Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi All,

My ignition key broke today, the metal key has just come away from the plastic due to age. I have tried supergluing it back together, it seems strong enough so will see how it holds up.

I got the spare key out of the drawer (untouched for 2+ years) and this behaves strangely..............It will lock the car and it will start it but it won't unlock it or open the boot.

I wondered if the buttons just didn't work but the little red LED comes on so they must be OK.

As it will start the car it must be paired up to the car's ECU OK. (I assume?)

Any thoughts on why it won't unlock the car and / or boot please?

Also, anyone got a replacement? Any ideas of where to go without paying silly prices?

Thanks in advance.

Steve

Hi All,

My ignition key broke today, the metal key has just come away from the plastic due to age. I have tried supergluing it back together, it seems strong enough so will see how it holds up.

I got the spare key out of the drawer (untouched for 2+ years) and this behaves strangely..............It will lock the car and it will start it but it won't unlock it or open the boot.

I wondered if the buttons just didn't work but the little red LED comes on so they must be OK.

As it will start the car it must be paired up to the car's ECU OK. (I assume?)

Any thoughts on why it won't unlock the car and / or boot please?

Also, anyone got a replacement? Any ideas of where to go without paying silly prices?

Thanks in advance.

Steve

Hi Steve

It sounds like the spare key is the chauffer's or valet key which is purposely designed NOT to open the boot. I cant tell what model you have whilst replying but cant you flip the boot from inside the car? If, like mine, you can, but you have pressed-in the button or locked it, the key you have wont let you unlike that remote boot release.

I very much doubt that your superglueing will hold, but it might let you unlock the remote boot release. If it does, dont lock it again.

I think you will have no choice but to bite the bullet and order a replacement specifically for your car; someone else's will not do the job. My daughter broke the key off in the lock of her Vauxhall Ashtray and that was a £220 bill, and yes I tried obtaining a replacement on the cheap. Even a new ignition barrel and key still required the key to be programmed which I recall accounted for £130 of the bill.

Steve

Hi Steve,

I don't think it is the chauffeur's key because it won't let me in the vehicle at all! (doors or boot!) but it will start the vehicle and lock it.

Visually, the keys are identical and the little red LED lights up when pressing all three keys so they must be making contact.

Baffling!!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links