Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Really Cold This Morning

Solhatt

The IS 200 starts really well indeed :)

When i got in my car this morning the display showed -20°C. The seat was rock hard and i was happy i don't have full leather or else my rear would be frozen solid. Car didn't seem to have any problems starting but the clutch, gears and servo was sluggish. Wonder how it is to start when it's -30°C. Doesn't get colder than -25°C in town but remember like last year at my girlfriends cabin it was -30°C in the morning and i was driving my moms Mazda 6. It almost didn't start! Temperatures at her cabin can get as low as -35°C

Anyone have experience starting your IS when it's -30°C?

The IS 200 starts really well indeed :)

When i got in my car this morning the display showed -20°C. The seat was rock hard and i was happy i don't have full leather or else my rear would be frozen solid. Car didn't seem to have any problems starting but the clutch, gears and servo was sluggish. Wonder how it is to start when it's -30°C. Doesn't get colder than -25°C in town but remember like last year at my girlfriends cabin it was -30°C in the morning and i was driving my moms Mazda 6. It almost didn't start! Temperatures at her cabin can get as low as -35°C

Anyone have experience starting your IS when it's -30°C?

Excellent. Your experience keeps my belief alive that mine will also start, hopefully :) As it was getting colder progressively the recent days, it seems it has taken a bit more of turns every day for the starter to start the engine. Today it is also clocking ~-15°C and I see through the window my neighbours already having problems with starting their cars. Yesterday it was only like -5°C or so. I am afraid my Battery could be on the way out, as after the night it usually shows like 12.1-12.2 V. It suppose it should be more, shouldn't it?

Update: Just gave it a try and it started just fine as any other morning. Some weird noises came out of engine bay, once starting, but everything was smooth once started. Wondering what could it have been? I noticed it only happens, when the weather is cold and car is left overnight. Anyway, I still have worries regarding my Battery. Today it was 11.8-11.9 V. If it will get even colder, I will definitely have problems in the near future.

and if there is even a slight layer of snow the country stops and police issue warnings that people should not drive.......

99.9% of people in UK do not use winter tyres hence the accidents and warnings.

coldest the car has been was at -22 and it was there for 5 days, started fine and i left it to idle for 15 minutes whilst i got my snowboard kit off, no gearbox issues and a warm cabin.

coldest the car has been was at -22 and it was there for 5 days, started fine and i left it to idle for 15 minutes whilst i got my snowboard kit off, no gearbox issues and a warm cabin.

Is that a good idea? I always thought it's best to start the car and drive it as soon as possible after - at least that's what used to be recommended, maybe it's no longer necessary...

Is that a good idea? I always thought it's best to start the car and drive it as soon as possible after - at least that's what used to be recommended, maybe it's no longer necessary...

Intresting thought. I found this one online:

http://www.jsonline.com/weather/headlines/79023122.html

However, it does not conclude anything, I believe. I suppose the car should be warmed up at least a bit (like 2-3 minutes) in extreme cold conditions before take off. Just enought to remove snow and frost off the car ;)

Intresting thought. I found this one online:

http://www.jsonline.com/weather/headlines/79023122.html

However, it does not conclude anything, I believe. I suppose the car should be warmed up at least a bit (like 2-3 minutes) in extreme cold conditions before take off. Just enought to remove snow and frost off the car ;)

It takes longer than 2-3min :whistling:

Reading the article that flyeris posted a link to shows there are pros and cons to leaving the engine to warm up before driving. It never used to be recommended as it could cause excessive engine wear as stated in the article, not sure why but that used to be the thought. Reading the IS200 owner's manual it says to allow around 10 secs idling before driving off in above freezing temps - below freezing allow a few minutes warm up before driving.

I can understand why people leave the car for longer, it's nice to get into a warm car, pity the heated drivers seat only starts to work when you sit on it!!

Reading the article that flyeris posted a link to shows there are pros and cons to leaving the engine to warm up before driving. It never used to be recommended as it could cause excessive engine wear as stated in the article, not sure why but that used to be the thought. Reading the IS200 owner's manual it says to allow around 10 secs idling before driving off in above freezing temps - below freezing allow a few minutes warm up before driving.

I can understand why people leave the car for longer, it's nice to get into a warm car, pity the heated drivers seat only starts to work when you sit on it!!

Yes it should be allowed a few mins. If you drive right away you can actually hear that it isn't good for the engine. :shutit:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links