Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Which Bridgestones Are Better?

kev dood

I seem to remember that one of the standard tyres for the IS200 was the Bridgestone Potenza tyre, in, I think, RE040 spec.

There are now RE040 and 050 versions. So, I was wondering what your thoughts were on which was best? I seem to remember a long time ago, people saying that one was not so good, but that was a long long time ago now.

I currently have the lexus version of the Dunlop SP9000 Sports and am very happy with them wear wise (30k+ per set), so am after something similar (need all 4).

I want something that is gonna last and grip wet and dry (don't we all!). What sort of mileage have people had with the Potenzas?

Personally if they're available in the size, I'd go for the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetrics, they're cheaper than the competition (bizarrely) and better in every way.

Other than that I'd stick with the Dunlops as they are a very good tyre. Can't remember which it is, but think the RE040 is the OEM tyre which I think is awful, don't have experience of the RE050 except on my bro's Z4 but they're runflats so can't really compare.

you had good wear out of them then - and they handle ok?

I would stay with the Dunlops, but you cannot get the lexus version of the SP9000 any more!! Pain! :(

Haven't had them long enough to know about wear, only done about 5000 miles so far but they're still looking pretty good.

In other respects though they are so much better than the dunlops I had before, they are considerably quieter, handling is much improved and grip is phenomenal. Not a huge difference in the dry as the dunlops were pretty good at that too, but in the wet the goodyears are untouchable - can corner at some ridiculous speeds now without really losing traction.

I've put 12k on my F1A's- I think I've only got another 2-3k left in them before the they need replacing.

All the wear is even- WIM did the geometry on my car before I had the F1A's fitted.

• 3 weeks later...
you had good wear out of them then - and they handle ok?

I would stay with the Dunlops, but you cannot get the lexus version of the SP9000 any more!! Pain! :(

The replacement for the Dunlop SP9000 L was just the standard version SP9000..but then they brought out the Dunlop Sp Sport maxx (japan) version.( extra £10 over normal version)..i had these on my IS200 (rears) 225/40/"18" and they were very good indeed,quiet,wear rate was very good and the grip in the wet and dry was brilliant....and they had a massive rim protection aswell....all in all 9/10.... :D

Yeah I had the non-Lexus SP9000s and never really noticed any difference........both the Dunlops and the Goodyears have a decent rim protector :)

I had a friend looking at my car very oddly.....she said to me "theres something wrong with your tyre" so i said "why whats wrong with the tyre"? ....she was on about the size of the rim protection.! she didnt know it was meant to look like that.. :lol:

I had a friend looking at my car very oddly.....she said to me "theres something wrong with your tyre" so i said "why whats wrong with the tyre"? ....she was on about the size of the rim protection.! she didnt know it was meant to look like that.. :lol:

Lol, ironic seeing as rim protectors were probably designed mainly for women :shutit: :lol:

Lol, ironic seeing as rim protectors were probably designed mainly for women :shutit: :lol:

:lol: yeah your damn right there matey..! :lol:

A friend has RE050's on his Z4 and does NOT rate them in the wet - they are the run flat version though!!

I think I am gonna go for the RE040's as standard fitment and should wear ok. Plus if they have rim protectors then wicked, I hadn't been able to tell from the Bridgestone site!

BTW - the standard SP9000 are NOT the replacement for the SP9000 L. They have both been available for years in their own right! Even Dunlop recommend NOT to fit the standard SP9000's to the IS as it is not great for handling.

The IS200 uses special versions of the SP9000's which had a stiffer side wall and different tyre compound. ID'd by the fact they are made in Japan and not Germany.

I have had over 30k from both my sets of dunlops and am well happy with them. If I only for 12-15k from a set of new tyres I would be very unhappy!

Can you put SP sport Maxx on the IS? Are the Japan versions a Lexus version then or ?? And.... do they do them in 215/45 17?

My brother has the same tyres on his Z4, he doesn't generally complain about them so assumed they were ok - seems they may have the same problem as the RE040s then. Personally I wouldn't go for the Bridgestones, every time I had them on a courtesy car they were awful, was so happy each time to get my car back on its Dunlops at the time.

