Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Keys

gds

my local lexus dealer in southampton does not want to know about getting me a spare key for my 1999 manufactured personal import a 2 litre altezza. can anyone help, thanks gds

I have a 1999 AS200 and got a key cut at my local locksmiths for under a tenner.

The ignition system is not chipped and the alarm system fitted to keep the insurance company happy operates the remote central locking, so the new key didn't need to have the remote control,therefore, a normal Toyota blank was used and the key was cut by copying the original.

I did contact Lexus of Leicester for a new key and they had no problem in obtaining one for me but said it would take a week or so to arrive!

Hope this helps......

it doesnt matter if it doesnt have a 17 digit VIN or not, my family has often had japanese home market cars, and when we needed parts we gave them the VIN and we can get the parts no problem, at first it was a bit difficult as they had never done that before - contact toyota GB customer services, they can give u a route to go on etc.

cheers rob

here is the latest on my key problem, clever old toyota have linked the physical key electronically to the car, so unless the immobiliser is immobilised a physical will not start the car. so to produce a second key, the kit to read the cars immobiliser and then to program the chip in the key must be used. the code is changed every time the car is started. toyota say uk lexus dealers are not equipped, don`t loose your only key ;)

i have a 98 v300 aristo and i have the same problem, just one key. one of my fears is to lock it in the boot.

my local dealer once told me they could get me one for about 120ish pounds.

my car just has the key but no immobiliser. i have a seperate alarm system. my local toyota dont want to know.

BATCH have you got details of the lock smith. maybe worth the site seeing to leicester

batch says he does not have the electronic system which prevents his mechanical key from starting the car, its the ignition you know!! though not crystal clear he sacrificed the toyota immobilser for an alarm.

cheers, :duh:

It is/was my understanding that most used Jap imports don't have security systems ie alarms, immobilisers and chipped keys as standard (very little car crime in Japan?) - This is why the insurance companies insist on new cat 1 alarms being fitted. My Pajero was the same.

Are Security systems options in Japan? I own a AS200 is the RS200 ignition system different?

In my case the key was not chipped and, therefore, a standard Toyota unchipped blank was used and copied from my original on a laser cutter. Took about 2 mins to cut it!

The Locksmith I used was Morgan's, 575 Saffron Lane, Leicester LE2 6UN - Tel 0116 244 0338.

I would think any locksmith that cuts car keys should be able to do the job.

Hope this helps............

to all, here`s how you check it out, open your key, one small cross head screw, remove the chip and Battery container and see if the mechanical key will start the car. i am told that the container can be sensed if in the car so to be sure it is nowhere near.

cheers, :)

• 2 months later...

Hi there, I've just joined. I found these guys www.johnrichards.co.uk based in Liverpool. Graham and John are fantastic and seem to be able to get everything locks or keys based for fair price in 10 days or less, or DHL for a premium price.

Question. I have Toyota Harrier aka RX-300. I had keys stolen. I'm getting new keys, but question is how does the replacement master key with transmitter get matched to car? If there is no immobiliser built into car there must be some way or getting car receiver to notice a new replacement key?

Thanks for any help,

Nick

:)

:question::question: hello, do your new keys work :question::question:

my latest researches in the key saga reveal that toyota uk get there keys cut by a company called "access and locks and keys" in margate but they only deal with toyota.

i have also been in touch with a member " masashi san" in japan.

"san" is a form of respect added to japanese names"

he has found out from a toyota dealer that domestic toyotas do not have the key/lock number on the key but on a small metal tag given to the buyer. if this is lost the number is behind the panel on the drivers door. with this the japanese dealer can get another key. have yet to find out about the immobiliser problem.

cheers, gds

hi guys, i have good news. i had my 98 aristo keys cut by a lock smith in hemel hempstead town centre. i was really impressed and happy. i had to keep asking him if he was sure it will work. i dont know about the altezza but mines had a grove on the side but the new one doesn't, but it still works. it took less than three minutes and it cost me £12 for two keys.

the good thing is i dont have the immobiliser chip. i have a seperate alarm/ immobiliser.

TIMPSON TEL 01442 240291 OR HEAD OFFICE 08005972001

• 6 months later...

Hi Guys

I had the same problem regarging the keys i have a Altezza RS200 and looks the the solution to the immobiliser probem is ,some but not all of TIMPSON (high st brand shops) have the laser cutter to do keys,also in the shop itsself some shops have a machine that the locksmith uses and by putting the key in this machine he can tell within seconds whether there is a transponder in the key or not.but as a final check as GPS suggested in another post remove the plip unit from the key and see if the car starts without it keeping the plip unit away from the car when you do this and if starts HAPPY DAYS you can get key cut for about £10.

moral of the story looks like not all Altezzas have the immobiliser built in as standard.

Hope this helps :D :D :D

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links