Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Trc/snowcontrol

my is300 is about as much use as a chocolate fireguard inthese conditions....just hopeless lol

Agree with you there. IS 300 is without any doubt the most useless car I have ever driven on snow.

Fitted a solution though ph34r.gif No probs at all anymore in snow. smile.gif

IMG_4153.jpg

IMG_4157.jpg

WOW man! studded tires! that looks sweet :) how much did that cost you if i can ask?

WOW man! studded tires! that looks sweet :) how much did that cost you if i can ask?

They're not more expensive than normal winter tyres. These were approx £220 per corner new.

In general in UK and western European countries, the winter tyres offered are more for driving in wet weather, cut through standing water, occasionally deal with wet snow.

In Scandinavia, especially the North, you got to cope with ice and snow on all roads (incl motorways) for 6 to 9 months per year. Winter tyres are more "aggressive" but also more noisy.

Mine are the ones I used on my Evo IX which I have in Finland. They were "worn" to pass 450bhp on to icey roads, but work perfectly in the UK or on the snow in the Alps.

Coming for free with my car for the potential buyer ;)

They're not more expensive than normal winter tyres. These were approx £220 per corner new.

In general in UK and western European countries, the winter tyres offered are more for driving in wet weather, cut through standing water, occasionally deal with wet snow.

In Scandinavia, especially the North, you got to cope with ice and snow on all roads (incl motorways) for 6 to 9 months per year. Winter tyres are more "aggressive" but also more noisy.

Mine are the ones I used on my Evo IX which I have in Finland. They were "worn" to pass 450bhp on to icey roads, but work perfectly in the UK or on the snow in the Alps.

A potential good solution except that unless I'm mistaken, studded tyres have been banned for use on UK roads since the 1960s.

A potential good solution except that unless I'm mistaken, studded tyres have been banned for use on UK roads since the 1960s.

Easy answer, you're mistaken :lol:

They even still sell studdable tyres in the UK. Ask Pirelli.

I passed my MOT on these tyres 2 years ago. And when it was snowing, I was stopped by the police as they didn't understand how I managed to drive at normal speeds as everyone was crawling around. They checked the tyres and were more amazed than bothered.

People just live in the middle ages think studded tyres in 2012 are still the same as in 1960's. They think you can only drive 56mph, that you'll lose the studs, that you cannot drive on dry tarmac, etcetc.

I have driven 150mph with as well my Impreza as with the Evo on these tyres, never lost one.

As said, only inconvenience is that they're a bit more noisy and on dry tarmac, you will not have the same precision as with a good summer tyre.

Sorry, I am mistaken - but not entirely. Studded tyres can be used on UK roads when there is ice & snow on them but NOT otherwise. See section of Condition & Use regulations 1994:

"Damage to road, person or vehicle

If the tyre causes either damage to the road, or to persons, or to any vehicle using the road. This would cover such instances as if a vehicle with damaged or very oversized tyres which either caught against a person or other vehicle resulting in either damage or injury. Studded tyres also are included in this clause and if used in inappropriate conditions (i.e. where there is no ice or snow) and will damage the road surface then they would be clearly illegal."

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links