Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Touch Screen problem

I used a cloth to clean the Touch Screen (Infotainment Screen) and it appears to have marked the glass. Only visible in bright sunlight when not switched on, but still very annoying. I have tried glass cleaner to remove the marks but that makes no difference. Use the same cloth on this iPad and no marks at all. 

So, is the screen easily marked? Never had a problem with previous cars (Honda and VW) and more importantly, can anyone suggest what I can do to restore it to an unmarked condition?

Hi colsay,

I’ve had my LBX little over 6 weeks but notices some mark on the screen when I first removed finger marks using the cloth provided.  The marks are mainly left of centre of the screen and generally in the area where you would use the fingers to scroll up and down the screen.  I assumed the marks were caused by the finger movement on the screen rather than the cleaning cloth I used.

I’ve search online and while there was no reference to the LBX, I was surprised that the issue of marks on the screen appears to have been a topic with Lexus vehicle over several years.  Unfortunately, none of the items I read gave advice that I was prepared to test at this time in case it made the matter worse.  I may speak with the garage to seek their advice and would at this stage suggest you do the same especially with our cars being so new.

Just like you, I have never experienced this issue with my previous vehicles, although this is the first vehicle that is touchscreen only.  My previous vehicles have had both touch pads and well as being touchscreen.  Fortunately, as you also said, the marks are only visible when the screen is switched off and the vehicle is in bright sunlight. 

It will be interesting to see if your article prompts other LBX owners to come forward with similar issues. 

I had difficulty cleaning marks and streaks off my screen, nearly went back to the dealer. Eventually discovered it still had the screen protective film on it. Was such a good accurate fit I never noticed.

• Like 1

Unlike an iPad, car touch screens are, as far as the ones I have had, made of plastic not glass.

Whenever I clean mine I always use a spectacle lens spray and lens cloth and wipe very gently.  I would rather have to do a second clean if I didn't get rid of all the marks first time around, rather than one heavy clean which could leave marks.

It's amazing how much dust can collect on the screen, especially if you are like me and likes to have a window open sometimes.

Hi GruffaloRider,

Thank you for your reply which I picked up this morning. I had already looked for a protective screen and was convinced that it had already been removed. Went into the garage first thing thinking “if only i could be so lucky as GruffaloRider” and within 30 seconds I was. I.O.U a drink if ever we meet. 
I hope that colsay, who started this thread, picks up these messages and can also be luck. 

Many thanks you made my day.  JohnR07

• Like 2

1 hour ago, stepppy said:

Unlike an iPad, car touch screens are, as far as the ones I have had, made of plastic not glass.

Whenever I clean mine I always use a spectacle lens spray and lens cloth and wipe very gently.  I would rather have to do a second clean if I didn't get rid of all the marks first time around, rather than one heavy clean which could leave marks.

It's amazing how much dust can collect on the screen, especially if you are like me and likes to have a window open sometimes.

Hi stepppy,

thanks for the sound advice. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, stepppy said:

i would Have thought The Spectacle glass cleaners like Opti-Clear Would be ideal for cleaning The screen You Can get these from amazon..!!!

• Like 1

Yes! It does have a protective film and the scratches are on that, not the screen itself. Many thanks to everyone who replied, from now on the screen will be treated with TLC. 

Having read these posts, I'm going into my garage now to check this out as I thought I had the same problem !!!

3 hours ago, SuperT said:

Having read these posts, I'm going into my garage now to check this out as I thought I had the same problem !!!

And would you believe it - It did have a film covering !!  Many Thanks to all those above for the information.

My son has an expensive Audi and it's screen displays every fingerprint. He uses a micro cloth which works well and I copied that successfully with my NX 350h. I then made the mistake of using a glass cleaner provided by Lexus which welded the prints to the screen! After about a month  the micro cloth was able to remove them. 

That's the biggest problem with those touchscreens - inevitable greasy finger marks! 

With my NX, I have so far kept to using the dry microfibre black cloth provided to me with the car. Sometimes it takes moderate rubbing to remove some of the marks but so far, so good. I've not personally needed anything else so far. 

I usually give mine a wipe over once every couple of weeks. I try not to do it too often, unless the screen looks really bad. 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links