Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Car Not Getting Hot

mattc

OK then random problem alert.

I took my car out today for the first time since saturday (the problem was not present on saturday). It obviously takes a few minutes and a few more in the cold weather for the car to get to temp.

So as I was driving along I was thinking that I was a bit cold and looked down to notice the the temp gauge was just about past the second marker.

Strange me think as it has always sat between the 5th and 6th markers on the gauge.

I think that it might be because I haven't long set off. So I look back at it after around 35minutes driving its still in the same palce and the heaters aren't that warm either.

I get where I'm going then on the way back it gets up to around 4 when sat in some trafiic. So when I get home I leave it running and check all the pipes are warm which they are so think it might be the thermostat has failed open and so the water is passing through the rad all the time.

So check the rad that not warm so then leave it to get up to temp and see if the fans come on. Which they do.

So everything seems fine just a random case of car not appearing to get warm?

Any checks that I might be able to do without dropping all the water out?????

Ok thought that the thermostat opened when the fans kicked in like my older cars.

Didn't check the rad when the fans where on so will try that tomorrow, to see if the water is circulating.

The fans kick in at 93c, might have to get a new stat

• 4 weeks later...

matt did you get round to your heater matrix flush ? did it help ? if so it might be worth flushing and reverse flushing your whole system as a build up of crud can accumulate at the thermostst and prevent it from closing properly hence overcooling- i think you would need to reverse flush as that usually moves build up by virtue that the water is going in the opposite direction to normal

matt did you get round to your heater matrix flush ? did it help ? if so it might be worth flushing and reverse flushing your whole system as a build up of crud can accumulate at the thermostst and prevent it from closing properly hence overcooling- i think you would need to reverse flush as that usually moves build up by virtue that the water is going in the opposite direction to normal

No not yet, but think I need to do it now :winky:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links