Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Engines...

F_O_R_D_Y

i am looking for an altezza and have noticed the 2 options for engines.

1 the 6cyl, is this the same engine as in a is200 as i find it sluggish for the size of it until you cane the revs?

2 is the 4cyl beams a good reliable engine?

3 what is the fuel consumption on the 4cyl beams and the 6cyl (if different to is200), only want a roundabout figure as my journey to work is 25miles?

would appreciate any the help

thanks

is200 = 2.0 6 cylinder

is300 = 3.0 6 cylinder (2jz-ge think n/a supra)

altezza

rs200 = 2.0 4 cylinder (3s-ge beams)

as200 = 2.0 6 cylinder

as300 = 3.0 6 cylinder (2jz-ge)

as300 gita = 3.0 6 cylinder (2jz-ge) + All Wheel Drive

what follows is my opinion:

the is200 is in and of itself a respectable motor.

the 3s-ge beams is a beautiful motor, high compression with many affordable options, including forced induction if you don't like high compression.

the 2jz-ge is a limitless option considering you can turbo charge the thing with basically stock toyota parts (just get a supra ECU)

or go all out with the various aftermarket turbo kits and other stuff, but it will drain your net worth unless you are in control of yourself financially.

as far as i know the altezza as300 gita is the only factory AWD application of the 2jz (even here in japan)

if you got the money, go for the gita. i personally like the wagon, they are abundant over here in japan.

the gita are still quite expensive (upwards of 1000000 YEN, which is about $11,000.00 U.S.) for 1999 decent, and go up for leather, and cleaner and newer.

http://www.japan-partner.com/new_list.php?...mp;x=25&y=5

and the gita are hard to find, who would want to get rid of a luxury 2jz with AWD? not me...

hope this helps

Only problem with the 2JZ 4WD Gita is they only come with a 5 speed auto trans.

If you're doing lots of open road driving then get a RS200-Z or L Edition. They make 210PS(154kW) @7600rpm in 6MT form & 200PS(147kW) in 5AT.

See http://www.net-park.co.jp/etc/toyota/carim...002/7002-15.jpg

Rear wheel drive will handle a lot better than 4WD & not to mention be a lot more fun :winky: The 2JZ makes 220PS(162kW) But with the extra weight of the engine & drivetrain it won't be any quicker than the RS200 3SGE. Not to mention you'll get taxed more.

AS200 1G-FE = FAIL. (Sorry to offend anyone) but 160PS(118kW) just doesn't cut the mustard in this day & age.

E910 is absolutely right about the stock numbers and figures...

But it is impossible to modify the BEAMS 3S-GE to out perform a properly modified 2JZ...

Once you start adding turbos and stuff that block (2JZ) is good for around 1000hp.

It is the same engine from the MK IV Toyota Supra, japanese soarers, aristos, and several other toyotas.

If you get the Gita then you will already have most of the stuff to do the swap to a 2JZ-GTE.

I believe it was Carrol Shelby who said, "There is no replacement for displacement."

it would not be that difficult to source another gearbox if you were willing to do the other modifications.

But if you are looking for the most fun with the least amount to do(and spend), definitely the RS200

BEAMS is a generic JDM Toyota term, is stands for Breakthrough Engine Advanced Management System (or something other gobbledegook like that)!

It is commonly applied to the 3S-GE Altezza engine for some reason, maybe because it is in big letters on the engine cover! It has nothing to do with performance or tuning.

As Rob said above it also applies to the 1G-FE engine in the AS200, you don't come across many of these in Europe, there was no real point in importing them as they are the same as the IS200.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links