Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

On my 430 I get 17-18% less mpg, I recon about 18-19,000 before payback which for me is 18 months ish based on a £1800 install

firstly your install is cheaper so about 15,000 to recover so I recon you are about right on the 2 years. This is of course ignoring the fact that the car will be easier to sell and command a higher price.

LPG price is a factor - 59p is astonomical - I pay 43p.

Shop around - there are often 'energy/gas' suppliers rather than Petrol stations. Some have deals where you pay up front and get a cheaper price. I pay £100 to get gas at 43p otherwise its 47p, still way cheaper than 59p, even my local Shell station is 49p

You pay up front for cheaper LPG? could you give the company name, I would like to find a place like that in Glasgow. thanks

Ace energy - but thats no good for you as its in Halifax. - I stopped at a plcae near Wolverhampton once and they had advance prices of 37p/litre

ring round your local suppliers

Glasgow suppliers don't seem to be too bad to start off with

43.0p / Litre Glasgow Calor Centre Glasgow

48.9p / Litre Asda Stores Ltd Glasgow

48.9p / Litre Morrisons - Glasgow Glasgow

49.9p / Litre BP Castle Bank Service Station Glasgow

50.9p / Litre Shell Hillington Glasgow

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The more i follow this thead, the more it seems to me, that there is more to this than meets the eye. For 1, 15 and 16 mpg on LPG is a bit scarey. I know that the roads and how you drive will make a massive difference to mpg. I live in the Lake District which you might think would use a lot a fuel climbing all those hills. But the extra fuel you use climbing hills is saved when you go down the other side. And there is little traffic around here so we dont have any sitting in traffic jams wasting fuel. the other thing is that everwhere i go will be 20 miles+. I get about 23 just driving round and 28 ish on motorway driving. Best ever was 30 mpg on a 330 mile trip, 70-75 max.

Now i know that LPG lowers the mpg but 15 to 16?? And it seems that it also depends on the type or make of system.

It would be really interesting and useful to have some feed back from lpg users as to exactly what mpg they are getting and from what system. So far i have read mpg from 15 to 25 and thats just this thread. Im really keen to get converted but im equally keen to get the best system for my model which i think is an August 93 MK11.

What you are getting is probably about right for the kind of journeys you are doing - stop start is a killer - you only have to look at the 'current mpg' on the computer. I HAVE to stop and start from a standstill about 20 times on my 3 mile journey irrespective of whether there is any traffic.

you have to knock off 15%ish for LPG

I have a 3 mile journey to work and get about 12mpg on gas, on a run I get about 27 mpg on gas that equates to about 30/65 at current prices

mine is an OMVL system.

Ahh thanks for that, i was worried that i wasnt filling up properly. I am a bit gutted as 60l would of been perfect as i could do approx 200miles on that.

If you could have got 60 litres of LPG in you should get more than 200 miles out of it, thats only 15 MPG.

I get about 180 miles out of a fill normally 48 litres booting it around London very stop start thats about 16 mpg, 250 to 300 miles on a run motorway speeds. I could get more if I really tried.I have 25 kw injectors fitted in mine which are good for 278bhp full gas maximum. If you have larger capacity injectors fitted maybe the mpg will sufer a little or if its been set up running richer on gas. A lot depends on the kit you have fitted & how well its set up, as to how efficent its going be. My system is one of the new generation plug & learn conversions with its own ecu that piggybacks off the lexus ecu & follows the same map as if running on petrol ( near as possable ) This can also be played around with using a lap top to make the lump run richer or leaner under different loads or speeds.

If the systems have got that clever, can they link into the computer so that you get the normal display of range and current and average MPG etc ?

Mike

Hi you get current & average mpg mph but not range as thats a sensor on the petrol tank I reset trip b every time I fill with gas, the new systems out are a world apart from the old systems they start on petrol & seamlessly change over to gas the only time I notice is if it changes when im stoped in traffic as the revs momentarily drop.

Hi you get current & average mpg mph but not range as thats a sensor on the petrol tank I reset trip b every time I fill with gas, the new systems out are a world apart from the old systems they start on petrol & seamlessly change over to gas the only time I notice is if it changes when im stoped in traffic as the revs momentarily drop.

Thanks Mark - that sounds neat .... but doesn't the LPG tank come with some kind of gauge, or do you have to use the tripmeter as a proxy gauge

I did some searching on the LPG forum, but it is so full of detailed stuff, that finding the simple stuff is tricky.

