Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Advice

mfennell

Hi there

I have a general question for anyone out there who has changed their brake disks and front shock absorbers on a IS200 2001,

Mine was recently at a garage to get a diagnostic done on it and of course they found the following issues

Brake disks lipped and one front shock leaking, what i was wondering is if anyone can give me some advice on replacments which are not lexus and do not cost an arm and a leg they quoted me £350 for front shock (1) and about the same for front disks and back disks seperatly.

Went to local supplier in Bromley last weekend and they quoted me £300 for two new gas front shocks (did not get make just wanted a ball park figure) , my question is does this sound good and are hydraulic(oil) or gas better shocks.

The brake disks i will fit myself if someone can give me a deacent make that i could maybe order online or get locally.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Mike.

Regarding the shocks - they are made by KYB so you can get them from anywhere.

I got my rears from BuyPartsBy who were the cheapest. Exactly as the Lexus ones just in the original KYB box.

shocks

You will be able to get a pair of fronts for around £120 then. The ones you need are the Excel-G gas shocks - these are the OEM Lexus ones.

Regarding disks, how bad are they - all disks (unless new) will develop a lip - what sort of mileage have they done? Mine are originals (car is 2001 X-reg) and are coming up to needing being changed - mileage approx 64k.

Personally, I have umm'd and ahhh'd over which to buy to replace them, and sort of am leaning towards getting the OEM Lexus ones as they have lasted very well indeed. I know its more expensive but maybe worth it. A lot of folk on here recmomend the Mintex OEM spec ones otherwise which you can get much cheaper - they do sell a disk and pad set I think too.

You changing the shocks yourself too?

I put on a set of KYBs and they are pretty good. Got them for 99 quid. Easy to fit aswell.

As for the discs I've ordered a full set with pads from CRN Performance drilled and grooved for 300. They do cheaper and without the grooves and holes.

Have a look.

I'll see what they are like next week when they arrive.

Can't go wrong with KYB shocks. I bought a front pair from the same seller that Kev Dood got his from.

As for discs/pads, I got a set of OEM discs/pads from lexuspartsdirect.co.uk- they quote was a lot cheaper than my local Lexus dealer. You can't go wrong with lexuspartsdirect.co.uk.

Regarding the shocks - they are made by KYB so you can get them from anywhere.

I got my rears from BuyPartsBy who were the cheapest. Exactly as the Lexus ones just in the original KYB box.

shocks

You will be able to get a pair of fronts for around £120 then. The ones you need are the Excel-G gas shocks - these are the OEM Lexus ones.

Regarding disks, how bad are they - all disks (unless new) will develop a lip - what sort of mileage have they done? Mine are originals (car is 2001 X-reg) and are coming up to needing being changed - mileage approx 64k.

Personally, I have umm'd and ahhh'd over which to buy to replace them, and sort of am leaning towards getting the OEM Lexus ones as they have lasted very well indeed. I know its more expensive but maybe worth it. A lot of folk on here recmomend the Mintex OEM spec ones otherwise which you can get much cheaper - they do sell a disk and pad set I think too.

You changing the shocks yourself too?

Hi there Kev

thanks for the information i appreciate it, yes if i can source them online i will change them myself it is not that big a job really just more time consuming, only thing i need to get is a spring compression tool so i can remove the spring after that it is just time.

Mike

Can't go wrong with KYB shocks. I bought a front pair from the same seller that Kev Dood got his from.

As for discs/pads, I got a set of OEM discs/pads from lexuspartsdirect.co.uk- they quote was a lot cheaper than my local Lexus dealer. You can't go wrong with lexuspartsdirect.co.uk.

Hey there thanks for the information, will have a look at site.

cheapest easily available spring compressors I found were at screwfix - were £12-14 from memory.

I too them back after using them as the alloy block ended up damaging the thread.

cheapest easily available spring compressors I found were at screwfix - were £12-14 from memory.

I too them back after using them as the alloy block ended up damaging the thread.

Cheers Kev, good to know information, will let you guys know how i get on will prob be a month or so before i can afford to get then anyway, might change brake pads and front shocks together i think, got some good info from you guys here so have the knowledge now all i need is the bucks :)).

Do you know if it expensive to change timing belt ??, i guess it would be a good idea to change the cam belt at same time will have to get a garage to do this as am not too up with the whole timing thing and i think it is too dodgy to be playing around with this stuff.

Will change the other external belts myself soon too, after that car should be good for another few miles i think as i have just given it a full service including new super spark denso plugs, my god that oil filter is no fun though !!.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links