Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Engine Gone!

fonda

Was driving my Is200 and TRC light and engine management light came on and drove on a little bit further to find somewhere safe to pull in and when I did the car cut out and smoke or steam came from the engine and a burning smell. Got it towed to a local mechanic and after looking it over he said the rad was rotton at the bottom and had given way, he also said the head gasket was gone! I left it a day or two to try and price new rad and head gasket and when I went back today he said himself and another mechanic had a good look at it yesterday and that there was a bad smell coming back up through the rad when the engine was running and that the engine was now missing.

He reckoned the engine was roasted and that you could get the head and rad done and the car could still not be right, he recomended a new engine if it was even worth getting one!

Any ideas, opinions or other options from here would be geatly appreciated

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

nice of him to run it up for you with no coolant in it! Could have done even more damage!

I am guessing its probably not worth the expense to fix unless you can do all the work yourself? Though maybe someone else on here will know more.

I guess you have lost compression on a cylinder or that the plug or something is damaged - which case is damaged rings etc then starts to get expensive. Sorry to hear about it, hope you get it sorted.

i just got here form the states, and i brought over my lexus is300, but have been looking for another lexus over here to drive around. I've been looking at alot of the is200s on the net. You can normally find a 2000-2001 model for under 2000 quid. The motor itself might cost you atleast 1000 quid if you have to replace it. My advice would be to either find a cheap junkyard motor and slam it in there, or just to buy another car. I've owned my 2003 is300 for 3 years now and i love it, and normally most people that drive a lexus take good care of it unless its one of those younger kids with a heavy foot :P So beware of buying a lexus from a 20 year old. But if you go to places like autotrader.co.uk or motors.co.uk you can find some decent is200s with somewhat low mileage for about 2000 quid. Theres my advice for you because rebuilding the motor or putting a whole new one in is gonna cost you around the same most likely. Cheers mate.

Firstly fonda, sorry to hear of your situation, but

How old is your car???

What spec is it???

What is the condition of bodywork & interior??????

These are all questions that need answered before you commit to the expense of repairing or putting in a 2nd hand engine.

Breaking the car & selling the parts is a slow labour intensive job, if it's in good nice otherwise, stick it up for sale as it is, and you never know who may have a engine transplant in mind, or have a smashed 200 with a engine and need a good condition car to put it in.

Dont mean to kick you when you are down but it's not a good situation, like the guy told you replaceing the head and everything else could cost as much as a replacement engine, either way there is cost & risk involved.

that happened to me once mate. had to get a new engine which i fonud one for 250 pounds and labour was 300 pounds. i know how you feel mate

That was a great result Asi, getting a engine swap for £300 labour. you must have contacts :whistling:

whoa man, that sucks!

what was that, did someone say 1G-GTE from MK III Supra?

unless you are strapped for cash, and in bad need of a car,

now is the perfect time to put an engine in your car that it deserves!

personally, i would go through this engine and transmission section,

and look at what different people have done.

2JZ-GE, 2JZ-GTE, 1JZ-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-GTE, 1G-GTE... another 1G-FE?

or you could pull your motor and blueprint it from the inside out...

you have many options my friend.

good luck with whatever choice you make.

my condolences on the loss of your current engine.

that happened to me once mate. had to get a new engine which i fonud one for 250 pounds and labour was 300 pounds. i know how you feel mate

That was a great result Asi, getting a engine swap for £300 labour. you must have contacts :whistling:

couple of mates are mechanics and the one done mines worked for vw and at weekends he done my car so it was all good and also my cousin owns a garage Cruise Motorsports so had a few options

• 2 weeks later...
sorry to hear about that mate,

if u decided to put a new engine in, i would recommend the Yamaha BEAMS ...

why??? it makes no sense at all. they guy has a US spec IS300 so why would he want to put a 2 litre in? also BEAMS means nothing - i guess you mean the 3s-ge but beams also applies to the 1g-fe .

I would get a second opinion of the engine from a different garage to be honest - especially if the garage runs the engine without any coolant i would avoid them!

sorry to hear about that mate,

if u decided to put a new engine in, i would recommend the Yamaha BEAMS ...

why??? it makes no sense at all. they guy has a US spec IS300 so why would he want to put a 2 litre in? also BEAMS means nothing - i guess you mean the 3s-ge but beams also applies to the 1g-fe .

I would get a second opinion of the engine from a different garage to be honest - especially if the garage runs the engine without any coolant i would avoid them!

as above the yamaha means nothing too. most of the toyota engines had the help of yamaha when in development also he's right about the beams bit it means jack!!!!

and came on both 4 and 6 cylinder engines.

The OP has an IS200 that is toast not a 300.

Engines sell for the IS200 from £250 - £350, removal and re- fitting can be done by a halfway decent mechanic in 6 hours with time for coffee and probably biscuits.

To put a 4cyl 3S-GE into an IS200 is a huge amount of work and really not worth it at all for the tiny power increase.

The OP has an IS200 that is toast not a 300.

Engines sell for the IS200 from £250 - £350, removal and re- fitting can be done by a halfway decent mechanic in 6 hours with time for coffee and probably biscuits.

To put a 4cyl 3S-GE into an IS200 is a huge amount of work and really not worth it at all for the tiny power increase.

I agree 100% with what Yeldarb posted!

And also, their is a big difference between the standard 3S-GE vs the BEAMS 3S-GE, although both heads are Yamaha.

http://www.beams-redtop.com/index.htm

Main difference is compression ratio, but also throttle bodies and I believe that the BEAMS has coil packs and the other 3S-GE/GTEs have distributor caps.

Yes I do know that the 1G-FE had a BEAMS option as well, but I am not sure about that information.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links