Am I right in thinking that you ditch the LS's spare wheel and the guy fits an 84 litre tank in there. Is the fill cap then normally inside the boot (which would be OK). What happens in a motorway shunt? I guess it's all been thought of otherwise people would have been dying in fireballs in their droves. Are insurance premiums normally affected by the changeover to LPG.

Thanks

Mike

Thanks Mark - that sounds neat .... but doesn't the LPG tank come with some kind of gauge, or do you have to use the tripmeter as a proxy gauge

I did some searching on the LPG forum, but it is so full of detailed stuff, that finding the simple stuff is tricky.

Am I right in thinking that you ditch the LS's spare wheel and the guy fits an 84 litre tank in there. Is the fill cap then normally inside the boot (which would be OK). What happens in a motorway shunt? I guess it's all been thought of otherwise people would have been dying in fireballs in their droves. Are insurance premiums normally affected by the changeover to LPG.

Thanks

Mike

I got a refund on my insurance last year when I changed to LPG.

LPG is safe http://www.autogas.ltd.uk/news/articles/ne...-lpg-safety.htm

The 'guage' on the LPG is useless for accurage guaging - it has 4 green segments and a 'red segment' - the first green segment on mine lasts about 10 miles if that, the remaining 3 green segments last about 60miles each and the last red segment about 100 miles at motorway speeds

the biggest problem I have is making sure I have petrol. The petrol guage works off the ECU, so when running on gas the petrol guage continues to go down. On extended motorway runs it resets itself occasionally but on my short journeys it doesn't. I have run out of petrol once. I've got to the stage where I just put in a set amount every week, and just note where the guage is after 'filling'. I try to keep 1/4 -/ 1/2 a tank in max.

on the whole running out of LPG is not a problem - it costs money, thats all , whereas running out of Petrol can mean you can't start the car.

Thanks

Mike

Hi Mike

You can have a tank in the spare wheel well ( I have) 84 litres is the biggest, you can also have a 100 litre cylinder tank in the boot , so you keep your spare but loose boot space. I have my filler mounted on my towbar outherwise it would have to be mounted on a bracket underneath, or a hole cut in the wing ( must vent to outside & be secure as the pumps have a break off point if you drive off without disconecting.

I carry ride on punture sealent an electric pump & a repair plug kit.

The lpg system has its own gauge which works on pressure in the tank ( they are not very accurate hence using the trip meter)

An lpg tank is safer than a petrol one, If you do have a big rear end shunt & the valve breaks off at the tank end (very unlikely ) It has a break off seal. The tank has a vent off on it, so if it gets hot in a Fire it burns the lpg off that way ( by that stage the car is a fireball anyway.

I am a LGV instructor & we do Hazardous goods training Ive seen the test videos, petrol cars become an inferno first, the early lpg tanks from the 70s/80s go bang. the latter systems burn well but at a much latter point than petrol or diesel.

On my insurance the premium stayed the same my exess went up by £100. Most companys dont charge anything extra

Thanks

Mike

Hi Mike

You can have a tank in the spare wheel well ( I have) 84 litres is the biggest, you can also have a 100 litre cylinder tank in the boot , so you keep your spare but loose boot space. I have my filler mounted on my towbar outherwise it would have to be mounted on a bracket underneath, or a hole cut in the wing ( must vent to outside & be secure as the pumps have a break off point if you drive off without disconecting.

I carry ride on punture sealent an electric pump & a repair plug kit.

The lpg system has its own gauge which works on pressure in the tank ( they are not very accurate hence using the trip meter)

An lpg tank is safer than a petrol one, If you do have a big rear end shunt & the valve breaks off at the tank end (very unlikely ) It has a break off seal. The tank has a vent off on it, so if it gets hot in a Fire it burns the lpg off that way ( by that stage the car is a fireball anyway.

I am a LGV instructor & we do Hazardous goods training Ive seen the test videos, petrol cars become an inferno first, the early lpg tanks from the 70s/80s go bang. the latter systems burn well but at a much latter point than petrol or diesel.

On my insurance the premium stayed the same my exess went up by £100. Most companys dont charge anything extra

I've just sold my E39 528 BMW with LPG and loved its low running costs. LPG is harder on plugs than petrol so maybe a change of plugs. Some people like to fit the extra lube as LPG is 'drier' than petrol.LPG evaporates at 30° so your coolant system must be spot on.My BM changed over after ½mile from stone cold. On a big car a big tank makes sense and the spare can still be kept in the boot. If the space is needed, ie, holiday, then temporary roof bars to hold the wheel.Another method is convert a cycle rack to hold the wheel.Modern systems can have the filler under the fuel flap.I believe the regulations now stipulate a certain height and position from the ground. I dont own a Lexus but looking for one with gas.

