Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

What Fuel For Rx400h?

I am after some advice from all the RX400h people out there.

I have always filled up my car with Shall v-power 99oct fuel. Ages ago I heard somewhere that all Jap cars perform better on 99oct fuel rather than the standard 95oct, better in fuel economy and acceleration.

Its almost like OCD that I have to now fill with Shell v-power and I sort of want to go back to 95oct, but feel like I am downgrading my car if I do this.

What are you thoughts on fuel, do you think stick with v-power or do you think there is nothing in it between these fuels?

Any feedback or advice would be gratefully received.

You can use either fuel, it won't cause any trouble. I use V Power mainly because I like that the engine sounds so much smoother, but I'm sure you'll find the majority of owners will run on 95 RON and won't have a single problem.

Not sure the RX engine is tuned to run 'better' on the Super. I did some anecdotal testing on my RX and found little difference in anything other than engine note. By comparison our Aygo returns better MPG and increased efficiency on Super. But I can't bring myself to feed it that stuff regularly ;)

I would have thought the V6 3L would be better suited to Super than the 3CYL 1L engine of the Aygo.

I just did a 1500 mile trip to Europe and tried both to see the difference.

Driving at about 70 to 80 mph consistently (at night so it was possible!) I found that I got about 1 - 1.5 MPG improvement but I did not drive the same road twice using different fuels to compare exactly.

I also tried BP Ultimate vs supermarket 98RON fuels

The supermarket stuff had very little improvement over regular fuel ... make what you will of that!

• 2 weeks later...

I asked the salesperson a similar question when we bought our RX300, having found a slight benefit on our previous 530i BMW. He said there was no point, and I actually think that was good advice. However, I do occasionally fill one tank with V-power or equivalent, more to act as a cleaning agent. Must admit it seems to produce no identifiable improvement in mpg.

I recall "Which?" magazine tested higher performance fuel and additives, and only found a benefit for the better fuels in cars specifically stating they required it - I think some highly tuned Audi (RS models?) and VW, and doubtless other sporty models, specify higher RON fuels.

• 2 months later...

Thanks for the interesting replies.

Well I decided to go and do some accurate testing as I have used V Power for many many years and its almost an addiction that I feel I have to use v power only, which can be a pain when you are down to a quarter of a tank as you have to plan in where the nearest Shell is, I even flicked on the petrol station POIs on my sat nav.

So recently as my local Shell closed for refurb, I was forced to put in normal fuel 95RON and I decided to reset my MPG and see what happens.

I drive exactly the same route every day and drive the same way. I have not done long journeys or anything to give a false figure, nor have I changed anything, i.e. heated seat, load or aircon use. So this is a spot on representation of one persons use.

On V-Power 99RON fuel, I was consistantly getting between 29.8 - 30 MPG, I am not heavy footed with the throttle, but I do have a few hills, traffic and queues around and some areas where you need a bit of oomf to get out of junctions. Car performed well, I could not comment on the sound of the engine if it were smoother or not, its bloomin quiet and purrs as usual.

On normal 95RON fuel, Over a lot of mileage since posting this post in Feb, I am now consistantly getting 31.5 - 31.7 MPG which no matter how hard I tried I would never see with v-power on my routes, I feel no difference at all in performance or any change in smoothness of the engine. Plus I have the added bonus that I can fill up anywhere now!

So in summary, I think v-power makes no significant difference to the Lexus RX400h at all and is a waste of money, especially at todays fuel costs.

Keep in mind, I am very pro v-power as I definitely felt performance advantages when I used it in my Subaru STi and BMW Z3 M-Coupe which I used to own, so I believe there are models of cars that will benefit from the fuel but I would question if it is more efficient as I only got 18MPG in the STi, but that was a stupid car to own and run.

So there you go, that is my findings and I think there is a very fair and accurate representation for anyone out there who is considering it.

:)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links