Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New Member - Slightly Worried!

Morning all,

just bought a 2003 LS430 with a few miles on the clock 110k, but a full Lexus service history and recent cambelt change. Overall, pretty happy, but am a bit concerned about a whining noise it appears to have developed. Don't think it was there when I test drove it, but maybe I'm just more used to the otherwise total quiet in the cabin.

Car runs quietly up to 25mph or so. After this a noise becomes apparent, starts at a lower pitch becoming progressively higher in pitch until at 70mph or so it sounds like an aircarft. Hard to describe - you'd probably think it was a hybrid if you were sat in it. The noise isn't too loud, but it is noticeable. Doesn't matter what gear I'm in - noise stays the same.

Visited Lexus who checked the wheel bearings - wheels moving freely. They said they would have to strip down the driveshaft to see if that was it but it would be v expensive and no guarantee that this would be the problem.

I guess my question is - does anyone else notice a sinmilar noise or have any thoughts?? Don't know if its worth spending money on really.

Ned

Hi Ned welcome to the LOC.

1st thing is does the car have a warranty? If so take it in under this.

I've not heard of this particular problem before and with the relatively low milage I wouldn't have thought it was too serious.

Can you locate the noise to a particular area?

Possibles are a noisy wheel bearing but these have been checked, noisy differential ( but unlikely) might be worth checking the oil level or an out of balance propshaft ( I think there are some rubber couplings on this which I have seen for sale so could wear out).

Not an easy one to diagnose but a rolling road might show up the problem easier.

Hi Ned welcome to the LOC.

1st thing is does the car have a warranty? If so take it in under this.

I've not heard of this particular problem before and with the relatively low milage I wouldn't have thought it was too serious.

Can you locate the noise to a particular area?

Possibles are a noisy wheel bearing but these have been checked, noisy differential ( but unlikely) might be worth checking the oil level or an out of balance propshaft ( I think there are some rubber couplings on this which I have seen for sale so could wear out).

Not an easy one to diagnose but a rolling road might show up the problem easier.

thx for the response Steve.

Unfortunately no warranty - bought privately, so no comeback.

Lexus were scratching their heads a bit when I took it in - thought it was the wheel bearings but nope. They want £250+ to strip down the driveshaft & although I'm reluctant just to ignore it I'm fairly convinced it will take a lot more manpower to identify the problem.

Wondered whether it could be something to do with the handbrake? Seems very loose to me, almost as if it isn't working. Any chance it could be stuck on? There's no noticeable pulling of the car to one side tho and it seems to freewheel OK. But if anything, the sound appears to be rear left.

Failing that I think i will have to take my chances - Mark Levinson on and the sunroof open you don't notice it!

praps I'm just being too particular on a car that cost me just 7k. It's still very comfy anf I'm loving the performance.

Rolling road sounds like the only way to check it - do moast garages have this?

cheers,

Ned

I appear to have the exact same problem/symptoms. lexus have diagnosed a possible faulty F/NS wheelbearing at the second attempt, even though they didnt sound convinced themselves. Unfortunately independent checking has been unable to find any sign of wear even after a strip down of the brakes etc. My 2003 LS430 has done about 111000 miles which makes me wonder if there is an inherent problem with the model awaiting owners of lower mileage cars?

I appear to have the exact same problem/symptoms. lexus have diagnosed a possible faulty F/NS wheelbearing at the second attempt, even though they didnt sound convinced themselves. Unfortunately independent checking has been unable to find any sign of wear even after a strip down of the brakes etc. My 2003 LS430 has done about 111000 miles which makes me wonder if there is an inherent problem with the model awaiting owners of lower mileage cars?

wow that does sound sinister given the exact same age and mileage! Reckon there must be plenty of these vehicles done more mileage than ours though, so perhaps not an "inherent" fault.

I've not had it properly looked at yet as I have a couple of other vehicles needing more urgent attention but have decided it will definitiely need some diagnosis. I'm thinking suspension/brakes/driveshaft but suspect it will be a needle in a haystack to find - hence lots of money.

I will certainly keep you posted if I get anywhere with the fault finding!

cheers,

Ned

• 2 weeks later...

:blink: errrr.... could it be a belt?

it might sound rear left but when you're driving the wind would carry sound and distort it and it can tell lies to your ears

do you have a reciept for the timing belt he said he changed?

and dont let the cam belt snap - get it checked (if they have one???)

if it sounds like metal on metal, then thats what my mims rx300 sounded like when brake pads were low and a caliper had siezed and wore the pads down at funny angles, causing a similar whine constantly.

