very different to the IS200, not just a more powerful engine but the whole car feels different. Definitely worth a drive before you make your decision :)

Welcome to the site !

Good to see a fellow Berks body on here !

Also very happy you have good taste in colour too !!!

Good luck with the search ! You shouldn’t be disappointed !!!

:zee:

Ahhh a local!! Not too far up the M4 from you (or down whichever way you look at it!) just over near Slough. Looking forward to meets (minimeets) to see everyone cars etc and peoples individuals choices :shifty:

Hello,

when I first saw the IS200 it did if for me in the looks department, which is a personal choice. I came from a background of turbo charged 4x4 ricer toys, my fav being the little Mazda 323 4x4 turbo, basically a poor mans scooby do. I've owned a lot of cars ( I didn't say nice ones!) and usually get bored of them after about a year. I think I have my own case worker at DVLA!! I've also dabbled in a very amature way with motorsport (rally stuff).

I had a Alfa 2.5v6 156 at the time (yes I know! but ya gotta own one in your life!), and a friend of mine came to visit and had one as a company car. Being boys we took them both out along my favorite rally slag route across some moorland roads..... There was no comparsion. In every way except maybe straight line speed the Lex shone through.

For a car thats listed at no more than 160hp out of a 2.0 lump I was impressed by the torque across the range, ok so your not going to win any drag races, but for a standard car I've driven nothing better than handles that well and stops that quick. The steering is pin sharp and the feedback soon lets you know your close to the limit of grip ect... the 6 speed box is highlight, it will let you dawdle around town pulling 1500rpm or scream though the A roads like a huligan.

After think about it for a while, I was talking with one of my friends who asked me "If you bought what would you change?" I took a moment and couldn't think of anything. That sold it. Went and bought one.

After a few years of ownership I still have fun driving it and I've been impressed with the build quality and the sensible way toyota designed it to be serviced ect... very few niggles in that department. No at 60k on the clock and is fettled by myself and goes to my engineering mentor for the more indepth servicing. Gets about 1/2 sensible driving and 1/2 err well not so sensible.

the sensible way toyota designed it to be serviced

Completly agree with you there mate, the IS200 is so simple to service yourself- not like VW's and Audi's with torx bolts and sensors all over the place.

I carry out most of the servicing on my IS200 myself (changing sparks, engine oil, filters, pads etc). Anything complex/out of my depth, it goes into my local garage.

I'm no mechanic- I work in IT!!!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links