I've just sold my E39 528 BMW with LPG and loved its low running costs. LPG is harder on plugs than petrol so maybe a change of plugs. Some people like to fit the extra lube as LPG is 'drier' than petrol.LPG evaporates at 30° so your coolant system must be spot on.My BM changed over after ½mile from stone cold. On a big car a big tank makes sense and the spare can still be kept in the boot. If the space is needed, ie, holiday, then temporary roof bars to hold the wheel.Another method is convert a cycle rack to hold the wheel.Modern systems can have the filler under the fuel flap.I believe the regulations now stipulate a certain height and position from the ground. I dont own a Lexus but looking for one with gas.

Hi with regard to the flah lube kit the ls 400 does not need it. funny enough the gs300 does some converters insist on installing it though.

Hi with regard to the flah lube kit the ls 400 does not need it. funny enough the gs300 does some converters insist on installing it though.

Another thing is you cant empty the LPG tank as the gas pick up leaves about 8/10 litres in. This will assure others on here when they fill up they only get about 58ltrs in a 67 ltre tank. Put £10 of petrol in at the same time as you wont get the car started if you run out of petrol even when hot.

Another thing is you cant empty the LPG tank as the gas pick up leaves about 8/10 litres in. This will assure others on here when they fill up they only get about 58ltrs in a 67 ltre tank. Put £10 of petrol in at the same time as you wont get the car started if you run out of petrol even when hot.

Hi I put in £20 worth of petrol about every six months, On most systems the car petrol gauge works as normal (as with mine & the previous 2 cars ive had on lpg) If I was to need £10 worth of petrol every time I filled £25 worth of lpg I would have to tow a tanker behind me

Hi I put in £20 worth of petrol about every six months, On most systems the car petrol gauge works as normal (as with mine & the previous 2 cars ive had on lpg) If I was to need £10 worth of petrol every time I filled £25 worth of lpg I would have to tow a tanker behind me

hmmmm..... does that mean that you can never actually use the last 8/10 litres .... definitely need the 84l tank then. Also sounds a really sensible idea to carry 5 litres of petrol on a can in the boot - just in case it's switched to petrol and you haven't realised.

Mike

Hi 39buss If your looking for an ls400 already converted to gas you may have a long wait. You will probably find that its better to buy a good example & get it converted yourself. You can pick up a really mint mark1 or 2 for under a grand a mark3 for around £1500 & a mark 4 for around £2500/£3k. If you are looking at one already converted You will find the mk1&2s have starship enterprise mileage going for up to £1500, A good lowish mileage mk3 in excess of £3k, & a mark4 in excess of £4k.

I looked for 18 months to find my Mark4, I looked at about 40 cars & must have phoned over a 100 only 3 were converted a mark 4 for £3500 with 278,000 miles which had been re sprayed by Ray Charles ( one of the worst cars Ive ever seen)

a 96 mark 3 import celsior very nice condition low mileage on eBay it sold for £3400, ( it was well over due a cambelt change & had a single point conversion which wasn't set up correctly) & a white 95 mark3 which had 105k on the clock ? no mot/tax looked like it hadn't turned a wheel for 6 months or been cleaned inside or out for 5 years, tryes were all odd / cheap & worn unevenly suspension was shot on the rear, really abused & from the hole in the drivers seat bolster 300K + For £2200.

In the end I bought a 2 owner full lexus history 98 mark 4 ex MDs car black with grey leather 132k just had its 2nd cambelt change with water pump & idlers + full service for £2350 including 6 months tax spent £1750 on a brc multipoint lpg system with 2 years warranty. The car stands me in £4k but I see it being worth about £4300 ( I wouldn't sell it for £5k).

Just my pennys worth, its just how it worked out best for me. Good luck with the hunt, but my advice would be dont rule out a goodun without a conversion, or if money is tight a starship mileage mk1/2 on lpg is probably the best value. ta Mark

hmmmm..... does that mean that you can never actually use the last 8/10 litres .... definitely need the 84l tank then. Also sounds a really sensible idea to carry 5 litres of petrol on a can in the boot - just in case it's switched to petrol and you haven't realised.

