Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi all

new on here and new to LEXUS!

JUST BOUGHT A T REG LS400

wow what a car,why have I waisted years with bmw's?

can anyone help though the sat nav screen is blurred works when you touch it but the screen is almost impossible to read any ideas who fixes these?

thankyou

steve

Hi & welcome, I haven't come across a dodgy sat nav screen before, I assume you have gone into the menu & tried adjusting the brightness. If that doesnt work I think Maurice ( benfur) will have an used one at a reasonable price.

best of luck Mark

Hi all

can anyone help though the sat nav screen is blurred works when you touch it but the screen is almost impossible to read any ideas who fixes these?

thankyou

steve

Welcome Steve.

Wasted years with BMW's? Sounded familiar to me. I used to own a 535i. Lovely car, yes.... but some annoying niggles, not to mention their legendary labour rates, one of the highest in the industry!! The Lexus is by far a superior product overall.

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like they didnt stop using the dodgy components in Lexus electronics by T reg then?

All to familiar with the blinking dash and blacked out c/c display and the dodgy cd system on the Mk2...... 7 or 8 years later and they still havn't sussed it.

Dont know why they cant team up with top quality PC manufacturers and put a proper system and display in there...my microsoft autoroute never has any problems...and yes it is GPS too, but yeah its better to be built in to the dash than a laptop sliding off the passenger seat etc

You need to find an electronics expert somewhere, maybe at a university or something but if the display is erratic then it could just be the screen display itself and not any electronic components, remember the early plasma tv's that kept burning images in, or the lcd monitors that if touched never work the same again...?? well those were out around the time these cars were built so it could be just bad quality made to look good in those early days.

If Lexus did use untested or faulty technology then they should really own up to it and subsidise any replacements at cost.... :whistling:

Hi all

thankyou

steve

steve have you chekced your boot to ensure it is not leaking - the boot seal is known to leak - oftn causing problems with the cd drive in the boot

• 2 weeks later...
Hi all

thankyou

steve

steve have you chekced your boot to ensure it is not leaking - the boot seal is known to leak - oftn causing problems with the cd drive in the boot

no leaks anyone know anybody breaking a t reg?

thanks for replies

I'll hazard a guess on this so don't shoot me if it's wrong.

I believe the MKIV's SatNav screen was actually a small CRT rather a TFT screen as found in more modern SatNav units, it made sense 10+ years ago as it was a very high quality and very expensive unit for it's day and dual-scan flat screens (before TFT) were often small, dark, and unless you were looking at them dead straight all the colours became inverted, so BMW's and Merc's of the day had tiny screens in awkward places, Toyota thought better to fit a small computer monitor instead.

This means that the touch screen part of the system is probably a touch sensitive film which is placed over the top of the screen, when the film comes into contact with the glass of the screen it registers a press.

It's quite possible that over the years of heat/being in the sun/excess usage etc that this film has become slightly detached and therefore making the image appear blurry, as essentially it's become out of focus.

Another possibility is that some sort of cleaning substance has been used on the film and caused it to become opaque.

I'm not sure how you would fix either problem, although an AV/electronics place aught to be able to help.

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone here bought the bits from eBay, did you also get the Satnav discs?

If anyone has 2 copies of France, Spain etc ? I'd happily buy the CD copies, any age.

Like many, mine were removed from the car and subsequenly lost. Only UK & I remained in the drive.

I've updated the UK (£120), so have an elderly copy if anyone is interested.

Kev

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links