Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Retro Fitting A Ls400 Satnav

My 98 ls400 has the Satnav fitted. It is better than the standard version fitted to Porsche (even has a touch screen!), but being 12 years old the data is way out of date, etc. Is it as good as the latest TomTom? No way! The updated disk, from Lexus close to £200! So don't waste your time, grab one of the portable ones!

Fair comment above - TomTom have all sorts of Satnavs these days, and the money you save getting one of them over a Lexus unit would probably afford you a decent fitting system, other than the suction cup mount for the windscreen - I'm sure there has to be other fitting options for Tomtom units.

But of course it won't look original which could be why you want the lexus unit.

The built in SatNav was only a feature of the later Mk IV SL400 which was reputed to be the first car in the world to have such a thing. B) B)

I don't know the techy issues about introducing a Mk IV central binnacle into a ’96 model but whilst nothing is supposed to be impossible, I wouldn’t mind betting that this would come close.

:rolleyes:

Rod

It's not just a case of putting it into the centre console, you'll also need to run cables into the boot where the computer for it is and into the speedo binnacle for the GPS receiver, that's assuming the screen will fit, it's quite a bulky unit because the MKIV satnav is based on a small CRT screen not an LCD one like newer sat navs, the design of what is behind the dash might have been altered for the MKIV's to accommodate the unit.

The data can be updated to 2006 according to the guy that was trying to sell me an S reg which may be sufficient for most journeys but the amount of work involved in fitting - even assuming the dash is compatible - leaves me wondering why?

Moreover, you will have modified the car for insurance purposes. You could buy a newer car with Sat Nav as standarded.

The best solution would be to buy a good quality portable.

Steve

I got a cheap portable one from eBuyer for £49.99 + P&P. brilliant. Its really good. And if you don't mind a small amount of software piracy you can make them run Tom Tom for free. I have stuck with the standard "Turbo Dog" software on mine. I can't get over how good it is for the money.

EDIT: Here is the link: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/167473 its gone up to £54.99 since I bought mine.

Remember its not only the Sat Nav, the unit on a LS400 Mk 1v also controls the audio system and Air Con/Climate Control.

BTW mine came with the original disc which only had Birmingham and London on it.

I now have the updated disc and its very accurate, although it does not have POI or Post Code entry.

I recently had an appointment in the centre of Bristol a destination I have also done with a Tomtom , the Lexus took me a mush better and direct route and placed me smack , bang outside the building .

As for fitting this system to an older LS (if at all possible ) I think it would cost so much money you could probably buy a 2000 LS430 !!

I've got a standalone Satnav as well as Tomtom mobile so thats not an issue. I was simply interested in upgrading the dash of the car really. I would have thought that it wouldn't have been much more difficuilt that replacing the CD player with an aftermarket head unit but it sounds like there is more too it than that.

Ahh well if you don't ask.... an all that!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links