Mike

Hi Mike my tank runs to empty or as near as,i get 56 litres in if the weather is cold which is correct for my tank, it will only fill 80% ( allows for expansion if it gets warmer). You only have a large amount of gas left in a tank when the tank is fitted incorrectly, with a doughnut tank( not level) or a cylinder type tank with the valve at the wrong angle. I have never had an issue with running out of petrol as my petrol gauge works normally & if it runs out of gas my gas gauge goes red & bleeps. It is a good Idea to get the biggest tank poss though, you will loose about an inch in height in your boot. The new gas systems are top notch & all automatic (fool proof) so unless you are in the habbit of running out of petrol normally you will not find it any different with a gas conversion. I assume your car has a fuel gauge as does mine. You have a gs300 so will need a flashlube kit fitted with the conversion ( prevents valve seat ressesion).

Hi Mark,

I see you've a 98, Mk 4 - is that the facefift model with Xeon/crystal lights, sat. nav etc? (I'm a bit confused with which mark is which ?) I've also bought one like that with 96K on. Just considering whether to go ahead with LPG conversion. Best quote I've had for a multi-point is £1500 + vat from LPG Car Co., Covntry, £1595 + vat from local small garage in Meldreth near Royston, Herts. plus one £1700+vat P'boro, £1995 +vat from GasTech & £1850 +vat Herts Autogas, Knebworth. An advice - go for cheapest of what appears to be reputable business- ie not a small local garage. What do yuo think? Aslo. ith your '98 car, car mpg do yuo get with lpg? Ta, Lexusdriver.

Hi 39buss If your looking for an ls400 already converted to gas you may have a long wait. You will probably find that its better to buy a good example & get it converted yourself. You can pick up a really mint mark1 or 2 for under a grand a mark3 for around £1500 & a mark 4 for around £2500/£3k. If you are looking at one already converted You will find the mk1&2s have starship enterprise mileage going for up to £1500, A good lowish mileage mk3 in excess of £3k, & a mark4 in excess of £4k.

I looked for 18 months to find my Mark4, I looked at about 40 cars & must have phoned over a 100 only 3 were converted a mark 4 for £3500 with 278,000 miles which had been re sprayed by Ray Charles ( one of the worst cars Ive ever seen)

a 96 mark 3 import celsior very nice condition low mileage on eBay it sold for £3400, ( it was well over due a cambelt change & had a single point conversion which wasn't set up correctly) & a white 95 mark3 which had 105k on the clock ? no mot/tax looked like it hadn't turned a wheel for 6 months or been cleaned inside or out for 5 years, tryes were all odd / cheap & worn unevenly suspension was shot on the rear, really abused & from the hole in the drivers seat bolster 300K + For £2200.

In the end I bought a 2 owner full lexus history 98 mark 4 ex MDs car black with grey leather 132k just had its 2nd cambelt change with water pump & idlers + full service for £2350 including 6 months tax spent £1750 on a brc multipoint lpg system with 2 years warranty. The car stands me in £4k but I see it being worth about £4300 ( I wouldn't sell it for £5k).

Just my pennys worth, its just how it worked out best for me. Good luck with the hunt, but my advice would be dont rule out a goodun without a conversion, or if money is tight a starship mileage mk1/2 on lpg is probably the best value. ta Mark

Well i did a longer motorway stint and i managed to get 175miles from my 42l fill up. I still only managed to fill 42l up from an empty tank.

I rang my LPG guy to ask about the larger 84l tanks and he said that he had never heard of one that size that could fit in the spare wheel well of my lexus. He wanted to know what the tank model/make was and he can look into maybe changing it for me. Did you have to do any cutting or shaping to get the tank to fit?

Hi Mark,

I see you've a 98, Mk 4 - is that the facefift model with Xeon/crystal lights, sat. nav etc? (I'm a bit confused with which mark is which ?) I've also bought one like that with 96K on. Just considering whether to go ahead with LPG conversion. Best quote I've had for a multi-point is £1500 + vat from LPG Car Co., Covntry, £1595 + vat from local small garage in Meldreth near Royston, Herts. plus one £1700+vat P'boro, £1995 +vat from GasTech & £1850 +vat Herts Autogas, Knebworth. An advice - go for cheapest of what appears to be reputable business- ie not a small local garage. What do yuo think? Aslo. ith your '98 car, car mpg do yuo get with lpg? Ta, Lexusdriver.

Hi lexus driver we have the same model.

Some very keen prices you have been quoted there, you would want to go with someone fairly local to you, as you will need to take it back after 500 to a 1000 miles for recallibration ( that was what was asked in my case) If you can get a brc plug & drive kit at them prices you are on to a winner ( I am more than happy with mine) prins also seems to be a recomended option. OMVL kits are also good. Avoid Turkish or East european kits, Dutch or Italian kits are the ones to go with. As for mpg with my brc kit £ for £ 30mpg London stop start traffic,motorway 85mph (Europe of couse) 50mpg uk 68 mph 60 mpg & uk 56mph motorway (done it once) 68mpg. Thats at petrol 106p & gas at 49p. You should save at least 40 to 45% on your fuel bill. As for the kit all I can say is I am more than happy with my BRC conversion, It hasn't missed a beat in a year.

