Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

A Few Niggles To Sort Out, Can Anyone Help?

I have introduced myself in the new members section but I came here for help with my LS400 (how good are these cars!!!!)

Well, I love the car, so smooth and well built, really chuffed, got her stupidly cheap too.

I'm getting her ready for an mot.

Problem 1.

I think the parking brake may be sticking a bit (car was dry stored for nearly 4 years) I can't hear or feel anything when moving the car, when parking brake is engaged

It really does nothing when I put it on (getting about 4 clicks on the foot pedal, is this normal?), car can easily be driven forward.

Can anyone help with info on how I can adjust/repair this problem.

It may need cables/shoes/pads, not a problem to fit for me, where can I buy what's needed.

The parking brake light stays on at the dash.

Problem 2.

The electric mirrors are being really stubborn, when I first got the car they didn't work at all, then after lots of try's they did work, both of them and adjusted properly

I unlocked the car with the key and the alarm went off and engine wouldn't turn over, but I noticed the driver mirror doing a wee dance and making lots of clicking noises.

I replaced the 3v Battery in key, unlocked car and everything worked except the mirrors. could it be a fuse, where can i find this fuse if it is?

Problem 3. The dash dimmer lights only work sometimes, I'll try to describe the problem.

Start car, normal dash lights (dimmer set about half before full illumination click on dash knob) put on sidelights the dash only sometimes dims, put headlights on the dash always dims but

only after a few seconds have passed. Today it wouldn't dim at all, switched off car, restarted car and dash lights dimmed.

Thank you in advance for helping this noob out, great forum. cheers Alan.

For parking brake, remove back discs to check shoes inside for seizure or worn out

check P/brake cable for same.

Electrical problems possibly 'cos the the car has been unused, check all fuses etc for

corrosion, likewiise plugs and connections.

Don't forget the fuebox right of accelator pedal.

Why has the girl in your Avatar got extra hands I wonder...

The dash lights are working properly- honest. They will come on fully during the day, and drop to the "dimmed" setting when it gets dark (or when you put your finger over the sensor by the corner of the dash, at the windscreen)

They take a few seconds to sort themselves out, so they come on dimmed and then brighten when they notice it isn't dark, but it kinda looks like their broken if you don't know the logic behind it

Thanks ROYT, new there would another fuse box somewhere!

thanks for the info on the dimmer Mybikesacx500, as I said a niggle, not a worry, the way you explained it makes sense.

Am I as well going to toyota for parts or is there somewhere else I should be looking, brake parts etc.

Thanks ROYT, new there would another fuse box somewhere!

thanks for the info on the dimmer Mybikesacx500, as I said a niggle, not a worry, the way you explained it makes sense.

Am I as well going to toyota for parts or is there somewhere else I should be looking, brake parts etc.

Normally plenty of brake parts on eBay.

well I got and fitted the handbrake shoes today, cleaned everything up and adjusted brake., no joy, I need new cables now, seems they have stretched because handbrake was on during storage.

The handbrake peddle is rather reluctant to come up, it rises very slowly if I hold out the release lever for a while. New cables?

The two cables from each rear disc seem the most likely culprits, these go back to a pull rod

above th prop. shaft.

The rod and the cables all have adjusters

The parking b/pedal should return easily, not slow, linkages might just want some oil...

The two cables from each rear disc seem the most likely culprits, these go back to a pull rod

above th prop. shaft.

The rod and the cables all have adjusters

The parking b/pedal should return easily, not slow, linkages might just want some oil...

Thanks for that, I'll check it all out tomorrow.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links