I think the SP Sport 01 is the natural successor to the SP Sport 9000 - it has an asymmetric tyre design, half looks like the 9000 and the other half looks like a normal tyre (if that makes sense). We have them on our Merc and they're great tyres.

The SP Sport Maxx is the generation after so must be better I guess, but no experience of it myself.

Just got off the phone to Dunlop Technical - Nice chap!

He confirmed the difference between lexus and non lexus versions of the 9000 as stated above, which will also be stopped soon apparently.

Apart from these differences, the lexus versions are different because they are designed to correct the natural tendacies of the UK (and possibly EU) Lexus's chassis setup to pull slightly to the left. The lexus version of the tyres corrects that slightly in the tread and make up of the tyres to make it more neutral.

He said about the Sport Maxx TT which is their new tyre. Its not specifically tuned to lexus, but will have stiffer sidewalls due to the kevlar in the tyre which the 9000 didn't have. Or, he said about the Sport 3000A which although not tuned to lexus, was tuned to a Toyota Avensis, which apparently has similar setup/tendacies to the lexus. Only difference is that they don't do a Z rating on that tyre of MFS (rip protector).

Not really sure what I will do to be honest. I like the dunlops as they have lasted and performed really well, but the Bridgestones were also standard fit. But not sure what they will be like. Are the 040's not supposed to be that great in the wet then?

Can anyone who has had the Potenza RE040's on, can they say how long they lasted and what they thought of them?

If the 040 is the OEM Bridgestone tyre (which I think it was) then it is awful when compared to the SP Sport 9000.

It was much noisier, and had much less grip both in the dry and the wet (especially in the wet).

The noise thing was funny actually, because my car was in and out of the bodyshop a lot in 05, and they had given me an 05 courtesy car - all their cars were on bridgestones and the guy from the bodyshop asked me what I had done to my car to make it so quiet! He couldn't understand how my 3 year old car was so much quieter inside than the new ones they had.......

I still think the Eagle F1A is the best tyre at the mo because it is a real step up from the 9000s in every area - but I really don't know about wear, and as I don't do big mileage it doesn't bother me that much.

Yeah its the OEM tyre. Interesting as I thought the V tread pattern was supposed to be noisier (or was that quieter!)?

Umm, still thinking then..... arse.

I'm not sure if there is a rule as such, but I think you're referring to the original Eagle F1s, which were supposed to "whine" a bit, and probably why the asymmetrics have a more normal pattern (and are even quieter than the Dunlops).

Sorry for confusing the issue :unsure:

I had several sets of the Bridgestone RE040 tyres - as fitted from new.

They weren't lasting very long - typically 7-10 thousand miles.

Dealer did what they called a 'full alignment' on their 'Bear' machine couple of times to try and sort that problem out.

Didn't work - and we now know the factory settings they were using won't make things better.

Then I switched to the Dunlop Lexus specials which seemed better all round.

Now I've got some 18" wheels with Good Year Eagle F1 GSD3 tyres on and have them inflated to 35psi all round.

Had a 'proper' alignment done recently at WIM which definitely makes the car nicer to drive.

Hopefully the quick eating of tyres is now just destined to be part of this ownership history.

Not sure if the Bridgestones would have been much better if the car was properly aligned - got less noise from the Dunlops.

Probably best to go for some better regarded tyres and avoid your dilemma altogether ..

TG

The Dunlop sport Maxx ( L or JAPAN was desinged for the Lexus after they stopped making the SP9000 ( L ) these had a different sidewall and different compound to the normal sport Maxx.....these are what i had fitted to my IS200 when i had it and they were great tyres....

Ah, didn't know they did a Lexus version of the Sport Maxx - will check that out. Tech bloke didn't mention it!

Tony - interesting that your bridgestones only did around 7-10k! thats not good.

Ah, didn't know they did a Lexus version of the Sport Maxx - will check that out. Tech bloke didn't mention it!

Tony - interesting that your bridgestones only did around 7-10k! thats not good.

Yes mate ask for the Dunlop sport Maxx ( L or Japan ) think they are about £10 more per tyre...i got mine from WIM/blackboots...but most should sell them

• 4 weeks later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links