Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Burning Smell

Hi People,

I was driving yesterday and went to overtake someone. I put my foot down and did a kickdown (its an auto) and after about thirty seconds i started to smell like a burning smell. its something that i must admit ive never smelt before in my car and ive had it about six months without this happening before. it wasnt a really powerful smell but was there all the same.

this morning i smelt it again but it was more of a lingering smell rather than one that started up again.

Has anyone had anything like this happen to them?? the oil and coolant levels are fine but havent had a chance to check the auto fluid yet but just thought i would check with you guys before i start to tear the car apart trying to find the reason for the smell.

just to add there is nothing melting on the exhaust, i checked that first.

cheers guys.

Hi People,

I was driving yesterday and went to overtake someone. I put my foot down and did a kickdown (its an auto) and after about thirty seconds i started to smell like a burning smell. its something that i must admit ive never smelt before in my car and ive had it about six months without this happening before. it wasnt a really powerful smell but was there all the same.

this morning i smelt it again but it was more of a lingering smell rather than one that started up again.

Has anyone had anything like this happen to them?? the oil and coolant levels are fine but havent had a chance to check the auto fluid yet but just thought i would check with you guys before i start to tear the car apart trying to find the reason for the smell.

just to add there is nothing melting on the exhaust, i checked that first.

cheers guys.

if its comes from the outside than it could be the cat or clutch

No you don't have a clutch.

After you've been out for a run, have a feel around all the wheels, it could be a brake that's sticking giving off the hot smell, or something simple like a plastic bag has got snagged onto the exhaust somewhere and is melting. The fresh air-intake is between the bonnet and windscreen so anything in that vicinity would make you think that the smell is inside the car as it will have been sucked in.

The Lexus has now developed a new symptom.

I started the car this morning and the engine management light came on. I turned the car off and then on again and the light went off. Whilst warming the car up after this there was a lot of white smoke coming from the exhaust, I checked the oil and all was fine, then checked the coolant and the black top-up tank was empty but I topped this up last week when the snow was bad here.

What would cause these symptoms, Im thinking head gasket but praying its not cos its gonna cost a fortune to fix.

cheers guys

One way of checking if its the head gasket is obviously keep an eye on your temp dial and check to see if the heater is blowing cold air when it should be hot!

just an idea but have you ever thought that it might be a car in front of you that smells of burning??

ive done this before as my heater was set to take air from outside, i switched it to from engine and the smell went!!!

Phill

I actually thought that at first but wasnt sure.

Whats concerning me is the white smoke from the exhaust. I know its cold outside and obviously there is gonna be smoke but ive not seen this much come from the car. its not a massive amount but its quite noticable.

Thanks for the reply though mate.

Ive just spent about £400 getting a service plus new parts and tyres etc and when i start in the morning white smoke comes from mine!

Wouldnt worry too much, like you say the cold weather isnt helping, just do what i do....worry when it doesnt drive right lol

Phill

Loads of white smoke comes from mine and has done since i've ownedit apparently it's pretty much normal as the IS200 is a high emissions car,only really when the temperature isl ow it does this too nothing to worry about i've had two services and check overs by Lexus and they havn't advised anything on it

I filled the coolent up this morning as it was almost empty, checked it this afternoon and its almost empty again. checked the oil cap and there is a light brown sludge around the thread of the oil cap and a small amount on the inner centre of the cap.

I let the car heat up and left it for about twenty minutes or so. the car got upto temperature and stayed just below the half way mark. I turned everything on and it stayed there. the heater is also blowing nice and warm air also.

Im worried that if i take it out for a spin its gonna do more bloody damage.

thanks for all your help so far guys.

Gaz

Hi People,

Just thought I would update the thread just incase anyone else has the same problem as I had.

After getting a quote for nearly £1200 to repair the car I thought I would snoop around a bit and try and find any answers to the problem. It turned out to be the WATERPUMP BYPASS PIPE O-RING that had worn out so a 25p fix and some new coolant later and the car seems fine again.

Kinda figured now that the smoke and smell was the coolant being burnt off the side of the engine as it ran down from the waterpump.

Gaz

Only me again,

Just a quick question. I refilled the coolant in my Is200 and all seems ok but the lower hose from the rad that leads to the waterpump seems to compress when the car has cooled down. When the car is running the pipe is the normal shape but once it cools it kinda compresses. Also the top pipe that goes to the rad from the engine seems half empty, you can feel it when you squeeze the pipe. Does this need to be completely full ??

The heater works fine and the cars temp does not go any higher than half on the dial.

Any help appreciated

Gaz

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links