Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

My Garage Build

kam05

I'm having a garage built to the side of my house. The garage will have a utility built at the back of the garage (plan is to put the washing machine/tumble dryer out in the utility room).

The garage will be 21 foot long and 6.5 foot wide (not including the utility)- plenty of room for my IS200.

I'll update this thread with pics- we all like pics :)

For now:

Footings have been dug out (currently waiting for building control to come out and inspect the footings before the brickwork can begin):

DSC00192.jpg

DSC00193.jpg

DSC00194.jpg

DSC00195.jpg

The garage will be built to the side of my house:

DSC00196.jpg

Looks good, and very interesting as i'm just about to move to a new place and the first thing i need to do is build a garage.

Could i be really rude and ask what sort of costs are involved? I'm just sorting out budgets so any info would be really useful (by pm if prefer?)

Looks good, and very interesting as i'm just about to move to a new place and the first thing i need to do is build a garage.

Could i be really rude and ask what sort of costs are involved? I'm just sorting out budgets so any info would be really useful (by pm if prefer?)

You have a PM.

The garage on the house I moved into at the end of May only has a 6'6" door - I can't get the GS in it!

When I moved in, it didn't have a door at all so I suppose it's an improvement... I need it to keep the motorbike in really, won't be keeping the car in it even if it would fit through! I will rebuild it completely, though it's hardly a priority at the moment. Rewire of the whole house next week, then we can start doing some decorating etc.

Hope the 8 foot is inside then with no pillars in the side wall ;) I'm assuming your house is on the left, in which case I hope you are going to move that white soil pipe otherwise you will struggle to get the car in let alone you getting out.

I was going to say the same thing about the 6.5ft but even 8ft is a tight fit - ours is an old house and therefore has a relatively narrow garage at just over 8ft and it's very tight with the IS in there - anything bigger and you wouldn't easily be able to open the door enough.

8ft should be just about enough though as long as it is that all the way along as Steve mentioned :)

Ok, its update time.

Footings have been approved by the building inspector, so the builders have started on the block/brickwork. I have builders who work on the weekends!!! :ohmy:

The below is what the builders have done in the last 2 days.

Front of garage:

DSC00197.jpg

The garage door will be fixed the to pilar (on the right) and the other side of the garage door will be fixed directly to the side of the house.

Side elevation:

DSC00198.jpg

Rear of utility room:

DSC00199.jpg

Side of ultility room:

DSC00200.jpg

A door and window will be added on this side of the utility room.

• 2 weeks later...

Another update:

Block/brickwork is now complete, the roof is about to go on:

Front of garage:

DSC00203.jpg

Side elevation:

DSC00204.jpg

Rear elevation:

DSC00205.jpg

Side elevation of utility room:

DSC00206.jpg

Another side elevation of utility room:

DSC00207.jpg

Waiting for door and window to be put in. The utility also needs water supply, electric supply and plastering as well. May add a sink at some point.

Beams in the garage roof (for storage etc):

DSC00208.jpg

Looks good, tidy brickwork :)

I still can't understand what's going to happen to the white soil pipe, if it doesn't go how will you open the door? Also there will be no room against the house wall so are you sure you have enough room to get the car in and get out? I make it nine bricks which equates to less than 8 foot and that's without the frames for the door.

Soil pipe is to stay where it is.

I know it doesn't like it in from the pics, but the car will fit through....just.

I'm going for a sectional garage door (not a up and over door), so this type of door won't interfer with the soil pipe.

Looks like it's coming along nicely, does look a snug fit but with a sectional door the pipe won't interfere and I think you'll be fine to get in and out (although you'll need to be careful!)

Our garage is 8ft wide inside, but the opening is just 6.5ft and the IS goes in without too much trouble - although if you're having a fence put up to the right of the garage that will make it more of a challenge.......

No mate- no fence going up on the right hand side (on the front), but a fence will be going up at the back (starting against the outside back wall of the utility room).

• 2 weeks later...

Time for another update:

Ok, blockwork now completed, roof completed, facias/gutters on, water supply added, utility room skimmed/plastered and water and waste pipes added. Its 95% complete now.

Jobs left to do:

Garage door, flu for boiler (needs to be put through the garage roof) and electrics (plugs, sockets and switches have been put in the garage and the utility room they need wiring up to the main fusebox).

Pics below:

Front of garage:

DSC00211.jpg

As you can see the car fits in snugly

My house and garage:

DSC00212.jpg

Close up:

DSC00213.jpg

Utility room:

DSC00215.jpg

That's MrsKam05 standing in the Utility!

Another pic of the Utility room:

DSC00216.jpg

• 6 months later...

About time I updated this:

Garage door now on (In the end I decided to go for a roller type door and not sectional type of door):

DSC00282.jpg

I did all this work in the Utility room (floor tiling, fitting worktop & sink, fitting water heater and also wall tiling):

DSC00280.jpg

DSC00279.jpg

I also layed some flags down (the ones which the bins are sat on):

DSC00281.jpg

My house (with Lexus on the drive):

DSC00283.jpg

At least you ca get the car in.

Unlike my garage, the plan was the lex would go in the garage till i sell my car, then mum and dad car on drive then my other car on road as parking is a pain as noone use there drives in my street.

Well because of how strrp my drive is cant even get the car in as exhaust catches.

So my lex is in fornt of garage now then dads car and me and mum park on road think people getting annoyed. aspechally when my brother over and we have 6 cars lol. Owell we pay road tax lol

Waiting for planning permission to knock wall down and build a hard core drive on the front gaden so my is200 and dad mazda 3 (oe rs when he gets it) can go there covered with cctv. (Mainly to stop the kids using them as goal posts which they like doing with my car at min)

• 2 months later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links