Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Help Please - New Windscreen Needed (cowboys Need Not Apply ..again)

Arghhhh is a good place to start .....

Had the bodywork sorted on my ls400 .. but the windscreen shattered on removal. A loveley Norwich based company who i won't name (i expect theres some rules about that anyway) ..lets just say they aren't as good as the name suggests ...have fitted another one which has left my lovely ls400 looking like a :tsktsk: cortina from the 70's ... a lovely bright green strip across the top of the window .. all I need now is my name stuck underneath and a pair of fluffy dice hung over the mirror .....

In addition there is a LOAD of road noise now ( I don't think it has been sealed properly) .. and the wipers haven't been realigned properly to they smash into the plastic base on every wipe. I won't even mention the state they have left the side trims in on the windscreen :crybaby:

On speaking to the ower of said company I was told he can only get them in green stripe or grey stripe .... or bronze import eventually. So i rang lexus Norwich .. (fantastic people by the way .. very polite very very helpful) and got a very acceptable price on a genuine windscreen ..believed to have the proper full gradient green tint. Fantastic.

Then i find out who they use to fit the screens .... the phrase in my head here is "over my dead body are THEY touching my car again)....

So .. does anyone know a good, reasonable windscreen fitter in the Gt Yarmouth / Norwich area who will either fit a supplied windscreen or can get a proper ls400 screen (ie. full gradient tint - not a clevor trevor type stripe)?

many thanks ....

Iain

ps sorry for wall of text - still calming down from earlier ....

Arghhhh is a good place to start .....

Had the bodywork sorted on my ls400 .. but the windscreen shattered on removal. A loveley Norwich based company who i won't name (i expect theres some rules about that anyway) ..lets just say they aren't as good as the name suggests ...have fitted another one which has left my lovely ls400 looking like a :tsktsk: cortina from the 70's ... a lovely bright green strip across the top of the window .. all I need now is my name stuck underneath and a pair of fluffy dice hung over the mirror .....

In addition there is a LOAD of road noise now ( I don't think it has been sealed properly) .. and the wipers haven't been realigned properly to they smash into the plastic base on every wipe. I won't even mention the state they have left the side trims in on the windscreen :crybaby:

On speaking to the ower of said company I was told he can only get them in green stripe or grey stripe .... or bronze import eventually. So i rang lexus Norwich .. (fantastic people by the way .. very polite very very helpful) and got a very acceptable price on a genuine windscreen ..believed to have the proper full gradient green tint. Fantastic.

Then i find out who they use to fit the screens .... the phrase in my head here is "over my dead body are THEY touching my car again)....

So .. does anyone know a good, reasonable windscreen fitter in the Gt Yarmouth / Norwich area who will either fit a supplied windscreen or can get a proper ls400 screen (ie. full gradient tint - not a clevor trevor type stripe)?

many thanks ....

Iain

ps sorry for wall of text - still calming down from earlier ....

Sorry to hear about your trouble Iain.

Last year I had to have a replacement screen on insurance. 2 surly :tsktsk: youngsters from an approved national firm did the job. Screen fine but they buggered the side trims and wipers. The firm sent a very nice man to sort the wipers out who told me that they were specifically to note the positioning and operation of the wipers on both Lexus and Mercs before and after the job. The youngsters hadnt. No comeback on the trim.

I dont know the answer to your question but I cant think that its road noise you are getting unless theyve buggered the rubber strip/not refitted it correctly. Hope you get sorted.

Steve

It had all new seals put in as well .. which is why I think they haven't bonded it properly ..

Almost on par with driving with the windows wound down a little if you know what I mean ...

I wish people that didn't know what they are doing would leave well alone and let someone qualified do the job !

About 3 years ago I had a replacement fitted by Autoglass, and they did a pretty reasonable job. I think the insurance excess was £100 or so. It was the middle of winter, cold and raining, and yet they proposed to come to my house to carry out the work. Realising that they couldn't possibly do a proper job outside in the freezing cold, I opted to go to their premises (about 10 miles away) where they could work on it under cover, in relative comfort and with (theoretically) more comprehensive resources to hand. No drama I was relieved to say. The top-tint was a match as per the original, too, BTW. Perhaps I was just fortunate....

It had all new seals put in as well .. which is why I think they haven't bonded it properly ..

Almost on par with driving with the windows wound down a little if you know what I mean ...

I wish people that didn't know what they are doing would leave well alone and let someone qualified do the job !

Iain, were you there when it was fitted. With mine, I was and I saw them put the gunge all way around from a mastic gun. No leakes or wind noise.

Did they fit a new trim across the top?

Steve

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links