It wasnt the usual dull scraping of worn pads on discs as they were no longer flat due to one caliper pin seizing.

Worth a check (all round) as its the cheapest option so far

And check yourself so you see with your own eyes, then you can be confident.

Hope you sort it, let us know as im sure a few of us 400 owners will have a look at a 430 at some point when deciding on a new car

:blink: errrr.... could it be a belt?

it might sound rear left but when you're driving the wind would carry sound and distort it and it can tell lies to your ears

do you have a reciept for the timing belt he said he changed?

and dont let the cam belt snap - get it checked (if they have one???)

if it sounds like metal on metal, then thats what my mims rx300 sounded like when brake pads were low and a caliper had siezed and wore the pads down at funny angles, causing a similar whine constantly.

It wasnt the usual dull scraping of worn pads on discs as they were no longer flat due to one caliper pin seizing.

Worth a check (all round) as its the cheapest option so far

And check yourself so you see with your own eyes, then you can be confident.

Hope you sort it, let us know as im sure a few of us 400 owners will have a look at a 430 at some point when deciding on a new car

Yeah - thx Manc. Unfortunately I'm not mechanically minded so don't think I could check myself. However I;m liking the brakes diagnsosis. Don't think its the belt - Lexus stamped it as having a cambelt change and there's also a sticker under the hood confirming it was done. Luckily I have a local garage that I trust who can do me an inspection a lot cheaper than Lexus so I plan to take it in once my Renault Megane has had its service. Funny though, there's no pulling from one side to another which might indicate a brake issue. I wonder if there's some bearings in the driveshaft that might need oiling up or something. It deffo sounds like there's some resistance somewhere, but hey wht do I know?!

If its a wheel bearing, it will get louder or quieter when you steer either left or right because the load on the wheel increases and decreases.

If you give it a run, dont use your brakes too much, then get out and put your hand on the middle of each rear wheel, if its very hot then the handbrake is binding.

Will it roll ok on a smooth surface at walking pace, can you push the car on level ground?

Does the sound come from the front or the back, does it come from the right or the left, any info would help (check it isnt coming from the speakers).

What make of tyres are on the car? could it just be tyre noise?

Does it sound louder with the window down?

If you go from drive to reverse or from reverse to drive is there a loud clunk from underneath the car?

Have you checked the transmission fluid, do it with the engine running.

Does the Transmission fluid look brown and smell burnt?

Are there any drip marks when you move it in the morning.

If you can have a look underneath, does anything look like it has leaked, like the gearbox or the diff?

Do you know anyone else with one so that they could ride in it and have a listen.

It may be a case of wait and see, if it gets louder you may get a better idea of what the problem is. Or it may go bang, then you would definately know!

Morning all,

just bought a 2003 LS430 with a few miles on the clock 110k, but a full Lexus service history and recent cambelt change. Overall, pretty happy, but am a bit concerned about a whining noise it appears to have developed. Don't think it was there when I test drove it, but maybe I'm just more used to the otherwise total quiet in the cabin.

Car runs quietly up to 25mph or so. After this a noise becomes apparent, starts at a lower pitch becoming progressively higher in pitch until at 70mph or so it sounds like an aircarft. Hard to describe - you'd probably think it was a hybrid if you were sat in it. The noise isn't too loud, but it is noticeable. Doesn't matter what gear I'm in - noise stays the same.

Visited Lexus who checked the wheel bearings - wheels moving freely. They said they would have to strip down the driveshaft to see if that was it but it would be v expensive and no guarantee that this would be the problem.

I guess my question is - does anyone else notice a sinmilar noise or have any thoughts?? Don't know if its worth spending money on really.

Ned

Ned,

Back when cars were simple; Cortinas and Morris Minors, I think your "noise" would have been described as rushing or roaring, which sounds like a final-drive bearing heading for failure, particularly because it can be heard in all gears and gets louder as you gather speed. This assumes that wheel bearings have been ruled out, of course! A chipped gear-tooth would be a whine and only apparent in a particular gear unleass it was differential gear.

If the performance of the car doesn't seem to be impaired, I would have the differential investigated; was the oil ever changed in it? If you can lift the back wheels and rotate them by hand, you may be able to feel a harshness if a bearing is suspect.

Due to the speed at which the noise starts, you may have to wait until it gets worse to diagnose it; as you say the cabin is so quiet, problems may be evident in the Lexus before they would be in other cars.

Mike

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links