Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

This is a major problem but has only occurred twice since I have had the car (October and several thousand miles): I get in, start the engine (all is well), then shift into reverse and nothing happens, shift into drive, nothing happens. Clearly the transmission does not engage although the shifter moves through the various positions. Have tried depressing the shift lock button with no results. I then turn off the engine, restart and all is well... It happened once in October and once today. On both occasions the engine was operating temperature (in the 1st instance the car had been turned off for approximately 20 minutes, today it was off for less than 5 minutes), both times I tried to engage reverse first (from park). For the rest the transmission seems to perform flawlessly, snow mode and VSC seemed ok, even in the snow! Anyone else with a similar experience and/or fixes/suggestions? Thanks.

all the best

This is a major problem but has only occurred twice since I have had the car (October and several thousand miles): I get in, start the engine (all is well), then shift into reverse and nothing happens, shift into drive, nothing happens. Clearly the transmission does not engage although the shifter moves through the various positions. Have tried depressing the shift lock button with no results. I then turn off the engine, restart and all is well... It happened once in October and once today. On both occasions the engine was operating temperature (in the 1st instance the car had been turned off for approximately 20 minutes, today it was off for less than 5 minutes), both times I tried to engage reverse first (from park). For the rest the transmission seems to perform flawlessly, snow mode and VSC seemed ok, even in the snow! Anyone else with a similar experience and/or fixes/suggestions? Thanks.

all the best

I believe someone has had this problem before and that it was some sort of contact problem with the gear lever, i.e. not too serious. I hope I am right and that either you can find the posting on here or someone else could remember it.

could be a bit of water in the electronics ( you havent been to a car wash with an underbottom wash recently)

No car wash, but the first time I had driven through a serious rainstorm and today it was just the slush round Romford...

could be a bit of water in the electronics ( you havent been to a car wash with an underbottom wash recently)

No car wash, but the first time I had driven through a serious rainstorm and today it was just the slush round Romford...

Hi seems its probably electrical water getting into a sensor, your plastic splash guards are still fitted under the car, if you can get it up on a ramp check the connections & give them a spray with some wd40.

Hi seems its probably electrical water getting into a sensor, your plastic splash guards are still fitted under the car, if you can get it up on a ramp check the connections & give them a spray with some wd40.

Thanks for the suggestion - plenty of WD40 but no ramp - will see what I can find.

Thanks for the suggestion - plenty of WD40 but no ramp - will see what I can find.

Be quick, because if it turns out to be the box there is one on eBay now for £170 inc postage:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LEXUS-LS400-MK4-UCF2...=item23042cbc68

Lots of other spares for a Mk4 as well by the looks of it.

Very much doubt water anywhere around the gearselector...I drove through major flooding....and had starter problems after that....seemed to be related to gearstick....

took transmission tunnel apart to look at connectors etc....[took all afternoon]...there is no way water will get into that part....mine was totally dry...very well sealed.

Good Luck. :unsure:

Very much doubt water anywhere around the gearselector...I drove through major flooding....and had starter problems after that....seemed to be related to gearstick....

took transmission tunnel apart to look at connectors etc....[took all afternoon]...there is no way water will get into that part....mine was totally dry...very well sealed.

Good Luck. :unsure:

Hi

If you need a replacement auto box I have a good Mk4 one off an 80k UK supplied car

£150 delivered to London

Thanks

Maurice

07957 530340

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links