Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Need The Wisdom Of The Experianced

timbo_1000

Well , here I am a new SC250 owner just converted from the Mitsi 3000 GT.

Anyhow heres my questions , please if you have any input please help ! Please remember that although I'm :iraqi-info-minister: that all of us had to start somewhere !

1) I assume this vehicle is a normal rear wheel drive ?

2) Does this car have any toys such as traction control ?

3) What are the things ( in terms of potential faults ) that I should be keeping an eye on !

4) How does this car drive , such as its handling etc as I'm used to 4 wheel drive , will I come unstruck on corners if I'm not carefull ?

5) What are the best mods to do to this car for improving handling and performance , such as can you get a DSBC for it and will the twin turbos handle the extra boost ?

6) Mine has a boring radio cassette in it , can i get a good mounting kit to fit a standard size uk spec headunit ? and if so from where ?

7) What oil does this car like ( is something like 'Magnatec' OK or is Mobil 1 needed ) and how often should I change it ?

Ok I think thats enough for my 1st post and thank you all for your patience and help !!!

Well so far ( since buying this superb car ) I have answered a few of my questions myself as below but could still do with a little input from you guys !!

1) Yes it is.

2) On a few models but sadly not mine.

3) Apparently the fuel ECU can be a bit iffy and on my car the power steering is leaking at the gatter - is this common ?

4) Damn good for a rear wheel , not overly stable but a good handler if you know how to use it.

5) ????

6) So far have 'jammed' a standard single din radio and single din posket but have still to fill the full gap so a kit would be great !!!!

7) Well I opted for 'COmma XTech 5w40' which apparently is produced by the same plant as Mobil 1 and only costs £11.50 a gallon and have been told should be changed every 5000 miles

Anyone who can correct the above if incorrect or fill in the blanks then thank you , hopefully some others will find the above a little helpfull if they are new to this marvelous vehicle.

• 2 weeks later...

Timbo also the guys n gals at:

http://www.lexus.australia.as/entry.htm

are always willing to help out with any info ya may need.

As for the oil change rate, 5000kms is indeed what is recommended for the TT.

Performance mods - cold air intake is your first (and cheapest) step, check this out:

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~irwige/BFI1.htm

A dyno proven and near FREE BFI (Big Friggen Intake).

After that exhaust then an FMIC (front mounted intercooler) is the way to go, the standard ceramic twin turbos arent much chop above 14psi as they tend to want to self destruct at much higher (steel ball bearing is the way to go).

As for SC 250, theres no such breed of dog. The SC label is obviously associated with the lexus brand (Lets EXport to US) and the TT never made it to the US, the Japanese kept that lil baby for themselves ;)

People just seem to want to call the Soarer a Lexus for umm status I guess, though why is beyond me as most Japanese Soarers had more options than their LEXUS counterparts.

my 2 cents. :D

Im assuming you know what an intercooler is Timbo, ahh bugger it, its basically a radiator for your airflow into your engine, the cooler you can get your inlet air the more dense that air becomes. The more dense the air the more fuel can be fed into the cylinders with said air while maintaining the appropriate air/fuel ratio, more air + more fuel = more power!!

That said the standard intercooler on your soarer (like just about ALL standard turbo cars) can certainly be improved upon. The factory intercooler is quite small so doesnt get the inlet air as cold as you may like thus robbing you of some kw's. Installing a larger front mounted (uses the unheated outside air to cool the 'radiator' instead of using air from inside the engine bay that is already quite warm) intercooler will certainly gain you some more power.

For a look at an installed kit:

http://www.uniqueautos.com.au/

go there and click the 'Soarer TT intercooler kits available' link.

• 2 weeks later...

Inter Coolers - OK , think I get the idea . My car has a FMIC which is approx 1SQ.FT in size , if I want more air ( and hence O2/fuel mix ) per rev then a larger FMIC will improve cooling and hence power ?

Air Filters - I need in simple terms to increase the size of the intake side of the air box to match the intake size of the turbos ?

Oh yeah , on a separate issue , my car is knackered ! It keeps failing to start ! Ok so in 2-3 weeks it has failed to start 3 times at an annnoying 5 day interval !

Each time it turns over a dream but doesn't fire ! If left for 10-15 mins it will start 1st time !

It seemed at first to be only when hot but tonight it stalled after 2mins idling and fail to re-start !

I'm so upset ! :sad: :tsktsk:

I have no idea what to do , I've tried a short of E1 to Tc and the Dash diags show no faults , no one near here can do a full diagnostic for me !

It acts like the engine floods but that makes no sense !!!!!!!!!!!!!1

• 2 weeks later...

I know, I know............I'm a little late in replying to this post and giving out a hearty web hand shake of welcome!I am stationed on okinawa and the extremely proud papa of a '92 Soarer TT :D B)

Well timbo, yer starting prob is easily fixed, little on the spendy side however. Run yerself down to wherever you buy parts and tell them you need a fuel pump computer/control unit. I had the very same problem and that fixed it right up, at least on my car, a little bit better gas mileage now also (thanks Bill). Cost me 218.00 us :tsktsk: , so maybe 110.00 pounds for you(?)

Anyhoo, welcome and enjoy a fantastic ride!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links