Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Aircon Irritating Me

Hi Guys,

Just a little pet peve of mine, the only 1 I really have with my car,

When I start the car and the outside temp is anywhere above 20C or so, the aircon always starts with internal Circulation on and I get a blast of hot air, especially if the cars been in the sun the whole day. I sometimes forget to change it to outside air setting or whatever and start sweating.

Now I understand it does that because I have the temp set to lowest setting and it wants to use the aircon to cool down, but I don't want to use the aircon most days, obviously to save fuel, and with our climate, you mostly doesn't really need the aircon going unless its a really sweltering day.

I also know if I turn the temp up a couple of degrees it doesn't do it but then it blows less, and I do like a little breeze in the face while I'm driving.

Was wondering if anyone knew of an easy way around it, or do I just have to live with it.

Thanks,

James

:D

As the others have said, with the A/C off the "auto" setting is a little redundant anyway on a warmish day so just put the fan dial on whatever amount of "breeze" you like, switch the other dial to "face" and it'll blow exactly how you want all the time :)

Hey guys,

Thanks for your replies, but I took it off Auto and it still starts with Circulation on, the only way I've found it doesn't do it is if I put the temp up.

O also looked in the Manual and it does say:

'When you adjust the temp to max cooling the air intake mode will be automatically changed to RECIRCULATED AIR' :(

I suppose I'll have to live with it then.

Cheers

James

With all due respect, if the outside temp is in excess of 20C, then how do you expect it to bring the cabin to the 16 or 17C that you are asking it to?.. All the little plastic processor will do is do as it is programmed for such a situation.. It doesn't matter where you set the temperature dial, it will always blow as cold air as it can provided the interior temperature is hotter than the air coming in to the car but if you set it to it's coldest setting then it will switch to recirc... Turn it up to 20 or turn on the air con... If you are worried about a small increase in fuel consumption, then you have the wrong car..

Failing all of the above... Open a window

With all due respect, if the outside temp is in excess of 20C, then how do you expect it to bring the cabin to the 16 or 17C that you are asking it to?.. All the little plastic processor will do is do as it is programmed for such a situation.. It doesn't matter where you set the temperature dial, it will always blow as cold air as it can provided the interior temperature is hotter than the air coming in to the car but if you set it to it's coldest setting then it will switch to recirc... Turn it up to 20 or turn on the air con... If you are worried about a small increase in fuel consumption, then you have the wrong car..

Failing all of the above... Open a window

I don't expect it to bring the temp down to 16C, I just get slightly irrate when I start the car on a hot day and get blasted by hot air probably in excess of 40C, I know cars interiors can get up to 50C in the sun, so this is bound to happen. Even with the A/C on it takes a minute or so to cool down. I do sometimes also leave the roof raised, and the windows down a tad to try keep it a bit cooler. I'm just worried if I have the temp set at 20C it's going to try heat the air as well when the outside temp is lower.

If I wanted it at 16C I would use the A/C, and I do use it when its warm enough, I just don't like it permanently on, as it drains alot of the power, which I can feel when pulling off, unfortunately I'm not blessed with a 300 or an S/C yet. I'm not worried about the fuel consumption, but in these tough times we should be watching the pennies.

I do longingly look at my colleagues Bmer's and Audi's, which have better fuel consumption and more power but are less comfortable and too clinical.

I love my Lex and could never part with her except for is IS250 hopefully, 1 day soon.

I'll just have to live with the quirks

:D

how about fan on low and temp on low......... wouldnt that be far easier

I am totally confused by this thread - as soon as you start the car, whether it's on recirculate or not the air that comes straight out of the system will be hot.

If the fan is on low, then it will not blow it at any great speed so should be less annoying - I just cannot understand what the problem is :duh:

The purpose of automatic air conditioning is to maintain an even cabin temperature and to this end it matters not one whit what the external temperature is.. The system measures the temperature of the air inside the car... so if you set the dial to twenty and the outside air temp is 19 and the temp inside the car is 25, then the HVAC system will blow as cold a temperature air as it can.... On a particularly sunny day if the outside air was 22, interior was 40 and the dial set to 30, then it would still not add any hot air and try to do its best to cool the car

how about fan on low and temp on low......... wouldnt that be far easier

I am totally confused by this thread - as soon as you start the car, whether it's on recirculate or not the air that comes straight out of the system will be hot.

If the fan is on low, then it will not blow it at any great speed so should be less annoying - I just cannot understand what the problem is :duh:

Thanks for trying, but I don't want the fan on low and I don't want it set at 20C. I like the fan on auto, and the temp at the lowest so it blows. If its on a higher temp it blows less, which I don't want. It just irratates me that I have to change it from Recirc to Outside everytime I start the car. whether its a lower or higher temp outside.

I have found out by reading the manual that you can't get around this, so I will just live with having to press an extra button after startup.

Cheers,

James

I don't want the fan on low and I don't want it set at 20C. I like the fan on auto, and the temp at the lowest so it blows. If its on a higher temp it blows less, which I don't want.

Ok think I'm with you now, unfortunately as you've found I don't think there's a solution :)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links