Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is200 Auto High Fuel Consumtion

Hi guys. i have a 1999 is200 auto se. the car is great but it is kelling my pocket. i get really bad miles. When i put in £20 of fuel at around £109.9/litre. i get or even struggle to get 60 miles from it.

I do local city journeys. start stop quite short journeys but is it supposed to be this bad??

thanx for your help guys

Hi guys. i have a 1999 is200 auto se. the car is great but it is kelling my pocket. i get really bad miles. When i put in £20 of fuel at around £109.9/litre. i get or even struggle to get 60 miles from it.

I do local city journeys. start stop quite short journeys but is it supposed to be this bad??

thanx for your help guys

Well, that's quite a lot. Probably depends on your traffic. Of course short journeys affects the MPG a lot. As per my calculations, you get 18.8l/100km or 12.5 mpg. I am getting usually something like 13-14l/100km (sometimes 15) in city traffic, making it 17 mpg. I also think that my car consumes more than it should. Maybe somebody else will be able to add some figures to these.

P.S. I have switched to LPG - have driven less than one tank of LPG yet, but so far everything seems to be fine. Will tell, what are the MPGs with LPG in a few days :) A few photos after installation:

IMG_5136.jpg

IMG_5134.jpg

It’s hugely depends on your driving style - my mood in my case, I can get anywhere between 125 to 380 on a full tank on my 200 auto.

However, I worked out my average is about 25MPG (mixed roads – half motorway/half city driving)

I would do a few more tanks and get an average, and then you will see if anything wrong with yours.

Clear the ECU error code 1st.

Good luck mate

It’s hugely depends on your driving style - my mood in my case, I can get anywhere between 125 to 380 on a full tank on my 200 auto.

However, I worked out my average is about 25MPG (mixed roads – half motorway/half city driving)

I would do a few more tanks and get an average, and then you will see if anything wrong with yours.

Clear the ECU error code 1st.

Good luck mate

Probably you are right - we should look for some failure in our cars first of all. Such fuel consumptions are much bigger than they should be. P.S. I am getting from time to time a error code P0420 (Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1). It seems that some local mechanics have stolen the inside materials from the cat from the previous car owner. Could it affect MPG?

stolen the inside materials from the cat???? who would be able to do that? costs more than getting a new one.

it won't affect the MPG in my view, However, get one on eBay from someone breaking up, cost next to nothing and get it ECU reset after you change Cat.

stolen the inside materials from the cat???? who would be able to do that? costs more than getting a new one.

it won't affect the MPG in my view, However, get one on ebay from someone breaking up, cost next to nothing and get it ECU reset after you change Cat.

Well it sometimes happens here. Dunno who does it more often - the resellers of the cars or poor garages, but I think it could happen in both cases. They simply open the current catalytic converter (cut one of its walls), take the inside material (all these expensive metals inside, maybe worth like 40-50 quid) and weld the converter back. Don't ask me why :) I thought it was only like this in the past, but it seems it still happens. How much could a spare catalytic converter cost? I am sure new ones cost lots of money.

Just calculated that at 12.47 MPG which definitely isnt great.

Not sure if someone has already said this and sorry if its really basic and everyone already knows but the most accurate way to check it is to fill up completely until the fuel pump shuts off automatically, zero your milometer, drive away as normal... use at least 3/4 of the tank or even down to the empty line. Now fill up again til the fuel pump shuts off again. Note the number of litres you put in. Take the miles you drove and divide by the litres and multiply by 3.85.

Tank costs me 80euro and get about 450 miles out of it, driving fairly conservatively, trying not to ever press the pedal more than half the way in.

now thats something I've never seen installed before. i'm guessing its a new technology thats getting impletmented now? is there any benefit of having a heat exchanger?

I think these have been fitted in our country quite for a while now and, to my knowledge, it should be an obligatory part of LPG system. It is called a "LPG vaporizer/reducer". "Reducer Vaporize the LPG allowing a regular gas flow at every engine request." (probably the temperature taken from the coolant makes the process easier. also, the car won't switch from petrol to LPG untill coolant temperature reaches ~25 C).

i get about 400miles our from a tank - it is allways depends how you drive . for exmaple i dont press gas when i am taking off. i allways roll the car about 100cm (1m) before i hit the accelerator and use it very gently.

i also go watch my mpc meter and try to keep it on 40mpg.

for example, i try to go up to about 50-60 and let go off the gas. this drops down the mpg meter to 80miles per a galon mark. i then try to find this small point on your gas pedal as you pust it down and try to level it up to 40mpg

it dos take alot of practise and once you get it right you do get about 400mpg.

tip every time you fill your tank, try to reset your miliage counter. for every 1/4 of a tank you should get anywhere between 90-105miles if you are gentle.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links