Hi Mike my tank runs to empty or as near as,i get 56 litres in if the weather is cold which is correct for my tank, it will only fill 80% ( allows for expansion if it gets warmer). You only have a large amount of gas left in a tank when the tank is fitted incorrectly, with a doughnut tank( not level) or a cylinder type tank with the valve at the wrong angle. I have never had an issue with running out of petrol as my petrol gauge works normally & if it runs out of gas my gas gauge goes red & bleeps. It is a good Idea to get the biggest tank poss though, you will loose about an inch in height in your boot. The new gas systems are top notch & all automatic (fool proof) so unless you are in the habbit of running out of petrol normally you will not find it any different with a gas conversion. I assume your car has a fuel gauge as does mine. You have a gs300 so will need a flashlube kit fitted with the conversion ( prevents valve seat ressesion).

Hi Mark, - my current car is a GS300 but being swapped next week for an LS430 from a Lexus dealer with 12 month Lexus warranty on it. Do you think I will need to wait until the warranty expires before getting the conversion done. Also does your point about losing an inch in the boot still apply if I put the 84l tank in place of the LS' spare wheel?

Thanks

Mike

Hi Mark, - my current car is a GS300 but being swapped next week for an LS430 from a Lexus dealer with 12 month Lexus warranty on it. Do you think I will need to wait until the warranty expires before getting the conversion done. Also does your point about losing an inch in the boot still apply if I put the 84l tank in place of the LS' spare wheel?

Thanks

Mike

Hi Mike with the lagest tank you will loose the inch ( no big deal), as for the lexus warranty you had better check ( I would hope no), there is a 2 year warranty on the gas conversion,what lexus might say is they will not cover any motor damage down to the lpg conversion, that should be covered by the lpg conversion. check to make sure though.

Thanks

Mike

I've got a 70l tank in my 430 and loose and inch or so off the boot floor - not sure about 84L - I seriously doubt one that big fits. comfortably

Thanks

Mike

I've got a 70l tank in my 430 and loose and inch or so off the boot floor - not sure about 84L - I seriously doubt one that big fits. comfortably

The larger tanks have no hole in the middle with the valve on the outside, would have fitted on my 400

On my 430 I get 17-18% less mpg, I recon about 18-19,000 before payback which for me is 18 months ish based on a £1800 install

firstly your install is cheaper so about 15,000 to recover so I recon you are about right on the 2 years. This is of course ignoring the fact that the car will be easier to sell and command a higher price.

LPG price is a factor - 59p is astonomical - I pay 43p.

Shop around - there are often 'energy/gas' suppliers rather than Petrol stations. Some have deals where you pay up front and get a cheaper price. I pay £100 to get gas at 43p otherwise its 47p, still way cheaper than 59p, even my local Shell station is 49p

You pay up front for cheaper LPG? could you give the company name, I would like to find a place like that in Glasgow. thanks

Ace energy - but thats no good for you as its in Halifax. - I stopped at a plcae near Wolverhampton once and they had advance prices of 37p/litre

ring round your local suppliers

Glasgow suppliers don't seem to be too bad to start off with

43.0p / Litre Glasgow Calor Centre Glasgow

48.9p / Litre Asda Stores Ltd Glasgow

48.9p / Litre Morrisons - Glasgow Glasgow

49.9p / Litre BP Castle Bank Service Station Glasgow

50.9p / Litre Shell Hillington Glasgow

I use Asda's, must find the Calor Centre- Thanks for that!

Been on the net this morning and found an LPG conversion specialist. LPG North West at Preston. Says he can fit a single point kit with 70lt tank for £900 all in. The filler goes in the NS rear bumper. About 3" x 3" and sticks out about 5mm.

The only extra cost will be £35 to have the filler point sprayed to match the car (its black when fitted).

He gives a 2 years guarantee and says that it will be a OMVL reducer and all the other bits are common to all the kits.

He also gives a certificate for the insurance. He is LPG affiliated or something.

This sounds really cheap to me. At that rate i will be even within 9 months and saving money by the next MOT.

Does it sound about right to you ? Is it too cheap ? Is the OMVL kit the correct for my model, a 93 MKll ? :unsure:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links